I have been reading in the threads about setting the connection type to wifi preferred or wifi only. I have gone to manage connections and I cant find these options anywhere. When I look at mobile network options, I only see data services - on and mobile network at&t. Can anyone advise?
    05-25-09 04:22 PM
    Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.
    05-25-09 04:40 PM
    Also have you gone through the wifi guide Denny? Also, open options, select wifi connections and set it to automatic - if it isn't already after you have run the wifi setup.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-09 04:41 PM
    Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.
    When I go to Network Options, I don't see Connection Preference as a option. Just Data Services and Mobile Network... Also when I go to manage network the wifi connection does not have a green check it has a white dash. Additionally on the home screen, I still show EDGE and under that wi is grey and fi is black.....
    05-25-09 04:47 PM
    Exelant, I have been there and done that. Still not getting wifi via router. See my last answer for more info.
    05-25-09 04:49 PM
    Even with my Wifi unchecked under Manage Connections I can still see "Mobile Network Options" and can click on it... it's one the menu selections that you can see and check the Wifi.
    05-25-09 05:01 PM
    Even with my Wifi unchecked under Manage Connections I can still see "Mobile Network Options" and can click on it... it's one the menu selections that you can see and check the Wifi.
    I see the Mobile Network Options but when I click that I only see Data Services On and Mobile Network ATT
    05-25-09 05:04 PM
    You said your Wifi is greyed out... have you scanned for a wireless network yet using the "Set Up Wi-Fi Network"???

And if you have... how long has it been since you did a battery pull??? Sometimes just a simple battery pull can fix so many things.
    05-25-09 05:09 PM
    Scanned when I set the phone up on Saturday and I did a battery pull about an hour ago. For some reason I cant get blackberry services over wifi?????? Been to the users manual posted on crackberry and it does not offer a solution.
    05-25-09 05:11 PM
    05-25-09 05:13 PM
    another with the same problem I've had, out of interest are you running O/S .199?

I'm about to update to see if the option to select preferred connection option is available again.
    05-25-09 05:25 PM
    Running OS4.6.1.231
    05-25-09 05:33 PM
    Mmmmm interesting.... This is really niggling me now, I'm wondering whether to upgrade or not......
    05-25-09 05:36 PM
    I really dont think it is an OS problem. I suspect it may be something to do with getting through my router. I have a VPN router provided my my company and I have all sorts of problems with other programs as well.

I would go ahead with the upgrade. You can always fall back if you need to.
    05-25-09 05:39 PM
    One more recommendation, pull the plug on your router for 20 seconds. I've had similiar issues and this did fix them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-09 06:34 PM
    Oh well after an attempted upgrade which crashed and resulted in a wipe and complete fresh installation to .206 this option is still not available...

Is there no one out there who can shed some light?

To re-cap there is no option to select a preference of connecting via WIFI within the manage connections sub menu...
    05-25-09 07:50 PM
    Oh well after an attempted upgrade which crashed and resulted in a wipe and complete fresh installation to .206 this option is still not available...

To re-cap there is no option to select a preference of connecting via WIFI within the manage connections sub menu...
    Im also having the same issue. Cant find how to set wifi preferred and cant get my wifi working and have OS 4.6.1.231

Is there a better OS out there?
    07-01-09 01:23 PM
    I am having the same problem on my ATT 8900... Does anyone know how to get the ATT 8900 to default to using wifi when browsing the internet? Mine will only surf via EDGE, unless I turn off the Mobile Network. TIA!
    08-04-09 04:10 PM
    Browser > BB Button > Options > Browser Configuration > Browser = Hotspot

and

Browser > BB Button > Options > General Properties > Browser = Hotspot
    08-04-09 04:34 PM

It's not an OS thing, your phone either has this option... or it doesn't

Mine doesn't. Never has, never will
    08-04-09 04:50 PM
    It's not an OS thing, your phone either has this option... or it doesn't

Mine doesn't. Never has, never will
    Phil,

I have spent some time researching this, and I can confirm that this is possible to put onto any 8900 handset that doesn't have it, UMA.

Have a read through this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/20...62/index2.html and it will explain how to add UMA to your handset.

:-D
    08-04-09 05:19 PM
    Phil,

I have spent some time researching this, and I can confirm that this is possible to put onto any 8900 handset that doesn't have it, UMA.

Have a read through this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/20...62/index2.html and it will explain how to add UMA to your handset.

:-D
    Interesting read, thanks for sharing. No use to me though, as Voda don't do EDGE

So in a nutshell - the preferred wifi option is not available on unlocked handsets, only on those handsets locked to carriers who offer UMA... or you can add it yourself using the 'fix'

Anyhow, it seems that the answer to your problem is actually within that link...

ftg888 said:-
    i managed to get everything working ok, if you wipe or upgrade your os you will loose all the settings requiring you to enable via the escreen and reentry of the settings again.

You did the fix and you had the option... then you updated your OS and you lost the option
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 08-04-09 at 06:11 PM.
    08-04-09 06:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD