I am trying to decide between getting a Blackberry Curve or Tour (on Sprint). The Tour has no Wi-Fi, but the Curve does, I see others making a big deal over this, can someone please explain what it does and why it matters? I thought all Sprint phones internet worked on their 3G network anyway??
    How should or could Wi-Fi (having it or not) affect my decision?
    That is the only BIG dif I see between them, other than camera and display, but if you know something more, please feel free to let me know that too!
    Thanks!
    02-25-10 09:06 PM
    Wifi will be a LOT faster than 3G (presuming your internet is faster lol), with wifi you can keep your mobile browsing down (data use on wifi is essentially free) - so if you're a media user (slacker radio, etc) this is a big plus.

That's my little insight on the benefits of having 3G
    02-25-10 09:10 PM
    Reed (the mod) should drop by and tell you the sheer awesomeness of WiFi+UMA very soon, but till he does...

In a nutshell WiFi allows you faster data speeds (usually a bit faster than 3G) than the data plan usually gives you. When data limites are on (plans with monthly limits or fair use data fees), having WiFi is an advantage, since you don't need to worry about going over your data threshold.

If for example, you have WiFi at home and at work, you could have better speeds than usually all the time.
    02-25-10 09:12 PM
    WiFi is faster than 3G for data period. Also, despite it's faults, the Tour is still a heck of a lot better phone than the Curve line.
    02-25-10 09:14 PM
    WiFi is faster than 3G for data period. Also, despite it's faults, the Tour is still a heck of a lot better phone than the Curve line.
    As I said earlier on a 9700x8520 thread "depends on what you wanna do".

If you don't want to take pictures and don't mind a lower res screen but considers WiFi to be a must, the 8530 is the phone for your. Business for exemple, it will perform great.

Now if you do want to watch videos... I was going to say get the Tour but realy, just get an iPhone...

If the keypad format and high screen res is as important as WiFi, wait for the 9650 (or 97something) Tour2/Bold/something device to come.
    02-25-10 09:26 PM
    As long as you have service theres really no need for wifi. The only time I use it is when I'm home because my house is dead spot.
    02-25-10 09:28 PM
    Reed (the mod) should drop by and tell you the sheer awesomeness of WiFi+UMA very soon, but till he does...

In a nutshell WiFi allows you faster data speeds (usually a bit faster than 3G) than the data plan usually gives you. When data limites are on (plans with monthly limits or fair use data fees), having WiFi is an advantage, since you don't need to worry about going over your data threshold.

If for example, you have WiFi at home and at work, you could have better speeds than usually all the time.
    WiFi +UMA is awesome. I've rarely had dropped calls with UMA where I had a decent strength signal. I've yet to make a phone call when I've been in a 3G area, so I can't give any first hand info on whether UMA is as good or better than 3G. Don't get me wrong, 3G is great to have if you can't access WiFi/UMA, but give me a choice, and I'll choose WiFi/UMA every time.
    02-25-10 09:33 PM
    As long as you have service theres really no need for wifi. The only time I use it is when I'm home because my house is dead spot.
    WRONG! I have lost count of the times WiFi has got me out of trouble in hotels, or avoided international roaming charges. If I can hit the hotel wifi I can get my messages even when there's no BlackBerry service on cellular.

Don't believe network coverage maps when travelling, even on your home network. The construction of many new hotels and offices blocks cellular signals either accidentally or by design to push users onto high cost resold landline services.
    02-25-10 09:34 PM
    WiFi is a must-have for me. If I can hook up to it I will any day over 3G and I have 3G pretty much everywhere in Central Florida. The speed difference is like the difference between 3G and EDGE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-10 09:53 PM
    I have a 9700 with at&t and I love UMTS, being able to do voice and data at the same time is a big plus.

A CDMA phone does not have this ability, you can kind of create this ability when wifi is on and you have wifi coverage.

Being able to be on a phone call and still receive BBM messages/email is actually really nice.
    02-25-10 09:57 PM
    02-25-10 09:59 PM
    What exactly was this about?

EDIT: Can a mod put an end to this "This might help" SPAM spree? It's showing on almost all recently commented posts...
    Last edited by diegonei; 02-25-10 at 10:38 PM.
    02-25-10 10:19 PM
    since the curve has wifi. i would go with it. i agree, wifi is a must when traveling.
    02-25-10 10:26 PM
    To the OP, if you can hold out wait for the next bold/tour2/essex whatever they name it. Wifi is more than an option over 3G. Downloads are faster and as others have said you can have good coverage in areas when traveling, bad coverage, etc. The bigger thing is the next Tour will be a better overall phone than the curve
    02-25-10 10:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD