So, I do NOT have a data plan. I can not have any data usage on my bill either. My dad will get mad. Lol. But anyways. I was wondering (whenever I get this phone,tomorrow) do I have to have a data plan to even have it? I heard it has Wifi, but how do I get it set up WITHOUT using ANY data at all? I have unlimited texting,but that is all.

Thank you. (:
    02-15-11 08:03 PM
    You will be able to use the phone and texting services.

Depending upon the carrier, you MIGHT be able to browse the internet on WiFi using a third party browser such as Opera Mini. But you might not.

You will NOT be able to use push email, BlackBerry Browser, BlackBerry App World, BlackBerry Messenger, any of the Google Apps, Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo Messenger, Windows Live Messenger.
    02-15-11 08:25 PM
    I really don't need to use many of those, just for facebook mobile.

Is there any way I can put the settings to TOTALLY make sure I will not use any data?

Thank you. (:
    02-15-11 09:23 PM
    Options > Mobile Network > Data > Off

And you won't be able to use the Facebook app.
    02-15-11 09:33 PM
    Thank you, so much! By the way,my carrier is AT&T.

Does the Opera,or whatever, come with the phone?
    02-15-11 09:54 PM

AT&T does IMEI sweeps. They require data plans for all smartphones added since September 2009. They will automatically add a data plan, whether one wants it or not. The only way to avoid the data plan is by not using a smartphone. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/index.jsp?q_termsKey=wirelessCustomerAgreement&q_t ermsName=Wireless+Customer+Agreement&subSection=wh atAreVoiceDataPlanReq&q_subTitle=What%20Are%20The% 20Voice%20And%20Data%20Plan%20Requirements%3F

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-11 10:00 PM
    Having a BB without data is like having corn flakes without the milk.

Never knew the 8320 had Wifi. Interesting....
    02-15-11 11:25 PM
    Uh, yeah. As indicated above, you need to stop now if you don't want to get in trouble with your dad. AT&T will automatically add a data plan to BlackBerry devices activated after Sept 2009.

No. You have to install it. But as noted above, you might not get that far.
    02-16-11 07:44 AM

Meant to say, 8310.
    02-16-11 08:52 PM

8320 does have Wi-fi.
    02-16-11 09:04 PM
    Meant to say, 8310.
    8310 does not have Wi-Fi. 8320 does.
    02-16-11 09:06 PM
    As stated before you will automatically have a data plan. Your dad will probably go with the 500mb plan vs unlimited because it's cheaper. (at least 500mb is AT&T's minimum plan which is what I have).

Once you have the phone, click your blackberry button. Go down to Manage Connections. Click it, and it will open a menu like "Mobile Network", "Wi-Fi", "Bluetooth". Check the box that says wifi. Then go further down that menu and click on Set Up Wi-Fi Network. Now click Scan for Networks. It will say searchring for available wi-fi networks, for just a few seconds. It now should display any networks just as a pc wireless card would. Click the network you are familiar with and if it's protected, that you have the password to. When it asks for a pre-shared key, put the password in and it will connect. You should then be prompted to click finish and asked if you want to save that network. Save it, so it automatically connects whenever your bb is in range. I have used zero of my dataplan except in emergency situations when i wasn't with my wireless network.

For me, I use card Verizon Mi-Fi 2200. You can connect up to 5 devices to this thing at a time. I must say it's actually pretty quick internet with all three of my laptops and my phone. It comes in handy for my work computer at the shop. I just pocket the Mi-Fi box (it's smaller than my bb by just a bit) and take it to use on my home computers. It uses my bb charger to charge or constant power the Mi-Fi card, so anywhere you have a charger, you have internet.

EDIT:
    Sorry just realized I posted this under 8320, when I have an 8520. I'll leave this post just in case the directions are the same. Sorry folks.
    Last edited by Austin655; 02-18-11 at 09:58 AM.
    02-18-11 09:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD