Hi there, good afternoon.

I have a company's BB 8520, from Orange, which I've just wiped out clean (hard reset) and then upgraded to latest OS.
    Right now there is no SIM card in it, no services installed, no service books, nothing, I haven't syncd it to BES yet (I have access/control over my company's BES).
    The Firewall in the BB is Disabled, the TCP/IP properties are all blank (APN and so), the Browser is set to use Hot Spot Browser, and the Data Service is on even though the Mobile Connections are off, the only connection on at the moment is WiFi, connected to my work's WiFi.
    The problem, when I use the browser to go anywhere, like google, I get the error message:

"Unable to connect to the internet, please try again later.
    If the problem persists please contact your service provider."

When I go to WiFi Diagnostics I get all the info saying that I'm connected to my works Wi-Fi, Network acquired, I get a proper IP within the right range, and at the bottom says Status: Wi-Fi connection succesful.
    I don't understand why is not going out to the internet, although we use a proxy in our company and I cant find the option to configure this on the BB...

Any help much appreciated, thanks
    Last edited by JLCSan; 04-27-10 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Title change.
    04-27-10 10:04 AM
    First off - get your wifi back to its protected status before your neighbor decides to hijack your network key or something good like that.

Second Put the damn sim into your phone.

Third - kill/delete all wifi profiles - start a new one and if your wifi security status is set to WPA2 or WPA - it is usually passkey enabled - that is your network key. entered in there and wait for a couple of minutes. Go to the diagnostics and see if it has acquired the network than. If it has just run your browser in hotspot from the options and you should be good.

Leaving your wifi unprotected could be a big problem - also what type router do you have coz there seems to be a problem with some of the Belkins
    04-28-10 08:57 PM
    Hi there, good afternoon.

First of all, thanks for the answer
    It's not my WiFi, it's my work's WiFi and it's protected with WPA2, I'm not sure where you get the impression it wasn't...
    I don't see the reason why to put a SIM card in the BB, since I only want to use the WiFi, that sounds a bit odd.
    The WiFi profile was freshly created, but I've also tried to delete it and recreate it again with no luck, same problem than before.
    My work's routers are fine, many other 8520 and 8320 BBs are around the office working over WiFi with no problems, although these ones have the Orange config on them with all the book services and such...
    Is it really locked to even use WiFi if it doesn't have a SIM in it or any data services/service books???
    Last edited by JLCSan; 04-29-10 at 06:44 AM.
    04-29-10 06:42 AM
    what does your phone say in the diagnostics menu? When you go to the profile and you click wifi diagnostics - what is the status of the wifi?
    04-29-10 11:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD