I know the Tour does not have wifi, but do you know if any microSD wifi cards will work?
    07-01-09 05:45 PM
    I didn't even know such a thing existed lol... Would be awesome if that worked!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 05:55 PM
    Wow - I never heard of this before, but I guess it does exist:

msmobiles.com - Spectec launches microSD Wi-Fi card with 802.11g support - SDW823 !

It looks like it is not out yet though - maybe soon:

Spectec microSD WiFi card: loose in May, lose in July

Spectec microSD WiFi Card - Spectec microSD WiFi Card

I kind of need the Micro SD card slot for memory, but I guess if I was desperate for connectivity I could swap it out temporarily.
    07-01-09 06:06 PM
    Wow - I never heard of this before, but I guess it does exist:

msmobiles.com - Spectec launches microSD Wi-Fi card with 802.11g support - SDW823 !

It looks like it is not out yet though - maybe soon:

Spectec microSD WiFi card: loose in May, lose in July

Spectec microSD WiFi Card - Spectec microSD WiFi Card

I kind of need the Micro SD card slot for memory, but I guess if I was desperate for connectivity I could swap it out temporarily.
    Those articles are almost 3 years old. I would think that someone would have gotten hold of one by now if they were really going to roll them out.
    07-01-09 06:10 PM
    It looks like this does NOT exist. Oh well.
    07-01-09 06:18 PM
    It exits. They don't say anything about blackberry though, whether it'll work or not. But bb isn't on the list of incompatible devices so i...

Spectec SDW-823 MicroSDIO WLAN card (802.11b/g), #SDW-823 - eXpansys Inc

07-01-09 06:22 PM
    It exits. They don't say anything about blackberry though, whether it'll work or not. But bb isn't on the list of incompatible devices so i...

Just going by the photo in that link, I'd say it wont work in a BB. Looks too big to fit into the card slot. Maybe if you had a phone with an external card slot.
    07-01-09 07:19 PM
    Even if there's hardware, there has to be software to recognize, configure, and use it. It would be like having a camera on your phone, but no way to actually use it.
    07-01-09 07:21 PM
    A friend got a HPAQ phone/PDA 3 years ago, and he used one of these. He was the first person I ever heard of using Skype on his cell. The card was a microSD so it will fit. Not sure if it will work in BBs though. The phone he had a MiniSD slot and a microSD slot, so he used one for memory and the micro for WiFi.
    07-01-09 07:24 PM
    07-01-09 07:39 PM
    Oh well, back to the drawing board.
    07-01-09 07:41 PM
    Damn. Oh well maybe if we keep our fingers crossed lol

07-01-09 08:23 PM
    Damn. Oh well maybe if we keep our fingers crossed lol

That article is from 2008 that was the same mistake I made.

Since you can but right here:

It exists already. Now to find out if it works on the BB Tour is the big question.
    07-01-09 08:49 PM
    It might only work with Windows Mobile:

See here:

�s�W����1
    07-01-09 08:51 PM
    These we all the talk a couple years ago with the Motorola Q crowd. Two issues results. One there was something in the wiring that made it incompatible and two their was no software. For this to work it is going to have to be a dedicated product and not something we can coble together.
    07-01-09 08:53 PM
    I just e-mailed the company and asked if they would consider making a Micro SD Wi-Fi card for the Tour. Maybe if a lot of us e-mail them they will listen. Here is their e-mail: [email protected] It is a Japanese company.
    07-01-09 08:59 PM
    The link I posted was a result from google shopping so its out there, just no good for BB

07-01-09 09:00 PM
    The company e-mailed me right back and said the following:

"So far our uSD WI FI card only work with Window mobile OS or LINUX. For the RIM still not work with it. Sorry about it"
    07-01-09 09:37 PM
    Now if they could make something like this in the like of the Eye-fi card in micro Sd.

Eye Fi Camera Wifi Card. Wireless Picture*transfers. - Geek Ramble - If it is Geek- Then it is Zen
    07-01-09 11:17 PM
    Ok, so, I spent some time trying to find ways to bridge bluetooth to wifi. Here are my thoughts/ what I found. I am new to this, so someone experienced can chip in.

I saw two products, but both are discontinued !
    1. Bluetooth access point: D-Link Bluetooth Access Point DBT-900AP - buy online from Blue Unplugged
    2. Bluetooth to WLAN bridge: Possio Bluetooth to WLAN Gateway PX20 - buy online from Blue Unplugged

So, I think the best option now would be to use bluetooth on your computer to share the wifi connection. Never tried it, but I think it should work.

Now, here is an interesting link. A few students have designed a "portable battery operated device that allows a bluetooth-enabled phone to connect to a WiFi network and browse the internet". They think it could be sold for $50-$100. They also have posted a youtube video.
    Internet over bluetooth for any mobile phone - WiFi-Forum - Wi-Fi Discussion Forum
    07-02-09 01:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD