My wife's got a curve 3g for about 1 1/2 years and a couple days ago it shutoff around 5pm after being plugged all night the night before. She normally gets a couple days between charges. So she plugged it in and it started up, no biggie right ? wrong! Yesterday we drove all day to a dance competition about 6 hours from our home city. My wife teaches little kids dance for a living, and she gets alot of txts and bbms(not as much as she used to). So on the drive here her phone died after being off charger for only a couple hours. We plug it in, start it up and the battery is at 85 %. Wtf?

So her phone is dying randomly when it has lots of charge left in it. Won't start back up unless it's plugged in. Battery pulls will not get it to startup. It only starts if it is plugged in. So my backup phone is home of course and she's unable to communicate with the roughly 150 kids that are here with her for the next 5 days.

She's got 17 months left on her contract, is out of warranty and is pretty much out of luck. There's an 8 month old bold 9780 on Kijiji for $150 and a 1 week old 9900 for $360.

What is her best option? Also, she was previously thinking of going iphone so maybe now would be the time, buy an iphone 4?
    This is why I hate 3 year contracts. The carriers should warranty the phone for 3 years if we have to sign a 3 year.
    Anyway, I'm pretty sure my wife is not very happy with rim right now. The phone has been in a case since day one, has no water damage, and no damage and all of a sudden its fubared. Local stores want $60 plus tax for a battery that may or may not fix. The local Telus store didn't think the battery was the culprit but said it is possi.
    Last edited by JWWDUKE; 04-19-12 at 10:12 AM.
    04-19-12 10:07 AM
    Sounds like a battery problem to me. When that happened to me Sprint gave me a new battery and a new charger, and I haven't had any more problems. My phone, charger and battery was about the same age as your wife's when it started giving false battery information.
    04-19-12 10:14 AM
    Try calling Telus and cancelling your account. They may then be a little more flexible about fixing or replacing the phone. Rogers for example will repair a phone once out of warranty as long as it is repairable. I think there is a $35 fee associated with it.

You could also explain that your early cancellation fee would be no deterrent to cancelling the contract and getting a 9900 for $15 on contract elsewhere. I was in Costco earlier this week and one of the carriers has the 9810 and other phones at $15.
    04-19-12 10:36 AM
    I would try a new battery.
    04-19-12 11:00 AM
    And for the future, try to avoid plugging your phone in the charger when the batt is at 100%. You will kill the battery with that.

Or at least.. That is what I believe to be true. Good luck with making a decision anyway!
    04-19-12 11:34 AM
    I would definitely try a new battery 1st.
    04-19-12 11:37 AM
    And for the future, try to avoid plugging your phone in the charger when the batt is at 100%. You will kill the battery with that. snip
    Not true for Lithium-polymer and Lithium-ion batteries. They aren't subject to the memory effect believed to be seen in NiMH and NiCad batteries.
    Laura Knotek and Spencerdl like this.
    04-19-12 12:16 PM
    When I used a 9000, the battery exhibited similar symptoms when it was around 1 1/2 years old. It charged but would not hold a charge. It felt excessively warm and drained quickly (in around 3 hrs).

I purchased a new battery, and I had no further issues.
    04-19-12 12:23 PM
    What city are you in? I noticed a dealer in Dartmouth has Curve batteries for $10 on kijiji.

Blackberry Rechargeable C-S2 Battery - Halifax Phones, PDAs, iPods For Sale - Kijiji Halifax Canada.
    04-19-12 12:27 PM
    And for the future, try to avoid plugging your phone in the charger when the batt is at 100%. You will kill the battery with that.

Or at least.. That is what I believe to be true. Good luck with making a decision anyway!

this was the case with old batteries. doesnt happen with currently available.

also the phone stops charging when the battery hits 100%.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-19-12 12:33 PM
    Get a new charger and new battery
    04-19-12 12:35 PM
    I agree with everyone get a new battery or I recommend a 9900 series.
    04-19-12 12:39 PM
    Battery is my vote. She can pop in to a store and pick one up and be back in business. - can't do that on an iphone plus the battery stinks to begin with.

Aanyway not to turn this in to anotherr thread of bb vs whatever.

My second choice would be the 9900 its a great phone!
    04-19-12 12:49 PM
    What city are you in? I noticed a dealer in Dartmouth has Curve batteries for $10 on kijiji.

Blackberry Rechargeable C-S2 Battery - Halifax Phones, PDAs, iPods For Sale - Kijiji Halifax Canada.
    Dammit robsteve, I just got back from buying one for 60 At the source. I'm in dartmouth for a few more days and then back home to saint John. I wish you had posted an hour before you did, or that I had checked Kijiji for a battery. I didn't look because I wasn't looking to buy a used battery. Damn.

Thanks to everyone else who posted. I bought a new battery and noticed right away that the new one is slim and square and the old one is bulges and more rounded. So hopefully that was all that was wrong.

I'll update this thread if there are any further issues. I told her to buy a 9900 off Kijiji. I think she will be going to the Apple when her contract is up.
    04-19-12 01:33 PM
    Bulging battery means it's on its way out. Recycle it. It could explode.
    04-19-12 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD