Sorry for the silly question but I'm coming from iPhone and Android. When WiFi is available on those phones it will switch to it and turn 3G off, when leaving wifi network reach it will switch to 3G, indicated by the wifi icon only or 3G icon only, on my new 9780 both icons stay on when I'm home on wifi, I thought 3G will turn off, is it different on BBs? 3G is always running regardless if I'm on wifi or not. On the other hand I understand that certain services are 3G only, why does it stay on all the time? Am I missing a setting somewhere?
    The phone is running just fine and I'm glad I made the switch back to BBs and won't even consider them again, just curiosity as I'm worry of the battery draining quicker than it should, am I worrying about nothing?
    12-30-10 10:48 PM
    You have to manually switch between connections.
    You can use third party apps for managing auto connections.
    Check out app world.
    Radio connection is essential part of BB, it wont disconnect until battery is low 10%-5%
    12-30-10 11:04 PM
    Thanks infinus for your answer. I don't need to switch between them, it just I was used to my previous phones. The only I would need to switch on or off is WiFi when leaving the house, thanks again.
    12-30-10 11:41 PM
    My 9780 will auto matically switch from 3G to WiFi when I'm in range of a network I have access to. - just leave the WiFi option turned on so when I'm home I'm on WiFI and when I'm out, I'm on 3G. I don't have to do any manual switching from conection to conection. Didn't have to on any of my old BB's either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-10 11:54 PM
    My 9780 will auto matically switch from 3G to WiFi when I'm in range of a network I have access to. - just leave the WiFi option turned on so when I'm home I'm on WiFI and when I'm out, I'm on 3G. I don't have to do any manual switching from conection to conection. Didn't have to on any of my old BB's either.

Hmm.
    But think about the battery usage, it will try to find network of your access regularly or at certain intervals.
    12-31-10 01:14 AM
    I get better battery life when I'm at home connected to WiFi. When I go to work, and I have no 3G coverage, I have to set it to 2G only to preserve my battery. I charged my phone yesterday, and I'm still at 50% battery now. Granted I haven't used it too much over the last two days, but never the less, battery is amazing when I'm set on UMA.

12-31-10 02:04 AM

how do you know if you are using wifi or 3g
    01-24-11 10:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD