with wifi calling can you do free international calling to other countrys with out use of minutes?
    09-04-09 09:42 PM
    Not via UMA, if that is what you are referring to. I'm not 100% sure but I think you can do so via Skype but I don't think the Skype App is available yet for the Blackberry.
    09-04-09 09:45 PM
    Not via UMA, if that is what you are referring to. I'm not 100% sure but I think you can do so via Skype but I don't think the Skype App is available yet for the Blackberry.
    no what im saying is when im in my house using my wifi network would i be able to call international through the wifi not t-mobile network??
    09-05-09 12:03 AM
    no what im saying is when im in my house using my wifi network would i be able to call international through the wifi not t-mobile network??
    No solution exists like this at the moment. The closest you can get is to use the instant messaging client, IM+. With IM+ you can login to your SKYPE account and send pre-recorded voice messages back and forth over WiFi internationally.

In terms of a full blown WiFi Skype Client, I wouldn't count on anything like this being available anytime soon. Without going into too much detail, it would be HIGHLY unprofitable for RIM and your wireless carier to enable free international calling over WiFi.
    09-05-09 09:35 AM
    Get a MY5 plan if you have something like that available and a calling card with a number local to your city. Put the calling card number in your MY5 and you won't be charged anything on the phone, just regular charges on the card.

Also try to find a card you can refill over the phone so you can just pre program the number into all your long distance contacts, then you don't have to change them all each time the card runs out and you buy a new one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 12:57 PM
    UMA is wifi calling. It wont work with you making a call to a foregin number, but if YOU are overseas, connect to an open wifi network and go into UMA (unlicenced mobile access or wifi calling) you can call #'s in your home country under your normal phone plan as the carrier can't tell where the call originated from but you have to be in UMA otherwise you will be charged international roaming.
    09-05-09 01:03 PM
    Although it's not a free option, I recommend getting google voice; calls to canada are free, some places in europe only 2 cents per minute, can't beat that. (if you use blackberry, it'll also count as local minutes used by your wireless provider, but if you have unlimited UMA then you don't even have to worry about that).
    09-05-09 01:52 PM
    Although it's not a free option, I recommend getting google voice; calls to canada are free, some places in europe only 2 cents per minute, can't beat that. (if you use blackberry, it'll also count as local minutes used by your wireless provider, but if you have unlimited UMA then you don't even have to worry about that).
    You can match it with a regular calling card though.
    09-05-09 02:19 PM
    no, calling other countries will incur an international rate charge.
    yes, your minutes will be used.

cheapest way is skype.

it's free...or if you and your contact have an on-board camera...tokbox is a cool way to go too.
    09-05-09 03:40 PM
    no, calling other countries will incur an international rate charge.
    yes, your minutes will be used.

cheapest way is skype.

it's free...or if you and your contact have an on-board camera...tokbox is a cool way to go too.
    Read my first post, no international cost or using your minutes if you can set up your phone plan like I did. I call international constantly and I am never charged for it on the phone.
    09-05-09 04:14 PM
    I'm gonna turn this into my new mission....how to get free intl via UMA....ill report back

09-05-09 10:14 PM
    I'm gonna turn this into my new mission....how to get free intl via UMA....ill report back

My trick also works with UMA.

09-06-09 09:39 AM

My trick also works with UMA.

thanks for your help
    11-10-09 08:17 PM
    Wow, old thread. Here's an update.

Make sure your carrier allows a calling card number on MY5. My carrier doesn't but I got around it by accident. If I had called a rep they would have never allowed it but I do online MY5 management and it let me add the number there.

I found that even mentioning adding a calling card to MY5 in the presence of Rogers reps caused them to get unhappy. It's against the TOS.
    11-10-09 09:55 PM
    I remember not more than 3 years ago using a sim free Nokia e65 to make calls all over the place for free. It was the wild west of wifi VoIP/SIP calling. LOL. Truphone, Gizmo, Voipbuster, Siphone... all free services.

Not sure what the heck happened but my guess is the carriers put the kibosh on it
    11-10-09 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD