As a cell phone repair company owner i dont understand why people do not research before they buy a phone. To buy a screen for most bb or iphone at cost can run $20-40 making the repair usually $70-100. The cost of the new s3 screen is$250 and the s2 is still running $200 making the repair $250-300 depending on the model. Most people that buy a bmw realize repair costs are rediculous. People should know this when they purchase their phones for next to nothing on contracts. Anyone can drop their phones. Even i have and im damn careful with my 9900 and galaxy note. Every day i get 2 people min calling me for screen repair on the galaxy phones. 2 people so far have actually paid to get it done. Dont get me wrong. The galaxy phones are great. Love my note but i realize its $250 if i break it. I can afford it. Think about it before you sign up for your new contract and do your homework. Dont just look up how great it is.
    07-24-12 07:52 AM
    People either say "ooh shiny" and buy it lol
    or
    people just say "I'll be really careful", or "I'll have it in an otterbox it will be fine.

...and then you have the people who just don't care and want what they want without caring about the consequences.
    07-24-12 08:13 AM
    There is a thing called a warranty as well when bought from carriers and usually a 1 year warranty when bought without contract from the manufacturer.
    07-24-12 08:22 AM
    Repair costs are probably one of the last things people think about when buying almost anything. Honestly, when someone buys a microwave do they care about the repair costs or the wattage and colour?
    07-24-12 08:25 AM
    That's why you have the warranty and insurances

I have a insurance made for my PB! If something happens to it, it will only cost me 60� to have a new one. not bad.

But seriously, the BMW was a great example!

Sent from a beautiful but old BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    07-24-12 08:27 AM
    As a cell phone repair company owner i dont understand why people do not research before they buy a phone. To buy a screen for most bb or iphone at cost can run $20-40 making the repair usually $70-100. The cost of the new s3 screen is$250 and the s2 is still running $200 making the repair $250-300 depending on the model. Most people that buy a bmw realize repair costs are rediculous. People should know this when they purchase their phones for next to nothing on contracts. Anyone can drop their phones. Even i have and im damn careful with my 9900 and galaxy note. Every day i get 2 people min calling me for screen repair on the galaxy phones. 2 people so far have actually paid to get it done. Dont get me wrong. The galaxy phones are great. Love my note but i realize its $250 if i break it. I can afford it. Think about it before you sign up for your new contract and do your homework. Dont just look up how great it is.
    Nice ad brother. I believe you answered your own question.
    The galaxy phones are great. Love my note but i realize its $250 if i break it. I can afford it.
    It only cost $50 to have the phone fixed with issurance. Everybody i know has issurance on them.
    07-24-12 08:31 AM
    why would anyone suffer 2-3 years with a phone they hate on the off chance that they have to replace a broken screen? People would much rather get the phone they want with a warranty, put it in a strong case, or be careful. Not to mention that you'd be lucky if you broke a phone screen and could just replace it, more likely the phone itself would be similarly damaged and you would need to replace the whole thing.

Since you work in a repair store I'm sure it's a more pertinent concern for you, but most people see the certain cost of having a phone they don't like and is far more limited as higher than the unlikely cost of paying for a screen replacement.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-24-12 10:06 AM
    Nobody is buying a phone based on how much it costs to replace a broken screen.
    Last edited by cgk; 07-24-12 at 10:30 AM.
    aniym and eth555 like this.
    07-24-12 10:25 AM
    I cannot even tell anyone the locations of cell phone repair shops here in Cleveland. If any even exist, I'd have to Bing or Google them to find them. However, I know the locations of hundreds of stores (carrier and other shops) that sell new cell phones. Nobody really takes a phone to a repair shop here. I'm not aware of any family members, friends, co-workers or acquaintances who got a phone repaired if it broke. Everyone I know either filed an insurance claim or bought a new/used device if breakage occurred.
    07-24-12 11:06 AM
    i carry insurance for about a year and well after that i would be getting a new phone if something happened to it anyway. Repair cost never enters my mind. But good plug for your business indeed
    07-24-12 11:13 AM
    69 bucks gave me insurance for 2 years and I am allowed to swap/exchange any component (twice each) without a payout or deductible.

I can also honestly say, I have NEVER bought anything based on repairs that I may have to make.
    07-24-12 11:20 AM
    You purchase a product based on how it fits your needs, not on how much repairs cost. Insurance takes care of that. They sell because they are excellent products.
    07-24-12 11:28 AM
    Only one thing to say OP,People don't live with the fear of dying.
    And people don't buy stuff with the fear of breaking it. .
    07-24-12 12:30 PM
    Or you call Assurion and tell them you lost your phone and get a new one for $100?

Do people SERIOUSLY go through the trouble to send their phone in for potentially 1-6 weeks depending on the OEM for repair?

Get one through insurance, sell the old one on CL and call it a wash.
    07-24-12 12:49 PM
    Or better yet, get phones through best buy and get their insurance. 8 bucks a month and it covers everything bit theft. Nice part is it only takes 3 days to get a replacement and they give you a loaner.
    07-24-12 01:27 PM
    Warranty doesnt cover if you drop and break the screen. Insurance will. And trust me people do get their phones fixed. Alot! Maybe not in certain areas but they are all over southern ontario. And we all make a pretty good living at it. 3-4 weeks if you send it in through the carriers with a loaner or go to a local repair place and have it repaired that day. With me its usually within the hour. Most people cant go 3 weeks without their phones. Sorry to offend all you. Geez. I get at least 2 calls a day about the newer galaxy phones cause it isnt covered under manufacturers warranty.
    07-24-12 02:18 PM
    they got on you cause it just makes sense to get the phone you want. if you want something you get it; just like you did with your Note, but I do agree that people should at least know a little bit about how much common repairs would cost.

glad its cheap for bb's, I didn't know that before, but my 9650s like a tank!
    07-24-12 02:33 PM
    Nobody is buying a phone based on how much it costs to replace a broken screen.
    why do you think blackberries have tiny screens..
    07-24-12 03:13 PM
    The OP makes a legit point. Some carriers will send you a refurbished phone if your phone has issues and refurbished phones have a higher rate of issues than new phones.

However, people don't think about screen replacement when they are buying phones. Lets be honest most popular touch screen smartphones are fragile and need cases. People need to be very careful when using their phones if they are using a fragile device.
    07-24-12 03:42 PM
    Another thread that I wonder why is in the BB general section, but here is a solid answer.

A lot of people don't think negatively. They say, hey this phone is sweet and I want it. In fact, I have never had a phone screen shatter or crack or anything, never have I needed a replacement. So why would I research how much it cost to repair that?

Do you think people honestly go about saying, wow I could break my leg playing soccer I better not play. Or I could end up paying (insert arbitrary number here) for this car part if I ever get hit by a drunk driver, so I shouldn't drive my car out?

People buy cars because they love what they can do, they play soccer because it is fun, and they buy phones they love to touch and look at....that is why
    07-24-12 04:23 PM
    I can afford it.
    This is the key to your quandary .
    07-24-12 05:42 PM
    Warranty doesnt cover if you drop and break the screen. Insurance will. And trust me people do get their phones fixed. Alot! Maybe not in certain areas but they are all over southern ontario. And we all make a pretty good living at it. 3-4 weeks if you send it in through the carriers with a loaner or go to a local repair place and have it repaired that day. With me its usually within the hour. Most people cant go 3 weeks without their phones. Sorry to offend all you. Geez. I get at least 2 calls a day about the newer galaxy phones cause it isnt covered under manufacturers warranty.
    I fix phones too. 80% of the devices i fix is people that are not on contract. They buy the phones straight out.
    At&t insurance will have a new phone in your hand with in 48hrs. Everyone claim Ive had I got my phone the next day. Matter of fact they dont wait for you to send the old phone in. They send you the replacement and you use its box to ship the old one back.
    07-25-12 04:48 AM
    I fix phones too. 80% of the devices i fix is people that are not on contract. They buy the phones straight out.
    At&t insurance will have a new phone in your hand with in 48hrs. Everyone claim Ive had I got my phone the next day. Matter of fact they dont wait for you to send the old phone in. They send you the replacement and you use its box to ship the old one back.
    I buy my phones outright and the home insurance coverage I have covers the phone and is much cheaper than the carriers insurance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    07-25-12 06:43 AM
    Or you call Assurion and tell them you lost your phone and get a new one for $100?

Do people SERIOUSLY go through the trouble to send their phone in for potentially 1-6 weeks depending on the OEM for repair?

Get one through insurance, sell the old one on CL and call it a wash.
    They have a name for that... It's called insurance fraud. Here in the states it is a felony.
    07-25-12 02:10 PM
    They have a name for that... It's called insurance fraud. Here in the states it is a felony.
    He's not a BB user. It's all good from his point of view .
    07-25-12 02:14 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD