Why do we hardly ever get the cool third party APPS like HBOGO or MAXGO I hear there are over ten million blackberry phone users in north America alone. How about some love from the likes of netflixs HBO and others. Do I have to wait over a year like I did for espn radio app which by the way is unavailable for OS7.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-11 02:23 PM
    Because RIM is trying to go out of business.
    10-11-11 02:26 PM
    Is RIM dying?
    10-11-11 02:38 PM
    HBOGo is a great app. With these iPhones, there's an app for almost anything. I had a Blackberry so I understand the frustration

Last edited by zwoof; 10-11-11 at 03:16 PM.
    10-11-11 03:11 PM
    It's simple: Apple sells. Droid sells. BB does not sell. Out of the 30 people in my office, all but 3 have cell phones. Probably 20 of them have iPhones. I have a BB as does one other person. The rest are either Droid or I think a few have Nokias.

If the OP is correct and there are 10 million BB users in North America, remember there were one million iPhone4S preorders in 24 hours You do the math.
    10-11-11 03:28 PM
    It's simple: Apple sells. Droid sells. BB does not sell. Out of the 30 people in my office, all but 3 have cell phones. Probably 20 of them have iPhones. I have a BB as does one other person. The rest are either Droid or I think a few have Nokias.

If the OP is correct and there are 10 million BB users in North America, remember there were one million iPhone4S preorders in 24 hours You do the math.
    In your opion its ok to ignore ten million potential customers. There 70 million BB phone owners worldwide it is not like there is not a substantial base therefore that is not a valid argument.

10-11-11 09:48 PM
    In your opion its ok to ignore ten million potential customers. There 70 million BB phone owners worldwide it is not like there is not a substantial base therefore that is not a valid argument.

It is when you're trying to make money. You don't spend money developing apps for a few million people when you can spend the same amount and market it for Droid and iOS and roll in the dough. It's economics 101.

10-11-11 10:51 PM
    It is when you're trying to make money. You don't spend money developing apps for a few million people when you can spend the same amount and market it for Droid and iOS and roll in the dough. It's economics 101.

No. Economics 101 would suggest developing apps for the top three or four OS platforms and cover the whole market. App developers will not lose money developing for BB. Another thread quoted stats showing developers stand to make more money developing for BB than any of the other os. Apple's app store is flooded. Apps get lost in the crowd.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-11-11 11:14 PM
    ...but they are not developing for BB.

Cold is right. Contrary to popular opinion, Oliver Stone is not making a movie about the conspiracy to bring RIM down. Developers do not see BB as a platform worth the effort. It seemingly is not worth the investment, or, at best, is a distant third.

It could be that RIM makes the process too difficult. It could be that fragmentation is an issue. It could be that consumers are not buying apps.

Or... a combination of all three. Either way, it's all about supply and demand.
    10-11-11 11:26 PM
    I like how all sort of these conspiracy theories spin out.

The reason why these apps are not available is because RIM wants the HD version of movies --- which in turn requires DRM and certification.

HBOGO, MAXGO and Netflix are not even available on Honeycomb.
    10-12-11 01:01 AM
    I think that many starting app developers are choosing the other platform because it's much more easy to go with.. also people develop what they are using and there is much more Android / iOS users.

Things are not easy right now but i think that RIM is fighting back and i hope to see them bringing new stuff to the market.
    10-12-11 02:32 AM
    Is RIM dying?
    No.

10-12-11 04:49 AM
    I think if RIM started marketing and carriers would promote their devices more you'd see developers start to flock toward bb's. Perception is reality and the perception is RIM is not a player. Developers are normal people too that read and hear what the rest of us do.

10-12-11 05:29 AM
    It's either that people aren't willing to buy the apps (probably not the most likely scenario) or that the cost of developing and supporting apps for BlackBerry is so high that it isn't worth the money you make because they almost offset each other. Lots of money is not the same thing as lots of revenue. When it comes to opportunities for making money, people don't stay away because they're playing favorites. There is a logical reason.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-12-11 06:24 AM
    Statistically speaking, iPhone and Android users are also more likely to download, buy and use apps. I forget where I read the study, but there was an interesting study concerning this.

iPhone users are in first place regarding this, followed by Android users. BB-users were on a distant third when it comes to buying and using apps.

Developers don't ignore BB on purpose, but apparently it doesn't make economic sense for them to develop for BB. If there really WAS 10 million "potential" customers, they'd develop for BB, but there isn't. BB developing is more costly and complicated than developing for iOS or Android, and on top of the lower number of users, it just doesn't make financial sense for many of them.
    (This is probably why BB apps are usually more expensive, and why there are many more free apps on the other platforms)
    10-12-11 08:16 AM
    ...but they are not developing for BB.

Cold is right. Contrary to popular opinion, Oliver Stone is not making a movie about the conspiracy to bring RIM down. Developers do not see BB as a platform worth the effort. It seemingly is not worth the investment, or, at best, is a distant third.

[snip] Either way, it's all about supply and demand.
    Which is my point. The demand is on iOS and on Android. The developers will supply that demand to satisfy the masses and make the money.

No. Economics 101 would suggest developing apps for the top three or four OS platforms and cover the whole market. App developers will not lose money developing for BB. Another thread quoted stats showing developers stand to make more money developing for BB than any of the other os. Apple's app store is flooded. Apps get lost in the crowd.
    Apps may get lost in the crowd, but the proint that you're missing is that developers are in it to make money. I'm no economics major, but I do know that it probably costs a substantial amount of money to develop, market, beta test then finally release a new app. If you've got 10 million subscribers, I'd venture to guess maybe a tenth of those will actually buy the app. Not every single one of the RIM users will buy an app, just like not every single iOS or Droid user will buy a particular app. You can't spend valuable resources and money to develop an app such as Angry Birds for example only to have it flop on a platform that isn't worth it (RIM). However, on a platform where it is worth it like iOS and Droid, it's both profitable and sound. So to answer your question, yeah, they will lose money developing apps for RIM if no one buys them. The subscriber base just isn't there to worry about developing apps.

My bank released an iOS/Droid app. Celine Dion has an iOS/Droid app. Rockapella has an iOS/Droid app. The San Jose Sharks have a ton of iOS/Droid apps, but not one single app mentioned above is available for BB. App developers stick with what sells and iOS sells.

I think if RIM started marketing and carriers would promote their devices more you'd see developers start to flock toward bb's. Perception is reality and the perception is RIM is not a player. Developers are normal people too that read and hear what the rest of us do.

I don't think the best marketing ploy in the world would help at this point in time. RIM needs something to wow the masses, and yeah the OS7 devices are great, but they are out performed in every single statistic by the iPhone4S and the Droid devices. Better camera, dual core processors, better internal workings. Until RIM has a phone that can compete with iPhone, they'd do better spending all their time rearranging deck chairs on a sinking ship.

Carriers like Verizon and AT&T promote what sells. When I switched from Sprint to Verizon the first of this year, I had the sales girl who is a friend of mine pushing Droid down my throat. They had to special order my S2 from another store. The only BBs available in the Memphis area were a few Curves and I think one or two 9650s. No one stocks them because no one wants them.
    10-12-11 08:30 AM
    You people are nuts.

As I said it before --- NONE of the apps that the OP ranted about is available on Honeycomb either.
    10-12-11 11:14 AM
    I think there is way more to it then reward Vs effort on the development front.

If you look at Windows Phone, anyone will tell you sales have been poor, only out a year, yet their app store is larger than Blackberry's with key apps such as Netflix. This says to me that RIM is the real problem here when it comes to what is missing, they could make it happen if they wanted to but they don't seam to know how.
    10-12-11 11:25 AM
    Netflix is a special case because Netflix uses Microsoft's DRM for their system.
    10-12-11 11:44 AM
    BBOS is simply not a viable platform for developers. Shrinking market share, lack of quality devices and stagnant development turn away developers to other more profitable platforms.

BTW Blackberry wasn't even mentioned as a competitor on last weeks Apple keynote, that says a lot about the platform as a whole.
    10-12-11 12:13 PM
    I think there is way more to it then reward Vs effort on the development front.

If you look at Windows Phone, anyone will tell you sales have been poor, only out a year, yet their app store is larger than Blackberry's with key apps such as Netflix. This says to me that RIM is the real problem here when it comes to what is missing, they could make it happen if they wanted to but they don't seam to know how.
    I don't disagree with you.
    10-12-11 12:38 PM
    You people are nuts.

As I said it before --- NONE of the apps that the OP ranted about is available on Honeycomb either.
    Honeycomb is a tablet OS for android. It works just fine on my dx2 gingerbread phone. Over 3g and even better on wifi. I believe the op was talking about phones so......

10-12-11 07:21 PM
    Why do you think RIM is going to QNX? To get rid of most of the fragmentation. Developers know they are doing this so I think they are staying away from the current phones. Will they come when QNX is on both the playbook and phones? Who knows.
    10-12-11 08:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD