Damn I've never even used Linux... I thought it was dead lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 Device
    03-19-12 01:44 PM

It only has about a 1.5% market share on desktops. However, it is very popular on servers. You probably would not even know if your place of employment had Linux servers, since your desktops would probably be running Windows.
    03-19-12 01:48 PM
    Linux is still huge on the server side of things, as well as Android.

I remember training on coding in school on RedHat.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    03-19-12 01:49 PM

In the consumer sector it may not be noticeable, but in enterprise it maintains a respectable footprint. While the consumer side is slow to adopt, Linux/*nix continues to grow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    03-19-12 01:49 PM
    It only has about a 1.5% market share on desktops. However, it is very popular on servers. You probably would not even know if your place of employment had Linux servers, since your desktops would probably be running Windows.

Why It so good for servers because it can't get viruses?? ... Who's the competition for Linux when it comes to servers ?

03-19-12 01:59 PM
    Linux is still huge on the server side of things, as well as Android.

I remember training on coding in school on RedHat.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    Linux has actually grown as a server OS lately. Windows and Unix servers have declined recently. Clouds push Linux server sales in Q4 • The Register
    03-19-12 01:59 PM
    Why It so good for servers because it can't get viruses ... Who's the competition for Linux when it comes to servers

Unix. 10 characters
    03-19-12 02:00 PM
    My guess is that KM's engaged in psyops because of the recent trademark unpleasantness. It makes perfect sense for KM to have and use and be familiar with the comeptition. But the t-shirt and fanboy-dazed look on his face was disconcerting. If he hasn't gone over yet, that it what it would look like! He must make amends! This like PG Wodehouse making amusing boradcasts over the wireless while in Berlin! Harmless, so he thought!
    03-19-12 02:02 PM
    Why It so good for servers because it can't get viruses?? ... Who's the competition for Linux when it comes to servers ?

It's not because it can't get virii (although it is less susceptible compared to most others). It is designed for network viability, and runs under a modular format. There are many *nix variations available, all of which focuses on that premise. The modular format allows for significantly lower (and quite often zero). downtime when modifications, maintenance, upgrades, etc are required.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-19-12 02:13 PM

Here is a good article, not overly technical, that mentions some of the advantages of using Linux servers.
    03-19-12 02:26 PM
    Thanks for info will check this out

03-19-12 02:42 PM
    The only "war" is on this forum and others like it.
    I wasn 't aware RIM made computers.
    The only war on this site is trying to stop comments like this from guys like you. If somebody makes a false comment give em the right information. Its no peroblem to say I'm sorry I was wrong. This site was created to educate. Just. Blowing thru and posting "your wrong" or "your justna fanboy" doesn't help any body to learn. Put the facts out here. Its no different posting bad information and nust telling the poster they are wrong without telling them the right information.
    03-19-12 03:32 PM
    I use linux as a consumer on all my computers, so I'm very happy to promote it in my community and neighborhood. Already have two people using it, gonna be more soon.
    03-19-12 03:41 PM
    Inform, not misinform. Own multiple platforms, that's how I view it. LinWinDowsOSX. Combine them.
    03-19-12 03:43 PM
    Sounds like to me your taking this way to seriously. These young minds feeling betrayed is only natural. BTW nothing wrong with being a redneck.
    There's nothing wrong with owning, reviewing or even promoting other products. People that has cross experance with other platforms and devices has a heavy opinion in the public eyes. If kevin where to sit down with CNN and talk about the good in BLackberrys only the CB nation would tak him seriously. But being what it is and kevin being known to promote all the plaforms his discusions carries weight. Just the fact that Kevin owns both reflects that Blackberry is just as good as Apple. That's all.
    Sorry I must've missed something (?). You say I'm taking something too seriously, but your post is basically saying what I did in mine about owning and being knowledgeable about other products...
    03-19-12 08:14 PM
    Sorry I must've missed something (?). You say I'm taking something too seriously, but your post is basically saying what I did in mine about owning and being knowledgeable about other products...
    The difference was you want to label em as rednecks. You scolded when you could have explained. I just thought you took the situation to serious. It normal for newbies ton bare arms. Lol
    03-19-12 09:07 PM
    KevinNugent totally wins. I'm holed up in a hotel right now, just read this entire thread, and pretty much laughed my head off the whole time.
    wooHoo! I'll PM my shipping details for the prize.
    03-19-12 10:33 PM
    Kirk: Scotty, Spock - what is all this? . .
    Scotty: I don't a know Captain. I'm still reading past 13 pages and can't see what they're doin'. . .
    Kirk: Spock? . .
    Spock: It would appear to be another of what you Earth people call a blogfeist. Lot's of postings attracted by something that has an arguable small logical core but an expansive volume of emotion. . .
    Kirk: What are the facts? . .
    Spock: He wore a shirt. He tweeted that it was a spoof and he was trying to enter another culture's village, not unlike when you and I dress up so as not to scare any alien life forms. It has confused the beings. . .
    Kirk: So, in other words, another war or bar room brawl like in Earth's old days, started over words,...some cause that people won't even remember... once they're in the thick of it? . .
    Spock: You might draw that conclusion. . .
    Kirk: What do these beings call themselves? . .
    Scotty: I do know that that Captain... "Blackberries, ...or maybe it's Crackberries". . .
    McCoy: I'll take two scoops, sugar cone if you got one.

(my apologies to Trek lovers)
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 03-20-12 at 11:07 AM. Reason: sp
    03-19-12 11:08 PM
    Kirk: Scotty, Spock - what is all this?
    Scotty: I don't a know Captain. I'm still reading past 13 pages and can't see what they're doin'.
    Kirk: Spock?
    Spock: It would appear to be another of what you Earth people call a blogfeist. Lot's of postings attracted by something that has an arguable small logical core but an expansive volume of emotion.
    Kirk: What are the facts?
    Spock: He wore a shirt. He tweeted that it was a spoof and he was trying to enter another culture's village, not unlike when you and I dress up so as not to scare any alien life forms. It has confused the beings.
    Kirk: So, in other words, another war or bar room brawl like in Earth's old days, started over words,...some cause that people won't even remember once they're in the thick of it?
    Spock: You might draw that conclusion.
    Kirk: What do these beings call themselves?
    Scotty: I do know that that Captain... "Blackberries, ...or maybe it's Crackberries".
    McCoy: I'll take two scoops, sugar cone if you got one.

(my apologies to Trek lovers)
    No apology necessary. And, to contimue in the same vein:

03-19-12 11:50 PM
    Whoa. I didn't go through all the posts but KEVIN's was a must read.

Damn OP!! U've got bigtime fishing here. I envy u.
    03-20-12 08:19 AM
    Cherry Garcia FTW!
    wendybeee likes this.
    03-20-12 09:50 PM
    wooHoo! I'll PM my shipping details for the prize.
    Can't wait to get my hands on the P'9981 that was the prize!
    03-21-12 12:03 AM
    Cherry Garcia FTW!
    As a side note, we've just started to get Ben & Jerry's ice cream here in Australia. It's reasonably popular, but one of those little tubs (what are they, a pint?) is about $12.00!

Ridiculous.
    03-21-12 12:05 AM
    Can't wait to get my hands on the P'9981 that was the prize!
    Pls say it's not true.
    03-21-12 01:38 AM
    I had some EXCELLENT mocha almond fudge ice cream yesterday!
    03-21-12 09:23 AM
255 ... 891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD