I am sorry if this is a dumb question but...
    I recently got a BB Curve 8320 and currently using the Wi-Fi from my house to get on the internet. Is there any charges from doing so? I would assume not but I am just making sure.

Also, I cannot seem to be able to install google map. Also, are aim and GPS functions only enabled by buying the blackberry data plan? My family plan ends in November, so should I wait it out? Also, if I can connect with wi-fi, are there any AIM applications I can use while I am on Wi-fi? Thank you!
    06-30-08 10:57 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!

No question is stupid here...

You are not charged when using WiFi to browse. And most WiFi apps require a data plan to use / activate before you can use with WiFi only!!
    06-30-08 10:58 AM
    Jivetalk is a great app for $20 though =/ but one of the few apps to utilizw wifi

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 11:00 AM
    thank you guys so much !! if i add the $20 a month for the blackberry data plan, would it be foolish if i did that when my plan ends in november?
    06-30-08 11:01 AM
    I wont be able to answer questions about AIM or GPS because I dont use either but as said above, wifi is not charged. What you CAN use (tried and tested by me, free of cost) is:

1. BB Browser for total net surfing
    2. Opera Mini for total net surfing
    3. Jive Talk (IM)

Mundu (another IM program) did not work on wifi.
    06-30-08 11:03 AM
    i tried downloading the jivetalk trial but could not open it b/c my comp couldnt read ".alx" files, what can i do about that? Thank you!
    06-30-08 11:04 AM
    thank you guys so much !! if i add the $20 a month for the blackberry data plan, would it be foolish if i did that when my plan ends in november?
    I dont get that Q. Why would it be foolish? And whats the connection between your family plan and data plan?
    06-30-08 11:05 AM
    i tried downloading the jivetalk trial but could not open it b/c my comp couldnt read ".alx" files, what can i do about that? Thank you!
    You need to go through your desktop manager. Connect your BB > Go to application loader > select the .alx file and upload it onto your device. Its a 2 minute process.
    06-30-08 11:06 AM
    You need to use Desktop Manager, connect your Berry and install it on your device using AppLoader!
    06-30-08 11:06 AM
    i derno, is the BB plan a contractual 1 year thing or something?(that goes along with your current plan) I am newb sorry. hahaha but i <3 my BB lol
    06-30-08 11:07 AM
    I wont be able to answer questions about AIM or GPS because I dont use either but as said above, wifi is not charged. What you CAN use (tried and tested by me, free of cost) is:

1. BB Browser for total net surfing
    2. Opera Mini for total net surfing
    3. Jive Talk (IM)

Mundu (another IM program) did not work on wifi.
    And do those work with WiFi only... no data plan active at all...

Or do they work through WiFi after they are initialized and activated through your data plan?? Did you test them with your mobile network off so they could not activate with your data plan?
    06-30-08 11:07 AM
    i derno, is the BB plan a contractual 1 year thing or something?(that goes along with your current plan) I am newb sorry. hahaha but i <3 my BB lol
    No, it is an addon to your current plan. It does not affect your contract at all.

It is just a 20 dollar addon each month... you can add it and remove it at will, not affecting your contract at all!
    06-30-08 11:08 AM
    OOH ! makes sense! Thanks !!! I'll have to go to my carrier place in person huh? that $20 a month will also include email access right? thank you guys so much
    06-30-08 11:10 AM
    OOH ! makes sense! Thanks !!! I'll have to go to my carrier place in person huh? that $20 a month will also include email access right? thank you guys so much
    You can all TMobile from your phone by dialing 611

Talk to them and you can add the unlimited BlackBerry data addon (email and internet) for $20 a month! It is called BIS.
    06-30-08 11:15 AM
    And do those work with WiFi only... no data plan active at all...

Or do they work through WiFi after they are initialized and activated through your data plan?? Did you test them with your mobile network off so they could not activate with your data plan?
    Yup...no data plan active at all. I never took the data plan so activation has been only through wifi. I also did test them using only wifi. Plus they do not work if the wifi is off. I have received my bills and havent been charged a single penny
    06-30-08 11:15 AM
    Yes. But one suggestionl. The data plan is cool and all but why spend an extra $10 when you have a wifi capable phone? I have the $10 email only service and no data plan. My wifi works perfectly. If you're in the vicinity of a wifi network everyday then think about it. Save yourself 10 bucks a month and do justice to your wifi phone!
    06-30-08 11:17 AM
    Yes. But one suggestionl. The data plan is cool and all but why spend an extra $10 when you have a wifi capable phone? I have the $10 email only service and no data plan. My wifi works perfectly. If you're in the vicinity of a wifi network everyday then think about it. Save yourself 10 bucks a month and do justice to your wifi phone!
    That is a very valid point, sir!!

I have a question... have you ever attempted those WiFi application tests without the email data active?? I think the data plan for email ($9.99 from TMo) is able to do the activation for some apps... I am not 100% sure.

Just wondering because I currently run WiFi only and never had success with those apps!! I cancelled my data plan to save some extra bucks while I am in school, etc! Just wondering... maybe the email data is able to do the initical activation of the app... and then you can use the WiFi after the fact. I have always kind of wondered about this
    06-30-08 11:20 AM
    Very true. I am moving to LA for the next two years to attend USC. I do not think my new apartment will have wi-fi however, I am sure all college campuses have wi-fi capabilities? This is where I am torn. I can probably use the internet on my laptop at home and just use wifi on campus?! Ahhh ! I dont know ! haha
    06-30-08 11:22 AM
    oh yah ! one last question ! For beejive or jivetalk..should i purchase it off my phone or the internet? O.o not sure how it works
    06-30-08 11:23 AM
    That is a very valid point, sir!!

I have a question... have you ever attempted those WiFi application tests without the email data active?? I think the data plan for email ($9.99 from TMo) is able to do the activation for some apps... I am not 100% sure.

Just wondering because I currently run WiFi only and never had success with those apps!! I cancelled my data plan to save some extra bucks while I am in school, etc! Just wondering... maybe the email data is able to do the initical activation of the app... and then you can use the WiFi after the fact. I have always kind of wondered about this
    Actually, no. The email plan does nothing to that effect. I got the email plan three days after I got my phone and in those three days my wifi was still going strong for browsing and stuff I got jive talk a little later but I still dont think there's any connection between email plan and the data that gets transmitted through wifi. Carriers wouldnt allow that because that like giving extra service for only $10.
    06-30-08 11:24 AM
    oh yah ! one last question ! For beejive or jivetalk..should i purchase it off my phone or the internet? O.o not sure how it works
    Either way works. OTA (over the air) install direct to the device or download to the computer and load with Desktop Manager!! Both easy!!

As for the WiFi debate / dilemma... going to college I would advice the email only (or no data plan at all!!). Realistically, you are going to be on campus with WiFi everywhere... and you have a WiFi enabled device!! You can browse the internet and check email right from the BB Browser using WiFi!!

That is what I personally do to save some money

And, if you think about it... you should be within walking distance of a computer 99% of the time. For the rest of the time, do you really wanna be bothered by school related emails and have the distraction of a Berry dinging when you get an email? I am satisfied with my WiFi for the time being. I had a data plan but cancelled it, due to the fact I can use WiFi (which is always available int he locations I am).
    06-30-08 11:27 AM
    Very true. I am moving to LA for the next two years to attend USC. I do not think my new apartment will have wi-fi however, I am sure all college campuses have wi-fi capabilities? This is where I am torn. I can probably use the internet on my laptop at home and just use wifi on campus?! Ahhh ! I dont know ! haha
    Yes most univs have wifi and I have wifi at home as well so I'm literally sorrounded by wifi wherever I am! Yes, you could use wifi on campus and a cable internet connection at home. Frankly, it depends on how much you really need to browse. For me email is more imp than surfing the net and I get email irrespective of whether I'm connected to wifi or not. But wifi is always good when I'm looking to kill time or when I'm on the Crackberry WAP site

Jivetalk...download it from the net onto your pc...upload onto your device. Check it out for 30 days (free trial). Then you can buy the activation code from your phone once the 30-day trial period is over.
    06-30-08 11:28 AM
    Actually, no. The email plan does nothing to that effect. I got the email plan three days after I got my phone and in those three days my wifi was still going strong for browsing and stuff I got jive talk a little later but I still dont think there's any connection between email plan and the data that gets transmitted through wifi. Carriers wouldnt allow that because that like giving extra service for only $10.
    I understand the WiFi on BlackBerries very well... don't get me wrong. The only tricky thing is activation of third party apps. I browse the web just fine without any data plan, etc.... and I know the email addon from TMo does not allow full data access or anything to the effect.

I used to have the BIS thru TMo and cancelled it, deeming it unneccessary at this time I am not able to currently use some apps, such as GMail and the likes because they 1) Do not work with WiFi only or 2) Do work with WiFi only but do not have the means to complete the initial activation, which is done most of the time through the data plan.

I just didn't know if the email addon provided a little window so those third party apps can become active. Have you tried GMail, etc?? I will have to play around more with Opera and JiveTalk once I am home tonight from work. Is there a trial for JiveTalk, I forget.

*EDIT* I see from your above post that JiveTalk does have a trial period... I will test some of this tonight when I am home... As for Opera Mini... what is the point of using it when the BB Browser is just as fast (in OS 4.5!)?
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 06-30-08 at 11:33 AM.
    06-30-08 11:31 AM
    I just didn't know if the email addon provided a little window so those third party apps can become active. Have you tried GMail, etc?? I will have to play around more with Opera and JiveTalk once I am home tonight from work. Is there a trial for JiveTalk, I forget.
    Yeah, i tried gmail by actually going to www.gmail.com and signing in...just for the fun of it. Is that what you're talking about? But I dont do that anymore since I now have push email.

Yes, there's a free 30-day trial for JT.
    06-30-08 11:34 AM
    *EDIT* I see from your above post that JiveTalk does have a trial period... I will test some of this tonight when I am home... As for Opera Mini... what is the point of using it when the BB Browser is just as fast (in OS 4.5!)?
    I dont have 4.5...wont install until the official version is out with Tmo. With 4.3 the BB browser just dies while loading certain websites..I guess its a little slow. But I still like it and Opera is just a back up. In fact I can view CNN videos on BB browser but not on Opera. There're times when I search a website on both browsers at the same time and then stick to the one which loads it faster...many times its Opera So each has its own little advantages..For you, I think Opera wont be much of an advantage though considering you have 4.5
    06-30-08 11:38 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD