Hello, newbie here,

I'm planning to buy Bold 9900 but there's one thing I need to ask. Does Bold 9900 allow you to browse the internet using hotspot/wifi connection if you're using limited data plan? (i.e. that doesn't include internet browsing). Or is hotspot browser blocked like in OS 6 devices? If it's the latter, how to solve the problem? I only use internet occassionally which is why I want to use my office wifi instead of unlimited data plan. Please answer...thanks very much!
    09-07-11 01:47 AM
    As far as I know,yes.
    09-07-11 01:53 AM
    Thanks...I was worried because someone at work uses Curve with OS 6 and she's using limited data plan and when I try opening her internet browser, it says something about requiring a data service to connect to wifi or something.
    09-07-11 02:03 AM
    Before you all get all excited, I have an issue with the 9900 (and a few of my friends as well)

The browser prefer's the Data Plan.

Let me make it a bit clearer:

Data plan ON - Browser Works on Data plan.
    Data plan ON, Wifi On - Browser Works on Wifi "EXCEPT" the default search engine In my case google.com. If I search from inbuilt search or go to google.com its slow on the Data Plan
    Data plan OFF, Wifi On - Browser Works on Wifi "EXCEPT" the default search engine again but this time, it will not have a Data Plan to run on, you get an error saying you have no connection. All other websites would work on Wifi fine.

I cant seem to find a solution to this.
    09-08-11 03:23 PM
    Before you all get all excited, I have an issue with the 9900 (and a few of my friends as well)

Data plan ON, Wifi On - Browser Works on Wifi "EXCEPT" the default search engine In my case google.com. If I search from inbuilt search or go to google.com its slow on the Data Plan
    Data plan OFF, Wifi On - Browser Works on Wifi "EXCEPT" the default search engine again but this time, it will not have a Data Plan to run on, you get an error saying you have no connection. All other websites would work on Wifi fine.

i do not experience this. When my data is off and I search for something (by going to google.com or by typing in the search directly into the address bar or the browser), the search goes thru over wifi.
    09-08-11 04:25 PM
    Yes, this is not the case for all devices as I understand, but atleast of all the devices around me in Dubai UAE.

Not sure what is the cause of this? something with the particular version of the OS maybe? maybe because they are locked to a network (not sure why it would want search engines to use the data network)? I would not know, but it is a matter I face and a few other friends with 9900 also face.

This is also the case with one of my friends with a 9780 too!

So I really am not certain why this occurs. Not a big issue or anything, but like makes no sense why it happens thats all
    09-09-11 11:54 AM
    Thats strange...

With me its:
    Data Plan On, Internet goes through data plan.
    Data Plan On with Wifi On, Internet favors wifi unless wifi disconnects, but will always chose wifi over Data/Wireless.
    Data Plan Off but Wifi On, Internet goes through wifi.

The only bug I've found is when I have Wifi and Data on but the wifi isnt connected to any signal and I try to open a Youtube video it wont play and tells me something like check my internet signal or connection or something. But if I turn wifi off it will play just fine. So for some reason Youtube videos will try to use wifi even if you dont have a wifi connection not realizing you have a cellular signal.
    09-09-11 12:41 PM
    how can u guys tell whether data is going through wifi or data plan?
    09-09-11 01:19 PM

it looks like this has been the issue since OS6...AFAIK, OS5 allows you to manually choose hotspot browser when you do not want/cannot connect through data plan, but in OS6 the browser automatically blocks you even when there's a wifi connection around. I wonder if there's any OS7 user who has managed to work a way around this...it seems that RIM and providers around the world tried to make sure you can only browse the internet through data plan. Grrrr
    09-25-11 09:29 PM
    Thats strange...

With me its:
    Data Plan On, Internet goes through data plan.
    Data Plan On with Wifi On, Internet favors wifi unless wifi disconnects, but will always chose wifi over Data/Wireless.
    Data Plan Off but Wifi On, Internet goes through wifi.

The only bug I've found is when I have Wifi and Data on but the wifi isnt connected to any signal and I try to open a Youtube video it wont play and tells me something like check my internet signal or connection or something. But if I turn wifi off it will play just fine. So for some reason Youtube videos will try to use wifi even if you dont have a wifi connection not realizing you have a cellular signal.
    perhaps you use unlimited data plan that includes wifi browsing when there's no network signal?
    09-25-11 09:33 PM
    how can u guys tell whether data is going through wifi or data plan?
    Just go to Service Status, you ll see where your BIS is connected to
    09-27-11 01:46 AM
    Just go to Service Status, you ll see where your BIS is connected to
    Where do you find it exactly?
    Universal search gave me no results, nor was I able to find it in the options...
    09-27-11 05:26 AM
    Where do you find it exactly?
    Universal search gave me no results, nor was I able to find it in the options...
    Click on your connections area (top of home screen). Then scroll down to Service Status
    .. Another way to tell if BIS is connected to WiFi .. If the BIS symbol is to the right of the WiFi symbol and not to the right of H+/4G symbol (top right of screen)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    PiotrJot likes this.
    09-27-11 06:42 AM
    Click on your connections area (top of home screen). Then scroll down to Service Status
    I just learned something new Thank you!!!

.. Another way to tell if BIS is connected to WiFi .. If the BIS symbol is to the right of the WiFi symbol and not to the right of H+/4G symbol (top right of screen)

This one I knew of course But while using my ol' good 9700 and some 3rd party themes, it was not always a rule Now I am all the wiser
    bermont likes this.
    09-27-11 07:04 AM
    I'm having no problems with wifi. Also it uses no data for those of us with a limit!

09-27-11 09:49 AM
    Yes, this is not the case for all devices as I understand, but atleast of all the devices around me in Dubai UAE.

Not sure what is the cause of this? something with the particular version of the OS maybe? maybe because they are locked to a network (not sure why it would want search engines to use the data network)? I would not know, but it is a matter I face and a few other friends with 9900 also face.

This is also the case with one of my friends with a 9780 too!

So I really am not certain why this occurs. Not a big issue or anything, but like makes no sense why it happens thats all
    yea just got bold 9900 from etisalat and have the same problem
    10-16-11 01:29 PM
    I have same problem wifi not work always goes to data plan. UAE almost everyone have same problem data plan is not work always and very slow.
    10-17-11 03:19 AM
    Anyone been able to figure this out yet? Got mine yesterday from AT&T and it will surf the web with both data and Wi-Fi connected- but if I turn off data (to use Wi-Fi only for browsing, not apps) it says it can't connect and to try again later. What gives?
    11-07-11 05:18 AM
    same here. Connected to wifi, but it's defaulting to my data plan. Had the same problem with my 9800. I'm hoping someone knows how to make wifi the default for browsing.
    11-07-11 09:55 AM
    Has anybody figured this out yet?

I'm using a Bold 9900 and am connected to both BIS and WIFI. It doesn't seem to use the wifi connection as default so up to now... i don't use the browser and other apps because it keeps on using the data plan by default.

Even the Blackberry Symbol that's supposed to appear next to the wifi signal when wifi is working is not there.

Please help... thanks!!
    12-22-11 08:56 PM
    I am having the same problem.
    Is there any solution to his?

thanks.
    02-04-12 09:07 PM
    I'm in Canada on Bell network and mine works fine even if I stay just on wifi. I can brows or bbm. I don't why you would have this problem...
    02-04-12 10:18 PM
    I am on Verizon with latest official OS and also have a problem maintaining a connection to BIS through wifi. It seems the wifi keeps losing its DNS settings and then switches back to 3G. This comes and goes with a strong wifi signal and with all networks (home, work, etc). However when this switch occurs I can't use the browser at all since it is trying to use wifi but has no DNS. This only started happening with the new OS.
    02-04-12 10:27 PM
    I'm in UAE and i have the same problem.
    02-08-12 04:03 PM
    I am on Verizon with latest official OS and also have a problem maintaining a connection to BIS through wifi. It seems the wifi keeps losing its DNS settings and then switches back to 3G. This comes and goes with a strong wifi signal and with all networks (home, work, etc). However when this switch occurs I can't use the browser at all since it is trying to use wifi but has no DNS. This only started happening with the new OS.
    In general with wifi if you can use static ip addresses for your IP, gateway, subnet and DNS you'll have better reliability.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-08-12 05:16 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD