I thought the Torch was fine, I guess I'm the only one. When I went in store asking about upgrading, the sales rep was telling me it was the most complained about device on contract.
    12-05-12 05:01 AM
    Sliders may feel good. But as far as its entirety goes, this kind of model needs a rest for a while. RIM has produced far too much of it to really confuse the product line. One keyboard model and one touch model is enough.
    I disagree. There is no reason for RIM to not make a slider if demand is there. Once they have the L and N series released they might as well fill it in with a slider.
    12-05-12 05:58 AM
    I thought the Torch was fine, I guess I'm the only one. When I went in store asking about upgrading, the sales rep was telling me it was the most complained about device on contract.
    I love my Torch and the only time I complained was the very first time I had to do a battery pull (I was slightly confused). Never complained again.
    12-05-12 05:59 AM
    I agree that RIM just needs to get BB10 on two solid phones out there and start to recover before they consider other models. I feel torn between L or N series and want to know what the Alpha users think. I have a PlayBook, and never miss the trackpad or want a physical keyboard (much). But when I think of having a phone without those things I wonder what I will think.
    12-05-12 07:08 AM
    ... because I will buy it over the L or N series if it is made...

That's why
    12-05-12 04:23 PM
    ... because I will buy it over the L or N series if it is made...

That's why
    And thats why if there are customers RIM should make it. They could even make it a more expensive phone and make a little more money, if they so choose.
    12-06-12 06:32 AM
    I have had a 9800 Torch since very soon after the release date and still love it. I was really excited when I saw images of the Milan on the net. I hope there will soon be mention of a slider being released or I may find myself looking at other manufacturers. Can anyone clarify whether a slider is somewhere on the horizon?
    12-16-12 08:11 AM
    I have had a 9800 Torch since very soon after the release date and still love it. I was really excited when I saw images of the Milan on the net. I hope there will soon be mention of a slider being released or I may find myself looking at other manufacturers. Can anyone clarify whether a slider is somewhere on the horizon?
    There have been zero leaks whatsoever about a bb10 slider and most seem to think it is more than a year away while Rim concentrates on the more important form factors of all-touch and qwerty.
    12-16-12 08:28 AM
    I love the Torch 9810 and slider form. I want a slider to get the best of BlackBerry 10 touchscreen (larger screen size, 16:9 or similar screen) without giving up the keyboard. Petty concerns such as weight and thickness are not issues to me. Please make me a heavy duty, fast, powerful BlackBerry 10 slider RIM!
    I've been waiting and looking forward to a full touch screen, even though Rim has an awsome keyboard, but the idea of a full screen with a slider keyboard would be the best of both worlds.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-16-12 09:07 AM
    Count me as a portrait slider fan. I'll get the L but will miss the keyboard and track pad. I also like sliding open when talking. Speaker to mic distance is better.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-16-12 12:30 PM
    I will get the L, and the N, and the slider when it comes out. I really want a slider though. The form factor and flexibility to me is the right combo. I don't care for thinness. I am surprised that people care about that - the chunkiness of my BB9810 suits me just fine. Too thin is no good either - my mom's SG3 feels like you can snap it in half.
    12-16-12 02:45 PM
    I will get the L, and the N, and the slider when it comes out. I really want a slider though. The form factor and flexibility to me is the right combo. I don't care for thinness. I am surprised that people care about that - the chunkiness of my BB9810 suits me just fine. Too thin is no good either - my mom's SG3 feels like you can snap it in half.
    Sadly, the market seems to be enthralled by the idea of ever thinner phones even when it comes at the expense of battery life.

I am quite glad that the l-series seems to be a similar sort of thickness to a 9900 rather than chasing to be the thinnest option out there as like you I find some of the new ones too thin to be comfortable in your hand.
    12-16-12 03:30 PM
    RIM has to take into acount the obsession with thin and slim. A Brick will not float on the market. Closest to my ideal phone is a Note 2 with a 6400 mAh Mugen battery. A BlackBerry slider with a bIg screen(4.6" atleast or 4.8") would be ideal with optional heavy duty battery.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    12-16-12 04:51 PM
    I hope they continue to make sliders. I wouldn't mind seeing a landscape slider with a nice big screen. Say 8"s.
    12-16-12 09:22 PM
    Again, sliders are more expensive to design, harder to produce, and have a multitude of things that can go wrong. A slider version of the L-series would likely have to carry a 40% premium over the full-touch version to make it worth RIM'S while.

And the new software keyboard is honestly so good that it will win over many potential slider users. Really.
    djdragon likes this.
    12-16-12 09:35 PM
    Again, sliders are more expensive to design, harder to produce, and have a multitude of things that can go wrong. A slider version of the L-series would likely have to carry a 40% premium over the full-touch version to make it worth RIM'S while.

And the new software keyboard is honestly so good that it will win over many potential slider users. Really.

Watch this at the 2:10 mark (or watch full video, its very good). "The Engadget Show: Inside the mind of designer Philippe S..." - Videos - Viddler

What Starck says rings true.
    12-16-12 11:13 PM
    I love my 9800 and cant see myself going to anything with a smaller screen. When I upgraded over two years ago the 9800 was fairly new with a bigger screen and a full keyboard, the best of both worlds and I really hope I can have a slider BB10 phone. I have not yet tried a os7 device, since they have a smaller screen and the 9810 looked very similar to the 9800 so I didn't want to spend money for just that.
    A big touch screen and full keyboard is my dream device
    12-16-12 11:29 PM
    Watch this at the 2:10 mark (or watch full video, its very good). "The Engadget Show: Inside the mind of designer Philippe S..." - Videos - Viddler

What Starck says rings true.
    Absolutely. Physical mechanism is a step backwards. It adds weight and complexity.

Now, if I needed a touch keyboard, I'd just go with an N-series. Yes, I'd lose some screen real estate, but with a sufficiently sharp display, that may not be an issue.

The market for a slider is this: a user who NEEDS a full screen size and NEEDS a physical keyboard, and NEEDS both of them enough that they are willing to compromise on weight and willing to accept considerably higher potential for breakage (both because of the added weight and potential mechanism breakage in the event of a fall). Oh, and they must also be willing to pay more.

The thing is, with BB10 this market will shrink. The virtual keyboard is honestly good enough that a great many potential slider buyers will say "hmmm, this is good enough, AND I get a lighter phone to boot".

The new keyboard will honestly convert many (no, not all) users who currently HATE virtual keyboards. It may actually be good enough to pull over iPhone users just on its own merits.
    12-17-12 12:37 AM
    RIM is targeting the huge all touch market with the L, and catering to the largest current BlackBerry base with the N. They are trying to make the typing experience on the L so good that they get people to abandon the QWERTY IMHO, which will further consolidate the product offering.
    I think this is key. If the touch typing experience is as good as RIM is striving for, slider users might just use the virtual keyboard the majority of the time, seldom making use of the slide-out keyboard. And for the physical keyboard fans, like others mentioned, they probably will want that keyboard accessible all the time.
    12-17-12 07:27 AM
    If RIM actually manufactured the Blade, I would absolutely jump on it.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Mecca EL and stick_slinger like this.
    12-17-12 07:46 AM
    If RIM actually manufactured the Blade, I would absolutely jump on it.
    The blade is clearly not in the slightest way feasible to make as a real product and I wish people would stop bringing up it or similar designs until the designer at least makes a slight effort to make his designs even slightly possible.
    12-17-12 10:17 AM
    My fav phone was the Palm Pre, and I think the portrait qwerty slide-out had a lot to do with it. There was a certain pleasure to holding it and operating it. It Blackberry made one, I would buy it.
    12-17-12 10:35 AM
    Absolutely. Physical mechanism is a step backwards. It adds weight and complexity.

Now, if I needed a touch keyboard, I'd just go with an N-series. Yes, I'd lose some screen real estate, but with a sufficiently sharp display, that may not be an issue.

The market for a slider is this: a user who NEEDS a full screen size and NEEDS a physical keyboard, and NEEDS both of them enough that they are willing to compromise on weight and willing to accept considerably higher potential for breakage (both because of the added weight and potential mechanism breakage in the event of a fall). Oh, and they must also be willing to pay more.

The thing is, with BB10 this market will shrink. The virtual keyboard is honestly good enough that a great many potential slider buyers will say "hmmm, this is good enough, AND I get a lighter phone to boot".

The new keyboard will honestly convert many (no, not all) users who currently HATE virtual keyboards. It may actually be good enough to pull over iPhone users just on its own merits.
    And I fit that demographic exactly. A virtual keyboard is not an option in my work. I'm outside, in hostile weather, working on industrial jobsites and entering in long strings of communication command information to remote telecommunications gear. No virtual keyboard shortcuts work for this, the physical keyboard is the way to go, especially with working in cold weather with cold hands and smudged touchscreens.

I also have never liked the traditional BB Bold/Curve design with a keyboard taking up half the phone face. I have becomed extremely used to a full touch screen with a sliding keyboard.

As for the build quality, my 9810 has had severe abuse from dropping in snow (several times), being left in a frozen service truck several times, dropped, kicked, sat on, etc. The slider mechanism works fine, the phone works fine, the speaker is getting a little crackly, but still functions after all this abuse. They are a tough design.

Honestly, if BB is phasing out a slider design, I will be looking at other phones that have this. It was the only reason I considered BlackBerry in the first place.
    Last edited by vorpalz; 12-17-12 at 12:52 PM.
    Mecca EL and flyingsolid like this.
    12-17-12 11:34 AM

this is true, but Rim is also the company that came out with the Porshe and that sold for how much
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-17-12 11:35 AM
    The blade is clearly not in the slightest way feasible to make as a real product and I wish people would stop bringing up it or similar designs until the designer at least makes a slight effort to make his designs even slightly possible.

Which is the reason I said "If Rim actually manufactured", since I am well aware that it was not a RIM design and I'm well aware that concepts and prototypes are ideas to launch from and not actualised products.
    I liked the design, therefore I mentioned it.
    stick_slinger likes this.
    12-17-12 12:05 PM
101 1234 ...