I got the BB 8900 because of the wifi feature. I thought instead of racking up ATT data charges I could just use the wifi feature at home and hotspots for free. Boy do I feel stupid. Apparently I need to have a data plan?

so....is it just better to get a 3g phone?
    07-21-09 01:31 PM
    From what I understand, you need the Data plan with a AT&T BB purchase in order to receive the rebate. I've gone to the AT&T forum here, and many have said that you can use the phone perfectly fine without the data plan.

I plan on canceling the data plan after I receive the rebate. My campus has Wifi everywhere, so I don't see the need for me to dish out an extra $30 a month for a EDGE speeds.
    07-21-09 01:38 PM
    From what I understand, you need the Data plan with a AT&T BB purchase in order to receive the rebate. I've gone to the AT&T forum here, and many have said that you can use the phone perfectly fine without the data plan.

I plan on canceling the data plan after I receive the rebate. My campus has Wifi everywhere, so I don't see the need for me to dish out an extra $30 a month for a EDGE speeds.
    thats the thing. I got the phone for cheap without the data plan (no rebate). but in order for me to use the wifi option, I need to shell out $30 a month for the data plan. In otherwords, wifi is free......if you pay $30 a month. So why would you? Why not just get a 3g phone since you are going to have to get the data plan anyways in order to connect to the web.
    07-21-09 01:46 PM
    I got the BB 8900 because of the wifi feature. I thought instead of racking up ATT data charges I could just use the wifi feature at home and hotspots for free. Boy do I feel stupid. Apparently I need to have a data plan?

so....is it just better to get a 3g phone?
    ++++++++

I bought the BB BOLD 9000 for the same reason you did... for the ability to use Wifi without purchasing a data plan.

I cannot seem to get the Wifi to work on my home network, nor at my University or at work. My Bold recognizes the connection I need, however, it will not obtain the IP address.

Wifi is an independent connection from my mobile 3G network connection. If Wifi does not rely on mobile towers to work... then why would we need to have a data plan to connect to a free Wifi hotspot??

Can someone please help us connect our Wifi supported Blackberry's?
    07-22-09 01:47 PM
    With AT&T, you need a data plan to use WiFi. They are jerks like that and restrict the feature otherwise.
    07-22-09 01:49 PM
    With AT&T, you need a data plan to use WiFi. They are jerks like that and restrict the feature otherwise.
    Much thanks for your prompt reply Aristile. Seeing that you are a Crackberry Genius and that you also own a BB Bold, I will have to take your word.

Two last thoughts though...
    1.Do you know if there is a way to turn off the restriction via a hack or crack?
    2.What if the Bold is 'unlocked', would that free up the connectivity functions of WiFi, freeing it from the restrictions of the At&t stronghold?
    Last edited by Jim355; 07-22-09 at 01:59 PM.
    07-22-09 01:57 PM
    I used to own a bold (for about a month before I got my 8900) but now any longer. I can answer your questions though:

1 - It is possible to "de-brand" the Bold but the tools needed to do so are dangerous and you can easily render your device completely useless and unrecoverable. There are threads/tutorials on this already so just search for "de-brand bold" or something like that. I highly suggest you do a lot of research on this before you proceed.

2 - Unlocking just allows you to use the device on another carrier's network. Unfortunately the restriction from AT&T is deeper than that.
    07-22-09 02:04 PM
    Much thanks again Aristile!

I appreciate the thoroughness in your response and for protecting my interests. I will take your advice and refrain from "de-branding" at this time. Perhaps when my Bold is older, maybe then I will experiment. In the mean time I will just buy that bloody Data Plan.
    07-22-09 02:13 PM
    No problem and you are welcome. I would highly suggest not getting into that stuff until you are an advanced user.
    07-22-09 02:15 PM
    That is crazy. That should be illegal. Damn crooks. Another reason to switch to Tmo.
    07-22-09 02:42 PM
    T-Mobile you need a data plan to use WIFI as well!

--HeavyC.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 03:32 PM
    T-Mobile you need a data plan to use WIFI as well
    Are you sure? If so, my apologies for the misinformation. I was under the impression Wi-Fi was enabled at all times (as long as it is turned on in the connections menu).
    07-22-09 03:34 PM
    T-Mobile you need a data plan to use WIFI as well!

--HeavyC.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No you do not. This information is false.
    07-22-09 04:22 PM
    I have read otherwise on the AT&T forum. I'll be getting a 8900 either way, so I'll let you know when I eventually get it.
    07-22-09 04:51 PM
    I have read otherwise on the AT&T forum. I'll be getting a 8900 either way, so I'll let you know when I eventually get it.
    I do not have service with AT&T (yet) so I can not say 100% for sure that is the case. However I can say that I have seen many many members here on Crackberry report that they can not use the WiFi on an AT&T Bold or 8900 if they do not have a data plan. I know for sure you can with a Rogers or T-mobile branded 8900 and I am at least 95% sure that you can not with the AT&T branded 8900s.
    07-22-09 05:06 PM
    There's a topic called "8900 and wifi" on the AT&T forum, and people have posted different answers. Some say yes, some say no.

I don't know what to think anymore

Here's the actual link to the topic. I keep getting an error when I click it though.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/890...5/#post2971380

Edit:

John Connor posted this:

Got the solution..!! Here is how I got my 8900 to work with wi-fi without Data Plan with AT&T

1) Download Opera Mini and install it on your blackberry. (I downloaded it from my computer and transferred it to BB. After installing Opera Mini, it has to connect to Opera website once to "I accept/I decline" agreement, so your phone will be charged for ~10KB of data in your Pay as you go data plan)
    2) Call ATT and ask them to Block all your Data. This way you wont accidentally connect to ATT EDGE network
    3) Go to Settings>Mobile Network>Data Services=ON (confirm this)
    4) Now Opera should work fine. Note that Blackberry browser wont work as it will still try to connect through EDGE network.

PS: There are some places where you have to choose your default browser as HotSpot Browser instead of MediaNet.

3 days of tweaking and it finally worked..!! Still No BES, No IM, No application....just Opera works..will update more on this...
    Last edited by hazard99; 07-22-09 at 06:26 PM.
    07-22-09 06:18 PM
    Yea, sorry I forgot to mention that you can use a 3rd party app to get it working. Good call on that.
    07-22-09 06:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD