Hey all,

I have a 9650 on the verizon network. What can I do to make calls only on the wifi? I work overseas and need to place phone calls utilizing wifi only. I kinda got screwed on this with Verizon. They told me that their skype app would work over the wifi.... This is not true it only works over their network and has been blocked from working over wifi. This doesn't help me in the Middle East. What can I do to make phone calls utilizing wifi??? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    07-24-10 08:51 PM
    i haven't tried it but vonage has an app for blackberries. it should work fine unless vzw is blocking this as well
    07-24-10 09:38 PM
    I thought that wi-fi calling was exclusive to T-Mobile and/or GSM phones. I may be wrong but I didn't think that it would work with CDMA devices, even world phones.
    07-24-10 09:46 PM
    Wi-Fi calling (UMA) Is only available on T-Mobile. I use it myself all the time.
    07-24-10 09:55 PM
    I assume using a local gsm sim card isnt an option?
    Last edited by drfundy; 07-24-10 at 10:48 PM. Reason: added word sim
    07-24-10 10:47 PM
    If you use other apps, such as vonage you can do it. Other gsm phones have the UMA option, and it just uses the phone over the wifi network with no additional anything... I think??? LOL yeah sorry that's all i got
    07-24-10 10:58 PM
    From my googleing it looked like vonage was available as an android app for everyone except Verizon.

Vonage releases Android app for AT&T and T-Mobile USA; Sprint/Verizon may follow | andrew | Androinica
    07-24-10 11:00 PM
    Skype for phone calls
    07-24-10 11:02 PM
    I hope Verizon is working on some way for us to be able to call via wifi.

I'm sure it's just a matter of tracking usage and charging for it (via it using minutes or as an extra monthly fee or something).
    07-24-10 11:08 PM
    Skype for phone calls
    So if you don't have wifi on and using Skype, does it count as data or minutes being used up?
    07-24-10 11:16 PM
    So if you don't have wifi on and using Skype, does it count as data or minutes being used up?
    Skype to Skype calls on Verizon don't use plan minutes, according to the information on the Skype website. Skype on your Mobile - Skype
    07-25-10 08:52 AM
    You can't use Skype on Verizon outside of the U.S. I tried to use it in Mexico and the application wouldn't load because I wasn't in the states.
    07-25-10 08:56 AM
    Why would Verizon block Skype on WIFI? That's the most ******** thing I've ever heard of, that can't be right.
    07-25-10 11:45 AM
    VZW rewrote SKYPE not to use WiFi.....
    07-25-10 02:37 PM
    Why would Verizon block Skype on WIFI? That's the most ******** thing I've ever heard of, that can't be right.
    Sadly, it's true. I was on the phone with CS/TS to activate the unlimited international data plan and the rep suggested to me - after I told her I was going to Mexico - that I should download Skype to save on calling. So I did and when I got to Mexico and received the error that the program doesn't work. Just to be clear, Skype will not load at all if you are outside of the U.S. I couldn't use the messaging features, skype to skype or skype to landline. Nada.
    07-25-10 02:55 PM
    Are we sure that it isn't just a service book thing, or is it really a Skype programming thing??
    07-25-10 03:50 PM
    It's a skype thing. Do a quick google search.
    07-26-10 09:32 PM
    Wi-Fi calling (UMA) Is only available on T-Mobile. I use it myself all the time.
    do you think if i activate a bold 9650 on tmo i can make calls over the wifi? uma is with the carrier and not the phone right?
    11-20-10 11:12 AM
    i haven't tried it but vonage has an app for blackberries. it should work fine unless vzw is blocking this as well
    I have actually been trying to use the Vonage app myself since I have had Vonage VoIP for years. However, they STILL have not updated they Blackberry app to work on the touchscreen blackberries. From what I understand that is the ONLY WiFi only calling app out there currently that does not use your phone minutes too when calling from outside the USA.

If anyone knows of one that does work on a Storm II that would be great.
    11-20-10 11:58 AM
    I'm sitting in PHL right now praying that there's a way to make wifi calls on the Storm 2! Anyone?

I really love my Storm, but I hate getting left out of apps!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-10 04:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD