Good day everyone,

Do programs like SmartWiFi only work off of cell tower location to decided when you are in your defined WiFi network areas?

The cell tower that is appropriate for my home is also the same one that is appropriate for work as I'm only 5 minutes between work and home. What I need it an app that will know when I'm within range of my home or work WiFi and turn it off when I'm not within that range, not within range of the cell tower or not.

Thanks for any info and help.

Mike
    05-12-10 12:01 PM
    I'm sorry for asking this, don't want to sound rude, but why do you need this? You want your wifi to shut off when you leave your house, but have it turn back 5 minutes later when you get to work? Seems kind of pointless to me, what good will that do?
    05-12-10 12:13 PM
    I'm sorry for asking this, don't want to sound rude, but why do you need this? You want your wifi to shut off when you leave your house, but have it turn back 5 minutes later when you get to work? Seems kind of pointless to me, what good will that do?
    Because believe it or not, I don't spend my entire life either at work or home.
    05-12-10 12:17 PM
    I believe that, but do you spend your entire life connected to that one tower that your wifi will never turn off with the app you mentioned? I just believe that an app like what you want will actually use more battery life than just leaving the wifi on.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 05-12-10 at 12:43 PM.
    05-12-10 12:40 PM
    SmartWifi does work off of cell tower info, so if you're home and work use the same cell tower and the program detects that while you are driving, then it likely won't shut it off. However, you can "delete" certain towers manually for better precision. I work downtown and there is always one tower that triggered my work location profile even when I was still a good ways away. Deleted that one tower and it's fairly accurate for me.

It works great for me. Some don't like that it doesn't turn off RIGHT OUTSIDE your house, but really, it would be impossible unless you had it use GPS all the time (which would probably defeat the battery saving purpose). As long as you're okay with that, it works well.

There's another app too, I think WiFi Hero, but not sure if it's compatible with CDMA devices.

The reason I use one of these apps is that I ride the train and use my S2 a lot for browsing during the commute. The battery life I save is worth it compared to the battery life when I leave wifi on, but am not connected and browse on the train.
    05-12-10 12:44 PM
    im lost too, smart wifi will work just like you would need it to. it will be on at home and on at work and then once you leave the range of that cell tower it would turn off.

if that is not what you are wanting im lost
    05-12-10 12:46 PM
    I believe that, but do you spend your entire life connected to that one tower that your wifi will never turn off with the app you mentioned? I just believe that an app like what you want will actually use more battery life than just leaving the wifi on.
    No I'm not within that cell tower all the time. I guess what I was looking for was an app that would scan for wifi networks that are already setup in the phone and when I'm within range of those networks then it would turn wifi on.

While range of a cell tower can be 10 to 15 km, wifi is no where near that, a block or two at best.

Thanks to everybody who took the time to respond.

Mike
    05-12-10 12:51 PM
    "No I'm not within that cell tower all the time. I guess what I was looking for was an app that would scan for wifi networks that are already setup in the phone and when I'm within range of those networks then it would turn wifi on. "

For it to scan for networks, wifi would have to be on already. You can't scan for networks with a magical bean then turn wifi on if said magical bean detects specific networks. For the app to be "scanning for networks" would defeat the purpose of having the app in the first place.
    05-12-10 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD