Hey guys, did a search and didnt really find any threads I could post my exact question in as they were closed already

I have TMO and am deploying to the desert. I was wondering if I got a hotspot thingy to take with me would I be able to use my 9700 via wifi without paying 2.99 a minute. I have skype also but they have not perfected it for the BB yet. It is already expensive to get internet over there (almost 130/month) and am trying to save money while deployed. Or should I just stick to my packet 8 I usually take with me and go straight VOIP at the extra cost of the internet service.

I was thinking I could just go to the places they have wifi and call without the extra expense.

Thanks.
    04-04-10 12:19 AM
    I have been told that if on UMA you can call home and it only uses your minutes. There are several threads on this in CB, do a search, I am sure you will find some answers
    04-04-10 12:21 AM
    Yes, you can. The minutes will just come out of your bucket minutes that you have on your plan now. For example, if you have a 600 min/month plan, then you can use 600 UMA min at no extra cost (no roaming).

Just be sure to turn off the Mobile Network to make sure you won't accidentally switch over the network and incur roaming charges.
    04-04-10 01:09 AM
    IF your phone will get UMA while over there, it will work and it will be free calling. Keep in mind that the parameters/guidelines such as jitter and latency for UMA are somewhat strict, so you may find that the phone loses UMA a lot, even though it's still on WiFi. It's simply a matter of those packets having a long way to travel, but there are a whole lot of people that use T-Mobile UMA with a lot of success over there. Just make sure to turn your Mobile Network OFF in "Manage Connections" so there's no chance of it switching to the GSM network when you're not paying attention.

Hope that helps!
    04-04-10 01:15 AM
    I feel the need to clarify something - calls to the US will be free when on UMA. Calls to other countries will be charged at the International Long Distance (not international roaming) rate, as if you were calling them from the US. That may be oversimplified, but I wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding!
    04-04-10 04:50 AM
    Hey guys, did a search and didnt really find any threads I could post my exact question in as they were closed already

I have TMO and am deploying to the desert. I was wondering if I got a hotspot thingy to take with me would I be able to use my 9700 via wifi without paying 2.99 a minute. I have skype also but they have not perfected it for the BB yet. It is already expensive to get internet over there (almost 130/month) and am trying to save money while deployed. Or should I just stick to my packet 8 I usually take with me and go straight VOIP at the extra cost of the internet service.

I was thinking I could just go to the places they have wifi and call without the extra expense.

Thanks.
    I use my in Europe all the time using a tiny little router I hook up to the $15 per day internet connection my hotel rooms. It works amazingly well and since I'm on the tmo customer loyalty unlimited plan, I can talk as long as I want at no cost when overseas. I also used it in Asia and it worked great there too.

Good luck (with more than just your UMA)!
    04-04-10 05:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD