I'm curious how many people would actually use Wi-fi on a 'Berry - I mean you usually have unlimited data plans on them already, and if you're a CDMA carrier in the 'States - your coverage should be decent, right?
    06-28-09 10:42 AM
    Well, there are still places without good coverage.

And many people on GSM carriers (and some people on CDMA carriers) don't have unlimited data plans.

And in some places WiFi would be faster than the network to which people have access particularly most GSM networks.

But currently for CDMA, it's not a choice anyway on BlackBerry.
    06-28-09 10:50 AM
    My National carrier, Rogers, claims to service 93% of Canada's population. Their coverage map claims to include my residence, but, the signal strength is minimal. I can watch it range from -95 to -105 dBm (1 bar or 0), where it drops out, leaving me without a signal for several minunits.

That is why UMA, supported by Wifi is built into some models. When I am in range, nearly always, I have a reliable signal. Calls get through, emails get answered.

There are other benefits to Wifi, our connection speed is comparable to high speed home networks, maxing out at 54 MBPS. That really improves the Browsing response.

Why don't the CDMA carriers support UMA? Unlicensed Mobile Access is a threat to their investment in infrastructure and their revenue models.

06-28-09 11:20 AM
    Any time I am at home I use the wifi on my 8900. I love the feature. I no longer worry about going over my data cap.
    06-28-09 12:21 PM
    I keep it connected at work because battery life is preserved.
    06-28-09 12:30 PM
    My coverage is almost God awful... I seriously get more coverage inside a school than I do when I'm outside in an open area. With wifi all around me, I can get good reception on my iPod but the Storm reception isn't what I had hoped.
    06-28-09 12:37 PM
    if its there i use it
    06-28-09 12:38 PM
    My office is the bermuda triangle of technology. This includes my signal going from full bars and 3G to nothing in a flash. If I want to take advantage of my Bold while I am there, its WIFI or very patchy service.

Currently sat in Starbucks reading CB and streaming Pandora taking advantage of the ATT WIFI provided here to make my browsing experience a little more snappy while enjoying Pandora.

Had a Pearl 8100 previously and got by, wouldn't go back now I have been spoiled with 3G and WIFI

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-09 12:38 PM
    can I use only the Wi Fi without the data and is it FREE
    06-28-09 01:51 PM
    can I use only the Wi Fi without the data and is it FREE
    Yes, but only with the Hotspot Browser and a very limited selection of third party applications.
    06-28-09 03:07 PM
    Even though 500MB is a lot, I am connected on wi-fi at home so I never have to worry about going over my data limit.
    06-28-09 03:39 PM
    Even though 500MB is a lot, I am connected on wi-fi at home so I never have to worry about going over my data limit.
    Same here! I browse a lot also. Most of the times I forget to turn on Wi-Fi ha. I have awesome 3G network here though so it doesn't really matter

06-28-09 03:58 PM
    Same here! I browse a lot also. Most of the times I forget to turn on Wi-Fi ha. I have awesome 3G network here though so it doesn't really matter

Often Wi-Fi gives me a much quicker connection that the mobile network and especially at home where my signal drops to GPRS only.

I have unlimited data but I'll always use Wi-Fi where available just for the speed advantage.
    06-28-09 04:33 PM
    We are hearing wifi BB CDMA models are coming, but we shall see.
    06-28-09 06:52 PM
    06-28-09 07:19 PM
    My current phone has but I almost never use it. Pretty much the only time I do is just to mess with it. My EVDO coverage is very good and usually the only time I don't get a good signal wifi isn't available. That said I would prefer it but can live without it.
    06-28-09 08:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD