Hello:

I have upgrade from an old blackberry that did not have wifi and have a question regarding Wi-fi usage on a network that is technically "unsecure" but requires a user-id/pw web based login. The example is my local university. I spent a fair amount of time there, but am no longer a student. The network is considered "open/insecure" so my blackberry will automatically connect to it, but still cannot transit/receive data until you open up a browser and login.

When I finally make my way there next time, what will my phone do? Will it connect to the network but not have any data transmission and therefore make me manually pause that wi-fi profile before I receive any data?

What happens in similar situations at hotels or big public places where it's secured via web login but the network itself is "open"? Am I going to have to ask everywhere I go to make sure I don't miss emails?

What am I missing?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    11-09-10 06:36 PM
    Yes, if you need to enter a password then you will need to ask for the password.
    11-09-10 06:50 PM
    But my question is this though - until I enter the password through the browser will it withold all data including emails?

IE some hotels your login will auto-expire 24 hours after activating it. So I check-in at 1pm, use the web-based login after connecting to their open network - at 1pm the next day will my phone not receive any data until I remember to login via the web form again?
    11-09-10 07:03 PM
    It is upto how the hotspot is set up. These are things you will have to speak to the admin about.

At my college once I connect to WiFi I'm good to go because cookies keeps my log in going.

It is something you will have to check in person. you can always hit up the Manage Connections screen and Service Status next time you auto connect to the network to see if BIS is on the WiFi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-10 07:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD