Ok, I'm familiar about wifi and how it works, but what's so special about it if you have the unlimited data plan for example with sprint. Is there a boost in speed if you use wifi instead of your 3G data. I have an 8330 and wanted to upgrade but I don't wanna lose my flash and trackball.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-10 09:21 PM
    Ok, I'm familiar about wifi and how it works, but what's so special about it if you have the unlimited data plan for example with sprint. Is there a boost in speed if you use wifi instead of your 3G data. I have an 8330 and wanted to upgrade but I don't wanna lose my flash and trackball.

Wifi can be MUCH faster and is very good for streaming apps such as Pandora, or bitbop. Also many folks prefer the trackpad over the trackball. You might want to go in the store and try one, you might be sold on the technology (I was).
    08-17-10 09:29 PM

you can still have your flash with a Bold 9650 and wifi
    08-17-10 09:31 PM
    You'd have to leave your carrier for a Berry with WiFi and trackball.
    08-17-10 09:39 PM
    wifi also allows for simultaneous voice and data. if you are not on a wifi network, you cannot use any data (BBM, web, emails) while on a phone call.
    08-17-10 09:40 PM
    i don't have the best signal at home. WIFI is awesome.
    08-17-10 09:55 PM
    i don't have the best signal at home. WIFI is awesome.
    WiFi + UMA = a life saver
    08-17-10 09:58 PM
    Ater hacking my cable modem and setting up a hotspot at my house,Wifi is so much faster and reliable over 3G. 4G,i have friends come over at least 2 times a week to access my hotspot because they cannot get over how fast the speeds are.my curve and ipod touch run almost as good as my Desktop,and my desktop is ethernet connected.
    08-18-10 08:02 AM
    Another benefit is the cost savings with providers who are tiering, or rumored to be tiering their data plans in the future.

I'm on Verizon. no tiers yet. I use PodTrapper to DL and listen to a lot of podcasts. When I was on my Tour 9630, my monthly data usage was 2.5-3GB every month. With my Bold 9650, my monthly data usage is typically 200-300MB, sometimes approaching 500mb-1gb depending on how many podcasts are generated by my favorite providers.

This significant drop in data consumption can save me money if Verizon tiers their data plans. It might allow me to drop down to a mid-tier data plan and with those cost savings, upgrade my wife from a dumb phone to a Berry with a lower-tier data plan, all the while keeping my net cost the same.

Also, i feel like I am doing my part to help keep bandwidth usage down by using wi-fi whenever I can.
    08-18-10 10:46 AM
    I hated the track pad for about a week, now i don't even notice the difference
    08-18-10 08:54 PM
    The trackpad is a an improvement over the trackball. I routinely had to replace trackballs in my curve when they got dirty or started to give me problems - and I had to replace an 8900 because the trackball failed. The trackpad in my 9700 has never given me trouble.
    I think everyonee else has pointed out the benefits of WiFi, but with WiFi UMA like that offered by TMo, one always has service at home.

08-18-10 09:16 PM
    Wi-Fi is faster than 3G because of your internet service provider's download/upload speeds being better than that of 3G. Use the data plan whenever you aren't even near a hotspot or open router.

Also, Wi-Fi avoids roaming charges, since your blackberry uses the internet service provider of the country/state your in that is out of the coverage range of your carrier.
    08-19-10 04:59 AM
    I always use WiFi when ever it's possible as it's usually free, faster and more reliable than doing the same task over 3G.

08-19-10 05:02 AM
    This link should help you Maddy, it was written for an 8320.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/

Last edited by exelant; 08-19-10 at 06:44 AM.
    08-19-10 06:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD