As the title states, has anyone been able to use the AT&T BlackBerry Bold�s wi-fi capabilities despite not having a data plan?

For a few days, I had a BlackBerry Curve 8900. However, it had a sticky key, so I mailed it back to Letstalk.com for an exchange. Unfortunately, the 8900 is currently on backorder, so now I�m thinking about switching to the Bold.

The 8900 that I had worked fine on wi-fi even though I did not have the data plan; I want to make sure the Bold will be able to do the same thing.

Thanks!
    08-18-09 04:33 PM
    It works nice for many ppl without data plan.. eventhoug i feel that a BB without data plan is an incomplete BB
    08-18-09 04:38 PM
    The device will function the same as the 8900 without a data plan. You dont even need a SIM for WiFi to work.
    08-18-09 04:46 PM
    I have my bold on my wifi at home and I dont have the data plan
    08-18-09 04:48 PM
    Thanks guys!!
    08-18-09 04:54 PM
    Last week I never had a data plan for a few days and was running off wifi. Even bbm was working

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 11:09 PM
    Sorry but I just dont get this BB stuff. I have a BB Bold with a vodafone data plan as you call it. BUt I have not got BIS or BES. And I cant get WIFI mine is greyed out.

Thanks.
    08-19-09 02:28 AM
    Sorry but I just dont get this BB stuff. I have a BB Bold with a vodafone data plan as you call it. BUt I have not got BIS or BES. And I cant get WIFI mine is greyed out.

Thanks.
    I don't know what BIS or BES is, and maybe this is a silly question, but have you set up a wireless network?

I don't have a data plan, but I couldn't use WIFI until I had went into the options of the 'Browser' application, into 'Options' and change the 'Browser' option to 'Hotspot Browser' in both the 'General Properties' and 'Browser Configuration' sections.

Give that a go?
    08-19-09 02:33 AM
    Liamuae, Thats great thanks. that works for me I switched to Hotspot browser. I now I can connect to my wifi. Great Thanks again.
    08-19-09 02:42 AM
    It works nice for many ppl without data plan.. eventhoug i feel that a BB without data plan is an incomplete BB
    I think the whole smartphone business try to sell us fully option car without telling us that it's ok not to have gps in the car, or remote control to open the door. I wonder why we want to go along with this. Do all of you get your $30 worth on BB? I know many of may friends doesn't on their iPhone... They just want an iPhone and can afford the $30 plan.

Can someone confirm that push mail will work without data plan?

Can someone tell me what is the different between the Blackberry plan vs standard $20 data plan?
    08-25-09 02:08 PM
    ... They just want an iPhone and can afford the $30 plan.

Can someone confirm that push mail will work without data plan?

Can someone tell me what is the different between the Blackberry plan vs standard $20 data plan?
    Agreed, ... you can search for more detailed answers, but here is the short version:

1) NO BB data plan = NO push mail.
    2) BB Plan = BB Push mail + Internet, etc...
    Standard Data Plan = Internet, etc.. (NO Push mail)
    08-25-09 02:24 PM
    Last week I never had a data plan for a few days and was running off wifi. Even bbm was working

impossible? BBM wont work over wifi i though..
    08-25-09 03:40 PM
    impossible? BBM wont work over wifi i though..
    Of course bbm does work over wifi, I do it all the time, I turn off my radio to save battery and use wifi only with no issues.
    08-25-09 03:51 PM
    does not having the bb plan charge you if you get on the internet with wifi?
    08-25-09 03:57 PM
    Of course bbm does work over wifi, I do it all the time, I turn off my radio to save battery and use wifi only with no issues.
    really? from what i understand from other post is that BBM can only work if you have a dataplan...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/sti...er-wifi-65571/

before i got the dataplan, BBM never workd.. n i tried everything...
    08-25-09 05:18 PM
    From what I understand by reading many posts. You need to turn on data to get apps to work. However, you can choose to use Wifi instead of the cellphone data network.

The catch is that if you forget to do that, without data plan you will pay a lot of money per kB. This is what I understand. I guess we need one How-to thread on all the trick we can do with BB when wifi is available .
    08-25-09 10:25 PM
    the tour doesnt even have wifi,sucks
    08-30-09 08:41 PM
    From what I understand by reading many posts. You need to turn on data to get apps to work. However, you can choose to use Wifi instead of the cellphone data network.

The catch is that if you forget to do that, without data plan you will pay a lot of money per kB. This is what I understand. I guess we need one How-to thread on all the trick we can do with BB when wifi is available .
    Use my signature.....
    09-01-09 10:39 AM
    really? from what i understand from other post is that BBM can only work if you have a dataplan...

before i got the dataplan, BBM never workd.. n i tried everything...
    BBM works perfectly over Wifi for me. My bold has had no issues with it. I used to use my bold without a data plan and the phone worked well with just wifi. You do sacrifice the ability to use some apps like Google Maps (and basically all google stuff), Facebook, and a few other apps. But with wifi, all of it can easily be accessed on the browser.

I mean, I might even consider canceling my BIS plan and going back to what I used to do. I am always near my computer, I have unlimited messaging for MMS emails. Personally, I think GPS technology is a joke anyway. I don't leave the house without knowing where I'm going.

So all in all, you shouldn't be too disappointed.
    09-02-09 02:06 AM
    its impossible......your device cant connect to RIM servers without data enabled......period....also no push email.....you can have "pull" email......but no push
    09-02-09 10:14 AM

no this isnt correct....many if not MOST 3rd party AND native apps will only work with a data plan.....period.....bbm is through rim servers....you cant establish vpn or apn without your carrier enabling this through the data plan feature.........

And even if you do DL the handful of apps that can connect through wifi........NO you will not be charged per kb or otherwise.......you can only be charged for data pulled off the network.......such as TMO wap.....
    09-02-09 10:17 AM
    hope this helps
    09-02-09 10:35 AM

BBM can work without a Data plan?

How?
    09-04-09 11:35 AM
    I have a data plan/service here in Aruba. When I go to the U.S. can I turn off my data when roaming but turn on Wifi and use BBM? Since the workbooks are already installed on my BB.
    I dont want high bills at the end of the month again.
    09-30-09 01:17 AM
    Hi, how did you get your BBM to work over your wifi? I have the Bold and I have been trying to do that for a while with no success...please let me know. Thanks in advance!

~ BB Newbie
    10-28-09 12:53 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD