is there anything i need to know before i try to use my berry with wifi at home i wanna try it out before i take up to my mountain house and use it as a modem for my laptop..are there any passwords or codes i need etc.???
    04-30-10 08:52 AM
    is there anything i need to know before i try to use my berry with wifi at home i wanna try it out before i take up to my mountain house and use it as a modem for my laptop..are there any passwords or codes i need etc.???
    Just search for the signal as you would w/ a laptop, are you tethering your berry via cable or bluetooth to ur laptop?
    04-30-10 09:02 AM
    guess i will use cable to keep it powered up as well.
    04-30-10 01:00 PM
    I'm not understanding what your wanting to do? You want to test the wifi on your 8530 so you can use it at your other house? All you need to do for that is enter the network name and enter the password for the network, and the BB will be hooked up to wifi.

If you want to use it as a modem for your laptop then you don't need wifi. You just need a good signal on your BB. If you have wifi at your mountain house then why do you need to hook your phone up and use it as a modem?

Connecting to a wifi network is easy, but I'm not exactly sure what your trying to do...
    04-30-10 01:15 PM
    its not my wifi signal. its a shared signal at our owners club house. maybe i am wrong on how this actually works i thought i needed my berry as a modem of sort?? am i even in the right ball park here??
    04-30-10 02:02 PM
    Why not get a wireless adapter for your laptop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

04-30-10 02:10 PM
    If there's a wifi signal within range to your house, then there's no need to use your BB as a modem. If the owners club house is like, across the street, then your BB will not pick the signal up, or it will be very weak.

I think what you might be asking is if your BB can connect to your cellular network then act as a wireless router to then connect your computer to. Is that right? If so, that can't be done.

You can "Tether" your BB and computer together. This will use your cell signal to provide internet to your laptop, you can connect by usb cable or bluetooth. Wifi has nothing to do with this. This isn't a free service though, Verizon requires an monthly fee from you. But, you can purchase apps that will let you do this though without the monthly fee. They are all in the CB store. You need to be careful though, no downloading lots of music and movies because Verizon will catch you and charge you per MB used.

Just do some searching on tethering to get more info.
    04-30-10 02:13 PM
    Thanks that was all I needed to hear you guys are great always

04-30-10 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD