Given the fact that RIM have such a robust network infrastructure, I can't imagine why they haven't implement native WIFI calling on all blackberry devices. At this point RIM needs to leverage all the strengths of its infrastructure to keep the consumers hooked on the platform.

What do you guys think?
    10-10-12 09:16 AM
    That would be great if they could, but it isn't up to RIM, that comes back to the cell service provider, and here in the USA, T-mobile is the only one that allows it to happen. So anyone on T-moblie can make wifi calls, but they have found that it can be exploited too. If you start a wifi call, and leave while still on the call, it automatically switches the call to the cell network, but it is still considered a wifi call. people have found this useful when traveling to other country's, that let's them make free call's, Att and Verizon can't allow such a thing to happen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    10-10-12 09:25 AM
    Up until OS6, almost all recent devices were natively capable of UMA calling (hardware enabled WiFi calling.) But either due to low carrier buy-in, or even carrier pressure against it, RIM seems to be moving away from UMA, and possibly from WiFi calling too.

RIM can't really do anything if the carriers aren't implementing WiFi calling. There are a handful carriers as is, and apparently they aren't too interested in this feature.
    10-10-12 09:26 AM
    If you start a wifi call, and leave while still on the call, it automatically switches the call to the cell network, but it is still considered a wifi call.
    No longer available on the 9900
    JR A likes this.
    10-10-12 12:47 PM
    No longer available on the 9900
    Really?
    10-10-12 05:43 PM
    Really?
    I think he was referring to the automatic hand-off, and he's right. Since the 9900 does not have a UMA chip, it can't do the hand-off mid-call. There may be a software implementation of WiFi calling (depending on what TMO's released), but software WiFi calling drops calls once you're out of WiFi range.
    JR A likes this.
    10-10-12 05:53 PM
    There have been hints of BBM Voice coming in BB10. I assume this means VoIP to BBM contacts.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    10-10-12 06:09 PM
    There have been hints of BBM Voice coming in BB10. I assume this means VoIP to BBM contacts.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    That's more along the lines of what I'm thinking except instead of just bb10, I'd love if they upgrade all BBM makes to include this feature. It's being stated several times that os7 will will be maintained in the market along with bb10 so the features that can run on that os should be implemented.
    10-10-12 10:58 PM
    Really?
    I think he was referring to the automatic hand-off, and he's right. Since the 9900 does not have a UMA chip, it can't do the hand-off mid-call. There may be a software implementation of WiFi calling (depending on what TMO's released), but software WiFi calling drops calls once you're out of WiFi range.
    Sorry I wasn't clearer. You can still do WiFi calling on the 9900 with OS7.1 but there is no UMA.
    10-11-12 05:47 AM
    Looks like I was on to something BBM Voice is now in betazone
    12-05-12 05:18 AM
    at BB 10 you can make a video chat at BBM over WIFI and conference meeting by video in it
    12-05-12 06:47 AM