It looks like I don't have Wi-Fi calling on my passport with T-Mobile. Has anyone figured out how to get it working ?

It really sucks cause I just got my cell spot today too

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 05:27 PM
    The phone is capable, it's TMO who's not willing to allow it. And ultimately they are the ones who hold the reins of WFC.
    lift likes this.
    09-26-14 06:03 PM
    I don't understand why in US carriers hold that much authority over that much functions...

Powered by Blackberry
    09-26-14 09:44 PM
    This is only possible in phones t-mobile sells. It requires special frameworks for the os. So this will never work on the passport unless they decide to sell it.
    09-26-14 10:16 PM
    This is only possible in phones t-mobile sells. It requires special frameworks for the os. So this will never work on the passport unless they decide to sell it.
    Yes, this is correct. And it's AMAZING to me that some are already blaming Tmo that wifi calling doesn't work on Passport.

Why in the he77 would they invest resources to support a phone that BlackBerry won't even let them sell.

The responsibility and reason wifi calling doesn't work on Passport with Tmobile lies with one person only... Mr John Chen.

Posted via CB10
    m1a1mg likes this.
    09-26-14 10:43 PM
    I heard you only need to tmo sim card and it now works automatically. No need to tmo OS mods

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 11:21 PM
    Aww the TMO apologists are in. Think it'll break their hearts if they find out TMO used to randomly and summarily not bestow WiFi calling on branded phones, and--gasp--renege on their word about bring features? By branded of course I mean phones they did sell.

----

I heard you only need to tmo sim card and it now works automatically. No need to tmo OS mods
    That's for phones TMO is going to sell from the time they made the announcement. God forbid they embrace BYOD in a way that doesn't benefit them.
    gfondeur likes this.
    09-27-14 12:41 AM
    Aww the TMO apologists are in. Think it'll break their hearts if they find out TMO used to randomly and summarily not bestow WiFi calling on branded phones, and--gasp--renege on their word about bring features? By branded of course I mean phones they did sell.

----

That's for phones TMO is going to sell from the time they made the announcement. God forbid they embrace BYOD in a way that doesn't benefit them.
    There really is no other carry that embraces BYOD like T-Mobile does. I'm sure they could figure a way to get WiFi calling working on BYOD phones, and for that they should be shamed, however, they supported iphone users for YEARS prior to them carrying that device, by supported I mean would accept phone calls and issue actual tech support for the device. They do this for any phone. Currently the way their WiFi calling works it requires frameworks to be in place. I wish it worked with just regular SIP functions, but they have their reasons.
    09-28-14 03:48 PM
    There really is no other carry that embraces BYOD like T-Mobile does. I'm sure they could figure a way to get WiFi calling working on BYOD phones, and for that they should be shamed, however, they supported iphone users for YEARS prior to them carrying that device, by supported I mean would accept phone calls and issue actual tech support for the device. They do this for any phone. Currently the way their WiFi calling works it requires frameworks to be in place. I wish it worked with just regular SIP functions, but they have their reasons.
    They have a very interesting BYOD situation: to be fully compatible, a phone needs to have UMTS 1700 (let's not even get into LTE band 12.) This eliminates more than half the GSM phones in the world. Aside from the Z10 -3 and Q10 -5 and I **guess** the new iPhones, if you buy any non-branded phones you won't get WFC or voLTE. Third, by fully embracing EIP, they've dented the used phone and authorized service reseller markets--the former because smart buyers won't take the risk of buying a phone still being paid off, and the latter because the bonus these resellers used to get for signing people to contracts isn't there. Costco: EIP available but phones and plans are the same price as TMO, service/phones not sold at every warehouse; Walmart: full upfront payment and prepaid plans only; Best Buy: very limited phone selection, prepaid service only; Staples: gone. Amazon: gone, etc. Oh, and Isis/Softcard only works on branded phones.

So who's left to sell you fully compatible, branded phones? T-Mobile, of course.

I'm aware of them supporting iPhones since before they started carrying them, but that's the only phone they didn't carry that they've gone all out to support--and by all out, I mean posting support docs, training staff, even maybe accelerating/starting UMTS 1900 refarming in iPhone-dense areas first. But I don't buy that they do this for any phone. What more beyond this page are you saying they do? Take a look at this OPO support request thread. The official responses are both along the lines of 'should work, contact OEM for further assistance.'

From what I understand--and I could be wrong--access to voLTE doesn't have nearly the same security concerns that giving anyone WFC calling does, so why isn't it available to non-branded devices?

BTW, AT&T has in a sense embraced BYOD as well. On their newest plans, they give you a $15 discount on service if you BYOD or buy a phone at retail price.

And finally, the 'apologist' comment was not directed at you in any way; I hope you know this.
    09-28-14 07:05 PM
    Any way we can get the tmobile wifi calling app from the Z10 and try installing it on the passport?

Can someone tell me how to do that?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 09:02 AM
    They have a very interesting BYOD situation: to be fully compatible, a phone needs to have UMTS 1700 (let's not even get into LTE band 12.) This eliminates more than half the GSM phones in the world. Aside from the Z10 -3 and Q10 -5 and I **guess** the new iPhones, if you buy any non-branded phones you won't get WFC or voLTE. Third, by fully embracing EIP, they've dented the used phone and authorized service reseller markets--the former because smart buyers won't take the risk of buying a phone still being paid off, and the latter because the bonus these resellers used to get for signing people to contracts isn't there. Costco: EIP available but phones and plans are the same price as TMO, service/phones not sold at every warehouse; Walmart: full upfront payment and prepaid plans only; Best Buy: very limited phone selection, prepaid service only; Staples: gone. Amazon: gone, etc. Oh, and Isis/Softcard only works on branded phones.

So who's left to sell you fully compatible, branded phones? T-Mobile, of course.

I'm aware of them supporting iPhones since before they started carrying them, but that's the only phone they didn't carry that they've gone all out to support--and by all out, I mean posting support docs, training staff, even maybe accelerating/starting UMTS 1900 refarming in iPhone-dense areas first. But I don't buy that they do this for any phone. What more beyond this page are you saying they do? Take a look at this OPO support request thread. The official responses are both along the lines of 'should work, contact OEM for further assistance.'

From what I understand--and I could be wrong--access to voLTE doesn't have nearly the same security concerns that giving anyone WFC calling does, so why isn't it available to non-branded devices?

BTW, AT&T has in a sense embraced BYOD as well. On their newest plans, they give you a $15 discount on service if you BYOD or buy a phone at retail price.

And finally, the 'apologist' comment was not directed at you in any way; I hope you know this.
    I don't know enough about VOLTE other than it requires certain bands in certain areas. This is why I hope T-Mobile gets coy with BlackBerry again. Maybe someone knows about the internal specs required for volte and can give an explanation as to why it needs to sit in that band.
    09-29-14 01:45 PM
    Any way we can get the tmobile wifi calling app from the Z10 and try installing it on the passport?

Can someone tell me how to do that?

Posted via CB10
    Have you not read this thread? It's not ever going to work for you. You don't have the frameworks needed for it to work on your passport because it isn't a t-mobile phone. It's not just an app. You will never have wifi calling or HD calling (voLTE)
    09-29-14 01:46 PM
    I don't know enough about VOLTE other than it requires certain bands in certain areas. This is why I hope T-Mobile gets coy with BlackBerry again. Maybe someone knows about the internal specs required for volte and can give an explanation as to why it needs to sit in that band.
    Bands aside, both voLTE and WFC are IMS based in implementation. And from what I've gathered from posts in CB's TMO sub-forum, voLTE can be made available independent of WFC.
    09-29-14 04:01 PM
    Can anyone confirm whether Passports (or, if tested, other models) enabled for wi-fi calling on other networks (Orange, Rodgers) will work on the TMO network? Some cursory research suggests that the wi-fi calling itself is a standardized technology so I'm hopeful obtaining a fully functional TMO Passport ....
    10-24-14 04:21 PM
    Can anyone confirm whether Passports (or, if tested, other models) enabled for wi-fi calling on other networks (Orange, Rodgers) will work on the TMO network? Some cursory research suggests that the wi-fi calling itself is a standardized technology so I'm hopeful obtaining a fully functional TMO Passport ....
    The Passport has only one model out, the SQW100-1. So any carrier's Passport will work on the TMO network, since they all have TMO's UMTS 1700, 1900, LTE b2, b4 bands. WiFi calling, however will not work (as already established in this thread.)

Regarding other models--only the Z10 and Q10 can get WFC on TMO. As long as your Q10 is a SQN100-5, and your Z10 is a STL100-3 it will get WFC on TMO, no matter which carrier it's branded to, factory unlocked, etc. The Q5 and the Z30, just like the Passport, don't do WFC on TMO.
    10-24-14 04:45 PM
    See ,my other post http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssport-962805/
    There is a link to download the app. The app stated it is compatible with Passport. Wi-Fi Calling - BlackBerry World
    10-24-14 05:12 PM
    See ,my other post http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssport-962805/
    There is a link to download the app. The app stated it is compatible with Passport. Wi-Fi Calling - BlackBerry World
    That app is just a toggle. It's like a light switch, but without electricity (IMEI clearance on Passport and other phones it does not work on,) it's no good.
    10-24-14 05:15 PM
    Yeah all this is why I decided to keep my old Z10 to use whenever I know I will need to make some calls on wi-fi. Unfortunately that means my passport will have to go to the sidelines when I am not in a TMO area.
    11-13-14 07:25 PM
    Ok ok, got it with the required "special frameworks" for wi-fi calling; but will a Passport that DOES support wi-fi calling (say, one sold by one of the UK carriers that supports wi-fi calling) - could one of these devices work on the tmo system? Such a device would have the necessary "framework"; has anyone tried this?
    11-21-14 09:33 AM
    I'm specifically interested in wi-fi calling capabilities. It has been stated several times on this forum that wi-fi calling requires a special OS. Framework to work. Since wi-fi calling on the passport is supported by some carriers but is not supported by TMO because of the lack of this "special framework", it seems possible that Passports sold by carriers that officially support wi-fi calling on the passport (and which presumably do have the "special framework" ) might work as well on TMO for purposes of wi-fi calling. Can anyone respond to this specific scenario? (In summary: a wi-fi calling enabled passport from another carrier activated on tmo sim; will wi-fi calling work?)
    11-21-14 09:44 AM
    I believe the "framework" (as you call it) is needed from T-Mobile USA themselves, and these "frameworks" from other carriers cannot be utilized on their network.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    11-21-14 11:38 AM
    Ok ok, got it with the required "special frameworks" for wi-fi calling; but will a Passport that DOES support wi-fi calling (say, one sold by one of the UK carriers that supports wi-fi calling) - could one of these devices work on the tmo system? Such a device would have the necessary "framework"; has anyone tried this?
    No other carrier but TMO brought WiFi calling to BB10. Plus, as Brad explained, you'd need a TMO-approved phone for WiFi calling.
    11-21-14 02:11 PM
    It looks like I don't have Wi-Fi calling on my passport with T-Mobile. Has anyone figured out how to get it working ?

It really sucks cause I just got my cell spot today too

Posted via CB10
    This morning, I was able to make my first WiFi calling via my BlackBerry Passport on T-Mobile's network. It was accidental, and I did not do anything special to enable WiFi calling. Since then, as long as I am in WiFi coverage, all sent and received phone calls go through the WiFi network, and I need to figure out how to set the network priority so that Cellular Network, when present, has higher priority over WiFi. Does anyone know how to set the network priority on Passport? My older BlackBerry had that feature, but I do not find it on Passport.
    12-23-16 10:59 AM
    After installing 10.3.3.1435 on an unlocked Passport SE without my T-mobile SIM in it, I noticed a couple of things. During the install an on-screen message said something about radio certificate being repaired (didn't pay much attention to it - not an engineer.) While using WiFi in a signal-blocking brick building, a message appeared in the hub telling me to use WiFi to make a phone call. I've never seen this previously.
    01-06-17 12:09 PM