Might be a silly question but... I am wondering why we are not abled to install say the official OS6 for the 9650 to say, the 9700. They are both BBs from the same company. Is the reason a software or hardware or... both, related one? Just wanna know on a technical level.
    12-24-10 05:32 PM
    They are different devices, and the OS will not work from one to the other. 9530 Storm and 9550 Storm 2 are both Storms, but the OS is not interchangeable.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    12-24-10 05:36 PM
    They are different devices, and the OS will not work from one to the other. 9530 Storm and 9550 Storm 2 are both Storms, but the OS is not interchangeable.
    Wow man... really? I know this already, OF COURSE! I am looking for a SPECIFIC answer. I can tell the difference between models and numbers myself you know...
    12-24-10 06:02 PM
    Its most likely due to the different processor and components from BB model to BB model and maybe even the ROM thats on the BB that you can't change. At least thats what I believe
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    12-24-10 06:07 PM
    I have no idea why you decided to be rude to the previous poster but the answer
    as was stated is that they are not interchangeable. All OS are designed and coded
    to be device specific. Nothing can change or alter that and there is nothing by way
    of workarounds that would make it possible to load an ENTIRE OS for one device
    on a device that it was not coded for.

The best you can do, which is what hybriders do, is take specific files from other
    OSs and cobble them into some sort of "Franken-OS." The core of the OS however
    is untouchable, per se.
    12-24-10 06:12 PM
    Guys, grow up. I was not rude to anyone, more like "sarcastic".

I can't stand it when someone (and there are people in here who do this too much IMO) replies with obvious statements, just for the sake of replying or adding to their post count. I don't have anything against Heavy Fluid, but telling me "because they are different, and that's it", after what I asked... is pretty silly and useless, no offense intended, just being me.

Alright, sooooooo.... just like I thought, they make the OS to work specifically for each processor, and they build the core of the OS to be "unchangeable". I am still wondering how it really works but I guess I'll have to ask RIM's techs.

PS: Heavy Fluid, I love you....
    12-24-10 06:44 PM
    The 9650 uses a Qualcomm processor made for CDMA networks. The processor includes OpenGL video processing within the chipset.

The 9700 uses a completely different processor for GSM networks. It does not have the graphics chip built into the processor, and has support for additional processing.

So, the two devices have completely different hardware setups. The CDMA OS is set to include OpenGL commands, while the GSM system can process sound (there are guitar tuner apps for GSM that won't work on CDMA devices). The OS has to have different files to handle the different hardware.
    12-24-10 07:21 PM
    The 9650 uses a Qualcomm processor made for CDMA networks. The processor includes OpenGL video processing within the chipset.

The 9700 uses a completely different processor for GSM networks. It does not have the graphics chip built into the processor, and has support for additional processing.

So, the two devices have completely different hardware setups. The CDMA OS is set to include OpenGL commands, while the GSM system can process sound (there are guitar tuner apps for GSM that won't work on CDMA devices). The OS has to have different files to handle the different hardware.
    I know, I realized too late that I didn't post two GSM phones.
    Thanks for the answer.
    12-24-10 07:28 PM

DA you beat me to it! I was going to say that... Just not so specifically!

I would assume that some files may be quite similar, if not interchangeable, not with concern to the hardware aspect of the OS programming, but with concern to the UI. I would think that the theme programming would be interchangeable between all models that share a specific OS, and display size. For instance, in the theme forum, you can load themes built for a 9700 onto a 9650, as long as you're running 5.0 on the device, and that the theme is built for 5.0.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-10 12:06 AM
    DA you beat me to it! I was going to say that... Just not so specifically!

I would assume that some files may be quite similar, if not interchangeable, not with concern to the hardware aspect of the OS programming, but with concern to the UI. I would think that the theme programming would be interchangeable between all models that share a specific OS, and display size. For instance, in the theme forum, you can load themes built for a 9700 onto a 9650, as long as you're running 5.0 on the device, and that the theme is built for 5.0.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    themes, if im not mistaken, only require the right OS and screen resolution. two different devices that both have the same screen size and running the same OS version can run the same theme. its not specially coded for specific devices.
    12-25-10 02:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD