I just thought I would post a good example as to why people need an unlimited data plan on their BlackBerrys.

I don't do a ton of downloading or surfing on my BlackBerry. I use JiveTalk, Viigo, Weather Eye and rarely use BB Browser. Over the past 30 days I've used approx 50megs of data. Thankfully I have an unlimited data plan... if I didn't it would have cost me $440!!! Wow.

BlackBerrys are data eaters... so if you're new to BB I would HIGHLY suggest you get an unlimited data plan!
    06-04-08 12:24 AM
    I concur. Great example.
    06-04-08 12:26 AM
    Great post. And like Brothamoveson, I agree also.
    06-04-08 12:29 AM
    Wow, I average 85 MB. How much would that be? $20 unlimited is obviously a bargain.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-08 12:29 AM
    Wow, I average 85 MB. How much would that be? $20 unlimited is obviously a bargain.

I suppose that would really depend on how much your provider charges per meg. I know Telus charges $8 per meg.
    06-04-08 12:40 AM
    Telus charges $8 per meg.
    Heavens to Mergatroid!! I'd have to refinance my house just to pay my phone bill.
    06-04-08 12:42 AM
    Great example. If you own a smartphone, PDA phone, or BB unlimited data plan is pretty close to a requirement.
    06-04-08 12:42 AM
    Funny story, not related to BB and not meaning to hijack the thread...but....I have an all data aircard that I use for work/travel with my company, and somehow I got put on the "100mb" plan instead of the unlimited.

I used over 1000000 kb in data that month, resulting in over a $7000 bill!!

The rep said to frame it thats the highest he's ever seen....then credited the usage....and put me on the right plan!

LOL not related but FUNNY....you shoulda seen me when I opened THAT bill!
    06-04-08 12:57 AM
    Funny story, not related to BB and not meaning to hijack the thread...but....I have an all data aircard that I use for work/travel with my company, and somehow I got put on the "100mb" plan instead of the unlimited.

I used over 1000000 kb in data that month, resulting in over a $7000 bill!!

The rep said to frame it thats the highest he's ever seen....then credited the usage....and put me on the right plan!

LOL not related but FUNNY....you shoulda seen me when I opened THAT bill!
    I'm surprised you're still on this side of the grass. I would have dropped dead before my wife had the chance to shoot me.
    06-04-08 01:00 AM
    Wow, 50 megs. Pretty good. I know with the iPhone I was doing well over 100 Megs.

With the Bold, I will definitely do a lot more.
    06-04-08 01:01 AM
    I average a 125mb per month in data. That was a good post. Maybe some of the new people will see it and not ask why it's important to have a data plan. I did get a 525.00 dollar bill 4 years ago from my first Berry with Nextel. I only had to pay half and due to me misunderstanding the rep about service plan I paid about 260 bucks and they ate the rest. They did put me on the right plan afterwards. It only cost 10 bucks more. Go figure!!!

06-04-08 01:07 AM
    My wife gets calls in the AT&T call center every day with people complaining about their 5, 6, and 7 hundred dollar bills for their iPhone/Smartphone. They all figure they didn't need the unlimited plan and could control their data usage.

bad idea.

I say either get the unlimited data plan or stick with a flip phone that doesn't need one. What's the point of having a smartphone if you don't plan to use it for its intended purpose?
    06-04-08 01:36 AM
    Yeah those data charges can get you as your addiction grows.

06-04-08 01:38 AM
    I use to need 30 MB. I enjoy now the unlimited plan.
    06-04-08 03:28 AM
    I use to need 30 MB. I enjoy now the unlimited plan.
    I just looked at my bill, 164mb of data
    06-04-08 03:32 AM
    When I was with Helio, I had unlimited everything... Data, texts, and minutes. I'd use about 3000 minutes a month, 2 gigs of data (lots of youtube) and 6000 plus texts. With Blackberry, I think all carriers have unlimited data plans now. There are no BB plans with megabyte restrictions that I know of. So, it seems to be a moot point.

06-04-08 04:07 AM
    When I was with Helio, I had unlimited everything... Data, texts, and minutes. I'd use about 3000 minutes a month, 2 gigs of data (lots of youtube) and 6000 plus texts. With Blackberry, I think all carriers have unlimited data plans now. There are no BB plans with megabyte restrictions that I know of. So, it seems to be a moot point.

It's not much of a moot point when you still have people coming on the forums wanting to activiate a BB w/o a data plan.
    06-04-08 07:13 PM
    I'm on a computer MOST of the day...using that much data on a BB is really ODD to me!!!
    06-04-08 07:27 PM
    i would never even think of activating my berry without an unlimited data plan. verizon requires you to choose the BIS or BES data plan which are both unlimited so not much to worry about there, but still...imagine that bill...
    06-04-08 07:36 PM
    I'm on a computer MOST of the day...using that much data on a BB is really ODD to me!!!
    I work in production, most of us carry laptops, but for obvious reasons, our BB's are the essence of our being. E-mails, texting and internet are more of a priority then the actual phone~!
    06-04-08 07:52 PM
    Thought I would add a little visual touch to this thread

06-04-08 08:04 PM
    I'm confused. data? Viigo and MegaJive? What are all these things?? Needless to say, I don't have a data plan but then again my bill has a tendency to be high at least every other month so someone please break it down.
    06-05-08 06:26 AM
    damn, i had 83mb on last months bill, but this last bill says 35mb since i was on vacation for 2 1/2weeks
    bis for $19.99 is definitely the way to go
    you need to have unlimited text also!
    Last edited by kickinitlive247; 06-05-08 at 08:22 AM. Reason: clarification
    06-05-08 08:20 AM
    I am a Real Estate Broker and I HAD to have unlimited everything. Best thing I ever did..I have 6 lines on my fam's personal account sharing 1400 mins, I can use that in 2 weeks with work..and the data?? Sooooo worth it....
    Emails pushed to the BB while out are essential to my work as well...
    06-05-08 09:06 AM
    I have always paid to get unlimited options for text and data, nothing else even makes sense anymore.
    06-05-08 09:13 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD