But we want the latest and greatest, that's why we upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah, that's also true.
    08-04-09 05:59 PM
    i like the idea of upgrading when new stuff comes out, but when i think about it, how exciting is it after the newness wears off? i remember playing with the storm at verizon thinking how i could never get bored with it, but then the talk of storm 2 came along and had me all excited for that one. i imagine i'd go through a similar cycle of excitement over the newness and then look onto the storm 3. i'll stick with my storm 1 until storm 3 comes out.
    08-04-09 06:01 PM
    The Storm 2 is likely to be a significant improvement over the Storm 1 in many aspects.

Not just a fluff upgrade. Storm 1 = first attempt at a touchscreen BB.
    08-04-09 06:07 PM
    If you want to spend the money to upgrade then by all means. My post was directed to those who seem to be upset that the upcoming phones aren't that much better than the device they bought late last year.
    I'll probably get the Onyx or Storm II for my wife. Her 8310 has caught much h@ll and has the battle scars to prove it. Me, I'll keep my BOLD(for now) and see what is around the corner. I can understand if someone wants to upgrade and has the money to spend or simply wants the latest device. Been there. But, I do see your point.
    08-04-09 06:12 PM
    Some people rather pi$$ their money away on phones.
    I feel that way when my Fiance gets a new Coach purse, which seems to be every other month to me, and they're just as expensive, if not more than a BlackBerry. You like what you like, if you can afford it and want to buy it, then by all means do. You only live once...
    08-04-09 06:12 PM
    I think it has a lot to do with our throw away society. I'm very excited to upgrade to the onyx from my curve 8310. My husband asked me what was so great about the onyx, so I told him what I had heard. To be quite honest with everyone, I'm quite happy with my curve. Why do we always have to have the best? Why can't we be happy with what we have? No wonder no one saves money any more - we're too busy keeping up with the Joneses.
    08-04-09 06:13 PM
    Um... They just pried my Motorola Startac out of my hands in March.

Some of the young guys at the verizon store had never seen one.

OMG, How long has it been? I had the "original" .......and the smaller one
    08-04-09 06:14 PM
    I think it has a lot to do with our throw away society. I'm very excited to upgrade to the onyx from my curve 8310. My husband asked me what was so great about the onyx, so I told him what I had heard. To be quite honest with everyone, I'm quite happy with my curve. Why do we always have to have the best? Why can't we be happy with what we have? No wonder no one saves money any more - we're too busy keeping up with the Joneses.
    Can list some pretty huge differences between the Curve 8310 and the Onyx.
    Groundbreaking differences for some, others won't care. Some common use scenarios would lock up or crash the Curve 8310 that the Onyx won't, etc.

Just like some people can't tell the difference between HD and SD displays. For other people it's night and day. In that type of instance it just has more to do with ignorance vs non-ignorance (not in a negative way).

If you don't know, it doesn't make much difference. If you do, it will bug you like crazy.
    08-04-09 06:17 PM
    Some people rather pi$$ their money away on phones. What more do I need?
    True, people do that often... Just be glad they're pi ssing away their money and not yours.

Honestly, the word 'need' should be removed from all discussion. I have yet to see someone get something because they truly 'needed' it. We as humans are no longer driven by 'need'. We are driven by 'want'.
    08-04-09 06:18 PM
    Well put Papped...
    08-04-09 06:18 PM
    We as humans are no longer driven by 'need'. We are driven by 'want'.
    Completely agree, my father always used to tell me when I was young and wanted something "Son, I take care of your needs, not your wants, you take care of those"
    08-04-09 06:21 PM
    See I would not mind upgrading every year if I get the discount that comes along with it. I used to upgrade every time a new hand held came out when I first had a cell phone in college 13 years ago. ATT used to be great about it back then. They would give you any handheld you wanted at the discount price even after only a month or two into your contract. The catch was that the moment you purchases the device your contract renewed automatically then for another year. (back then they had yearly contracts.) See that was cool. It was a win win situation for both parties. I got my phone at a deep discount and they sealed me in for another year of service from that moment.
    08-04-09 06:52 PM
    OMG, How long has it been? I had the "original" .......and the smaller one
    LOL My first phone was the motorola teletac. That was like a brick. I then moved on to the startac. LOL ahhh the memories. LOL
    08-04-09 06:56 PM
    I like getting new devices just as much as the next person, but I have to be real with myself. Can I really afford to pay $300 for a new device because the phone has a sligtly better screen resolution (so slight that I can't tell the difference) and a camera that it slightly better when taking pictures is the feature I use the least? I can't do that. Nothing really changes for me if I upgrade from the Bold to the Onyx. I'm going o have the same features, the same performance, the same apps, and the same amount of interest. If you have the means to upgrade when you feel the urge to do so, then have at it. But I will still maintain that the phones are not decidedly better after only a year. If you want a significant upgrade, you will have to wait at least two years after the phone has been released.

08-04-09 07:02 PM
    I feel that way when my Fiance gets a new Coach purse, which seems to be every other month to me, and they're just as expensive, if not more than a BlackBerry.
    I don't think there's anything in the Coach store that's cheaper than a BB, even with the BB at full retail. Most purse-snatchings used to be for the contents... Now the purse is the $$$.
    08-04-09 07:06 PM
    The worst thing about wanting to upgrade if you have a phone with a Canadian carrier though, is the fact that we have 3-year contracts, so we have to be locked into our phone for a full year longer than just about any other cellular company in the world, and we still pay the same amount that everyone else does, except everywhere else, it's 2-year pricing. Even worse is that we generally don't get access to the full 3-year pricing bonus again until we're 6 months from the end of our contract, meaning we have to wait 2 1/2 years from our initial signing date to upgrade, or pay a small fortune to do so otherwise.
    It's really a huge pain, but it sure discourages me from wanting to upgrade more than once every two years.
    08-04-09 07:11 PM
    I like getting new devices just as much as the next person, but I have to be real with myself. Can I really afford to pay $300 for a new device because the phone has a sligtly better screen resolution (so slight that I can't tell the difference) and a camera that it slightly better when taking pictures is the feature I use the least?
    $300-500 minus what you can sell the old phone for, which is usually a couple to a few hundred dollars anyways.

It costs a lot up front, but after selling the old device the upgrade isn't nearly as expensive as it looks. Not to mention if you use any rebates or find deals on the new phone (which exist these days for practically any phone out there most of the time in the range of 8-25% off retail price), the margin of difference gets even smaller.

Say you paid $100 for your Curve 8330 with upgrade pricing + rebate. Then down the road you buy a Bold used for $300-350. Curve can sell for what, $200 maybe? You didn't eat much for that upgrade considering tech stuff prices don't hold value for crap and it was a more expensive device to begin with...
    Last edited by papped; 08-04-09 at 07:17 PM.
    08-04-09 07:12 PM
    Sure, you can sell your phone and make up the difference, but it still doesn't erase the fact that the phone you are upgrading to isn't worth the trouble. All of that for a better a slightly better camera? Don't think I will be doing that.

08-04-09 07:17 PM
    Sure, you can sell your phone and make up the difference, but it still doesn't erase the fact that the phone you are upgrading to isn't worth the trouble. All of that for a better a slightly better camera? Don't think I will be doing that.

I guess if you personally consider selling something trouble. It's not really that hard and people do it all the time though. Not like it's a major time investment.

Ideally if you purchase a phone with a 2 year upgrade pricing you would end up selling the old phone to maximize your return anyways...
    Last edited by papped; 08-04-09 at 07:21 PM.
    08-04-09 07:18 PM
    Take it 1 step further... The longer you hold on to your current phone the more the value degrades.

That means if you can get a deal now on a new phone that is cheaper or similar to not having that deal later on, you get more money for your current phone.

The typical response is that new phone values degrade fast anyways as well... Not quite that simple though. Say you hold on to your Bold for a while and the Onyx drops. Do you think your Bold value will decline slower than a new device that you want will? Probably not... New devices have a decent cushion before price drops start as well, unless they sell very poorly.
    Last edited by papped; 08-04-09 at 07:26 PM.
    08-04-09 07:24 PM
    To be honest with you, I give my old phones to my wife. I never sell my phone. My wife is about two years behind the curve when it comes to smartphones. She just started using the BB messenger on the old Curve I gave her last year. So things work out pretty well for me in that way.

08-04-09 07:32 PM
    The OP is putting a natural advancement of technology in perspective for some. Its the same with my laptop. I had a two year old toshiba that was recently replaced with a new HP and there is a load of difference because standards change every year. The thing with storm two is that it will probably be more consumer friendly compared to storm 1 where a lot of folks had to go to crackberry to love their phones. The storm two will be what everyone wanted in storm one. The animosity surrounding the storm 1 will dissipate as people move on to the device that should have been what everyone wanted.
    08-04-09 08:12 PM
    Not to mention wifi, which for some people is a huge difference. A lot of people didn't buy the Storm 1 because it lacked wifi.
    08-04-09 08:16 PM
    Not to mention wifi, which for some people is a huge difference. A lot of people didn't buy the Storm 1 because it lacked wifi.
    Yup yup yup!
    08-04-09 08:27 PM
    Lol. That is true. The new Storm should have wifi and that would be great! You guys keep upgrading. I will continue to read your posts regarding how you new devices are no better than the ones you bought last year, followed by your posts about how you are salivating for the next BB that is rumored to be releaded late 2010. Cheers!

08-05-09 09:50 AM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD