Hi,

My phone will enable WiFi calling when connected to certain access points but not when connected to others. All the access points I connect to support Wireless-N, I'm at full bars around them, and they all support 15 Mbps down / 2 up, but still no luck on one. Any ideas?
    05-03-12 04:53 PM
    The wifi calling is very poor and inconsistent even on the same AP. I suspect that the radios are not as good as say in the 9700. Also wifi calling is not as good as true UMA.
    05-03-12 11:49 PM
    Wifi calling is my biggest disappointment with my 9900.

The old, hardware, UMA was much better - orders of magnitude, even.

I have actually turned the feature off. Thankfully T-Mobile's indoor coverage has gotten better over the years.

If it can't hand-off between Wifi and cell networks, it's useless to me. And I can't stand the stupid alarm sound when my last three BlackBerry smartphones would have just handed off to the cell network.

Very disappointing. :-(
    05-04-12 01:46 AM
    I would be happy if it just worked well even without the handoff. My TMo signal is poor almost everywhere. I think it relates to a poorer radio in the 9900 as well as TMo's poor service.
    05-05-12 02:41 AM
    When I replaced my old Linksys router with a new Buffalo, my BB 9900 WIFI calling quit on me. After a lot of fiddling around I discovered that enabling IPSec does the trick so you might find that setting on your router and set it and see if that fixes your problem.

T-Mobile WIFI calling is not the same as UMA and it is a big disappointment. This is because you lose the call when your router drops the WIFI connection and pretty much all consumer grade WIFI routers will do that on you. I have my phone set to prefer the cell network connection. That's the reliable connection. Then, if it is unavailable, the phone uses WIFI as a last resort.

WIFI calling is only as reliable as your router.
    05-05-12 10:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD