I will admit, BB10 is fantastic for business use and I really do love my Z30. The file management alone is really wonderfully done and is so nice when saving or sending files.

With that being said, why would anyone in the youth market want a BB? I can't for the life of me find one reason why I would recommend it to someone outside of the business world that is mainly concerned with entertainment or apps.

The camera is not up to par with the iPhone or a high end Android phone, the app selection is sparse (and I don't want to hear about sideloading or Snap because the apps don't run as well). The media selection in BBWorld is small compared to Apple and Google as well.

What would be a reason the youth market would want a BB10 phone? I'm really just curious on this as I can't for the life of me find a reason.
    01-13-14 08:07 AM
    The keyboard great for texting

Posted via Melissa, BBZ10
    01-13-14 08:10 AM
    One of the main reasons I got it. & I fall under "youth"

01-13-14 08:10 AM
    The keyboard great for texting

Lol I laughed when I read this.
    The keyboard and the hub is the only thing BlackBerry has got going for themselves.
    Yes, it has security but the youth are not worried about that.

Posted via CB10
    Fnen90 likes this.
    01-13-14 08:16 AM
    im 16 had a Z10 now going for the q10.ecause of BB10's awesomeness
    01-13-14 08:16 AM
    I don't know. I'm 16 years old and I own a Z10. I got the 9700 from my dad when he bought himself a 9900. I liked it very much from the beginning. After a while I wanted an iPhone because the 9700 looked old and used already and my 2-year-contract was over. But at the end I decided for the Z10 because I liked the flow and because we also own a Playbook I thought that I will be able to sideload all apps I want from Android. I don't know why, but I don't like an Android phone and an iPhone was too expensive for me. (Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Austria )

EDIT: Also because of the fantasic virtual keyboard for typing!
    01-13-14 08:17 AM
    Besides the keyboard and maybe the HUB, nothing IMO. And that is only if they do not like the iOS keyboard, WP keyboard or the dozens of selections on Android.

There is no other reason. iOS and Android have ALL of the apps, and the apps integrate perfectly with the platform it is designed for. iOS and Android devices also get a lot more support when it comes to third party accessories, like cases, battery packs and other things.

I would only recommend a BB10 device to a youth who doesn't care about having the latest and greatest (when it comes to apps and hardware). I have a lot of cousins who are still in their teens. They thought my Z10 was cool but that's about it. They continued on their way with their iPhones and Android devices.

It's also going to be hard for a lot of them to switch when they or their parents bought them a ton of things in whatever app store they are coming from. Yes they can get the Android apps onto BB10, but there is no chance of getting iOS apps onto BB10.
    01-13-14 08:18 AM
    Coz it works for me? Not bulky, pretty ergonomic design. And keyboard! My life doesn't revolve around handphones, so apps are not a necessity for me.
    01-13-14 08:20 AM
    Lol I laughed when I read this.
    The keyboard and the hub is the only thing BlackBerry has got going for themselves.
    Yes, it has security but the youth are not worried about that.

Posted via CB10
    You laugh, but thats the reason my teenage daughter wanted a Z10 ....she loved the keyboard

To be fair BlackBerry is missing some major Social apps that the young folks want, but this thread is a bit of a bait I think OP. Its been covered many times before, I think its pretty obvious the take rate with the young demographic is low maninly due to the app gap. Can we just give that a rest thou?
    01-13-14 08:23 AM
    I will admit, BB10 is fantastic for business use and I really do love my Z30. The file management alone is really wonderfully done and is so nice when saving or sending files.

With that being said, why would anyone in the youth market want a BB? I can't for the life of me find one reason why I would recommend it to someone outside of the business world that is mainly concerned with entertainment or apps.

The camera is not up to par with the iPhone or a high end Android phone, the app selection is sparse (and I don't want to hear about sideloading or Snap because the apps don't run as well). The media selection in BBWorld is small compared to Apple and Google as well.

What would be a reason the youth market would want a BB10 phone? I'm really just curious on this as I can't for the life of me find a reason.
    The Z30's camera is on par with the iPhone's. I don't understand why people are complaining.

And young people tend to send a lot of messages, so a good keyboard helps. Also worth noted here is the Hub, which is very useful for someone who sends a lot of messages.

Another thing young people might be interested in is the sound quality and the Z30 has some pretty amazing speakers.

And finally, BlackBerry 10 beats every other mobile OS when it comes to sharing and integration between apps.

BlackBerry 10 devices also look cool and they are quite cheap. A Z10 is �150 off contract in the UK right now. An iPhone 5s is �550. A Z30 is also cheaper than an iPhone: about �400.

Posted from my shiny BlackBerry Z30
    01-13-14 08:25 AM
    You laugh, but thats the reason my teenage daughter wanted a Z10 ....she loved the keyboard
    I am pretty sure they were laughing at the fact that the user loves the keyboard so much, they forgot a word in their sentence using said awesome keyboard. I could be wrong though.
    01-13-14 08:26 AM
    Don't run as well as what? BlackBerry native Cascades? No, neither do Android apps on Android, or iOS apps on iOS.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-13-14 08:26 AM
    What do you mean sideloaded Snap apps don't run well? That's not true (at least the apps I run works great), I use BOA, and a couple of games and they very well. There's tons of native feature that can attract the younger generation. I happen to love story maker, time-shift within the camera, hdmi output to have a larger screen for movies and games. The sweetest keyboard on a touch screen device for texting, BBM and emails (believe it or not young folks email to). In BlackBerry World the apps are rolling in, it may not have the same name but it does the same thing (Pandora-- Apollo or Starbucks -- Make and so on). If that's not enough - what more can they do on their iPhone or Android?

The Most Interesting Device In The World, BBZ10! Keep Moving My Friends!
    Last edited by Trini-34; 01-13-14 at 08:40 AM.
    01-13-14 08:27 AM
    I am pretty sure they were laughing at the fact that the user loves the keyboard so much, they forgot a word in their sentence using said awesome keyboard. I could be wrong though.
    maybe just a coma? Guessing he meant to write "The keyboard, great for texting"

But I see now why it might be funny
    01-13-14 08:29 AM
    Don't run as well as what? BlackBerry native Cascades? No, neither do Android apps on Android, or iOS apps on iOS.
    Exactly. Android apps are a bit slow on Android devices too. Things will change now that KitKat was released with the ART project.

Mecca EL likes this.
    01-13-14 08:34 AM
    Im 19 and im using z10 and all i can say is the os is way way better than android and ios! Love the hub, the gestures, active frame, sideloading, keyboard (auto predict), bbm (with bbm channels and video), toast notifs, everything! If blackberry has a good strategy for marketing later on people will do realize that bb10 is the best os in the market , whether in business sector or youth.

Sent from my beautiful z10 running 10.2 using Tapatalk
    01-13-14 08:40 AM
    I don't know if I class as 'youth' anymore as I'm 25, but I do however work with a lot of people aged 18-24 ( maybe this falls under the youth category). Anyway, I don't see why somebody wouldn't go for one of the new blackberries. They do pretty much everything an android or iphone can, the only things missing are snapchat and instagram (none of which is very popular, and when I asked one lad why he used them his response was 'I dunno, it's a fad I guess). The Internet is quick, I have every app I could want, including bank apps, games etc, plus I get 2 days out of my BlackBerry. I don't have to carry a charger about and I don't have a phone with a smashed screen (almost everyone I know with an iphone has a smashed screen). So if a youth wants a decent phone that works well, is quick and is cheap I don't see why you couldn't recommend it

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 08:50 AM

My filling is that BlackBerry is going to have to produce the apps for the youth, to get them using BlackBerry devices. For BlackBerry to survive it will have to rethink the business only aspect. Because it hasn't work up to now. BlackBerry has to go with the numbers and the numbers aren't in companies. Besides If you look at life it is a business you have expenses (bills), profits (income), losses (unexpected things or bad money management), Ect. If you don't look at your life like that your going to be broke all the time. Anyways back to the youth. Here is another good reason youths would use BlackBerry devices: I have worked in the school system for a few years now and I would say about 60 percent of the student work is done electronically. Teachers are emailing and texting assignments to student, tests and quizzes are on the web through sites like Angle, students have access to e-books, online labs, students are sending report to the teacher electronically, schools are posting on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the list goes on. Why wouldn't a youth use a BlackBerry device to get these thing accomplished faster than using the other manufacturers devices. Schools are letting student bring there own devices and with Balance on BB10 the school can have control of the work side of the device and the student has control over the life side of the device. The sales are in the numbers and youth are the numbers.
    Mecca EL and westrada93 like this.
    01-13-14 09:01 AM
    The Z30's camera is on par with the iPhone's. I don't understand why people are complaining.

And young people tend to send a lot of messages, so a good keyboard helps. Also worth noted here is the Hub, which is very useful for someone who sends a lot of messages.

Another thing young people might be interested in is the sound quality and the Z30 has some pretty amazing speakers.

And finally, BlackBerry 10 beats every other mobile OS when it comes to sharing and integration between apps.

BlackBerry 10 devices also look cool and they are quite cheap. A Z10 is �150 off contract in the UK right now. An iPhone 5s is �550. A Z30 is also cheaper than an iPhone: about �400.

The camera is not even close to the 5S. While it's on they are not on the same level.
    avt123, JeepBB, Donvald and 3 others like this.
    01-13-14 09:06 AM
    The camera is not even close to the 5S. While it's on they are not on the same level.
    Agreed. The Z30 camera is good enough (I believe it is the same hardware as the Z10, which also takes decent pictures), but not up to par with the 5S.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-13-14 09:09 AM
    They don't run as well meaning like for Android you can't sign in to use google services like with Maps, and they also run slower (at least they run slower compared to my Note 3). Some of them just plain don't work like aTorrent. So that's what I mean by that statement.

Also, many aren't going to go through the steps to sideload anyway and put Snap on their phones.

Again I'm not trying to devalue BB10 as I happen to think its great but to me I just don't know how it can compete in the younger crowd.

I'm by no means in the younger crowd (I'm 37) but I don't see why people who aren't using it for business would have much interest in it. Just my opinion so don't everyone fly off the handle and go crazy.
    avt123, Donvald, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    01-13-14 09:10 AM
    They wouldn't. Sorry.
    flyingsolid and JeepBB like this.
    01-13-14 09:28 AM
    One reason: BBM
    clickitykeys likes this.
    01-13-14 09:35 AM
    While it may be hard for the younger crowd to stand away from the crowd and get a BB, don't discount the things it can do well.
    - basic day to day use; text, BBM, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube it can hold its own.
    - hub. Incredibly easy and fast way to do much of the above.
    - camera. In your opinion may not be as good. I am sure in a blind test, looking at the most common types of pictures, selfies, etc the difference is between minimal and nonexistent.
    - typing. Enough said.

For sure I didn't add a few of the popular apps, it is natural that the most dominant platforms will get the new stuff first. Eventually they will come or someone makes a substitute such as blackgram for instagram.
    It's a slow Monday so I bit on this post, it's in some people's nature to step out from the crowd, try something new, even if it is currently not better, with the hopes it will become so. Without those, usually young, people we would be stuck in a rut. Hell you might even be using Yahoo instead of Google. If it was all about being/ using the best you wouldn't actually be using a smart phone. who would watch a movie on it instead of that big screen on the wall, who would listen to music using a crappy MP3.

Sent while driving from my CrackBerry.
    schwede and ylefrancois like this.
    01-13-14 09:36 AM
    People are forgetting that a big reason why so many youth in the past had blackberries was because they were ALL over TV shows that they watched.

Verizon had an exclusive deal with Gossip Girl and that show heavily featured blackberries until the end when verizon switched out blackberries for various other manufactures.

Without the cash (from service providers or whomever) to exploit opportunities like that, it won't catch on, no matter how good it is.
    collinc93 likes this.
    01-13-14 09:39 AM
560 123 ...