08-31-09 04:15 PM
87 ... 234
tools
    I'm not sure if its a coincidence or not, but a worthy upgrade takes about two years, which is also the length of a contract.
    Could you give better examples besides the original iPhone/iPhone 3G examples?
    08-29-09 08:37 PM
    VERY well said! Bravo! I totally agree with everything you said and will add some.

Not to sound negative but I think the cell phone industry is progressing too fast in some ways. New phones are being released too often. I know this is probably because technology itself is advancing faster than ever these days. Its not totally a bad thing but what it is doing is what were seeing right now. Smartphone consumers are wanting to upgrade more often, approx once a year. This also creates higher expectations and demand for perfect OS's when a brand new phone is released. I'm not busting on blackberry owners but you can see it from the threads on here.

I admit after having my curve for only 1 year I want a new one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 12:13 AM
    I agree. Some people just like to be up to date technologically, or they just have the money to do so!
    08-30-09 12:39 AM
    Had my 8320 only 5 months now. Maybe? Is it outdated? Absolutely. But I don't care that much. Its ggod for now, and the kinks are worked out. The latest and greatest isn't usually all it's cracked up to be.

08-30-09 01:31 AM
    I'm using a 8320. The ops post is why u haven't upgraded to the 8900. I'm waiting for the next.

08-30-09 03:15 PM
    Be patient and you will eventually come across a BB that is a worthy upgrade.
    If a shark in the ocean stops moving, it dies.

Corporate businesses are identical. Unless a corporation keeps moving, it starts to die.

Everyone is upgrading every 10 minutes because RIM keeps releasing new models to fuel their growth.

Don't expect that to change. And with the coming World War 3 battle between RIM and Apple for domination over the Smart Phone marketplace, you probably will see more new model releases in a tighter timeframe, not less.
    08-30-09 03:28 PM
    Because I want to be Paris Hilton's bff and if that's not a good enough reason I just don't know what is.
    08-30-09 07:17 PM
    I think, as others have pointed out, it depends more on the user's current model than anything else. Granted, we all want the latest and greatest...I know I do lol...but sometimes the upgrade is worth it, independent of the elapsed time from the last purchase.

My first BB was the Curve 8330 with Verizon...as anyone with VZW will tell you, to get a Blackberry meant the Curve, the Storm, the Pearl or the 8830 World Edition. I figured a new model was coming soon, but I was sick of my LG Voyager (a dumb phone with high aspirations, no doubt). The Curve made the most sense for me, even though I knew its life cycle was nearing its end.

So six months later I upgraded to the Tour. I could've stuck with the Curve...no problems whatsoever. But the model is old...and its going to get older quicker once OS 5.0 drops (never mind more memory, better processor, etc). I didn't need to get it, but I had an upgrade available and this should do very nicely for me until 2011 (when I upgrade again, perhaps with another carrier).
    I agree, it does depend on the model I guess. I have been reading the other posts and it got me thinking that if I had a device that was constantly on the fritz, I would want to upgrade right away. But if the phone itself is stable like my Bold (plug), I probably wouldn't because it has been solid. I also realized that it would also depend on the OS cycle you are on. If you bought a Curvr today, after the 5.0 OS was released, your phone may be severely outdated. Sure your phone will have a stable OS because it has been fixed over the time it has been out, but you wouldn't be able to take advantages of some of the new features and apps that require more recent technology. Even saying that, I don't think there is a big enough leap in technolgy with telecommunication devices just yet to warrant a yearly upgrade with the few exceptions of problematic devices, and buying older phones. But I can see some of the other points.

08-30-09 07:54 PM
    If you want to spend the money to upgrade then by all means. My post was directed to those who seem to be upset that the upcoming phones aren't that much better than the device they bought late last year.

I got my Curve 8330 in August of 2008, it had actually already been out for some time before that. Possibly even close to a year, because it wasn't even that expensive. Now the new 8530 is coming to VZW with extremely minimal upgrades which makes me feel like I may need to go with a Tour, or even wait another year or two (provided my current device holds up that long) before another decent Curve comes along. I normally get a new device every year, but it certainly doesn't look like I'll be getting one this year.
    08-31-09 01:55 PM
    Currently a Bold user, I plan to keep my Bold for two years. When my contract expires, I will search for a new BB. By then, I will expect a device that has some major upgrades. It makes me grin when I read posts that complain about new BB devices not being solid upgrades when they own a model that was just released a year ago. I went searching through the Onyx/Merlin threads, and the posters seemed disgusted that the Onyx isn't a worthy upgrade from the Bold. Ladies and gentlmen, upgrading your device every year is only going to leave you broke and disappointed. I'm not sure if its a coincidence or not, but a worthy upgrade takes about two years, which is also the length of a contract. If you bought a Bold last November, the Onyx is not going to be a worthy upgrade for you. If you had the 8820, it will be. Even with other devices, the equation holds true. If you were a first generation Iphone user, Iphone 3G wasn't that big of a deal. If you owned the Iphone 3G, the Iphone 3GS is such a far stretch. However, if you had the original Iphone and took advantage of your two year contract renewal/upgrade to the 3GS, you saw a big improvement. The Onyx is a great device and will probably takeover the Bold as the best BB. But if you have a Bold already, it's not for you. If you have a Curve 8320, the 8520 is not for you. Be patient and you will eventually come across a BB that is a worthy upgrade.
    That's probably true for the most part but if you're upgrading with un-like devices (I went from Pearl Flip to Curve 8900) then i wouldn't say so as I am totally happy with this "upgrade". I liked my flip a lot but the 8900 is even better and they both came out within a year of each other.
    08-31-09 03:11 PM
    Yes, that would be different if you are changing device styles. If you have a 8310 Curve and you get a Storm it will be a worthy upgrade. I would even say if you got a Storm and then got a Bold, it would be a worthy upgrade. I was mainly speaking to someone who buys a Tour then next year expects that the phone replacing the Tour (Tour 2?) will be significantly better.
    08-31-09 04:07 PM
    Could you give better examples besides the original iPhone/iPhone 3G examples?
    My first smartphone was an HTC Tilt. The replacement for that was an HTC Touch Pro the following year. I didn't buy that phone (I bought a BB) because looking at the specs, the phone wasn't much better. It was actually worse in some ways, with the same OS - the Tilt was upgradeable to 6.1. So the differences were marginal. Now there is the Touch Pro 2. This is only marginally better than the first Touch Pro, but if you compare it to the HTC Tilt, it's a big leap forward in every way except for the camera.

Another example would be the Samsung Instinct. My wife had this phone for about a year. Sprint came out with an upgrade, the S30 the following year. The shape was more rounded and the overall performance was slightly faster, but not much better. Actually, the phone was worse. It went from EV-DO Rev. A to EV-DO Rev. 0.

G1-G2
    BlackJack II- Jack
    Palm Treo 800 - Palm Treo Pro

All of these were yearly upgrades and none of the upgrades were considerable.
    08-31-09 04:15 PM
87 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD