I am using android phone. I have recently subscribed for the Blackberry Hub+Services. I am comparatively new to the Blackberry. I have following questions in my mind
    1) Why should I used paid apps of blackberry like Calendar, contacts, notes , tasks , and device search while similar apps are available at free of cost from reputed app makers like google.
    04-20-18 09:47 AM
    1) Why should I used paid apps of blackberry like Calendar, contacts, notes , tasks , and device search while similar apps are available at free of cost from reputed app makers like google.
    You shouldn't, unless you find them useful over what the others offer you. For a lot of folks here, it's the fact those apps come preloaded and they're familiar with them and how they work. Most here aren't paying for them as you are. It's all about the choice. Some folks don't like the other apps or don't trust the other apps with their info, etc.
    Mecca EL and skinnymike1 like this.
    04-20-18 09:55 AM
    Thank you. I understand what you are trying to say. But can you please help to find out extra features blackberry have in the above mentioned apps
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-20-18 10:06 AM
    Any features they have that other apps don't have will depend on which particular app you compare it against. The features they do have are listed on Google Play Store. I think with some apps e.g. Calendar, there is a limit to how many features you can offer that can be considered useful. As Blaize said, it's really down to personal preference, what people are familiar with and the fact that anyone with a BlackBerry Android phone will automatically get them free. Some other phones have equivalent apps supplied automatically with them too. Personally a built in app would have to really suck for me to warrant paying for an alternative.

---={////]--[ Dispensed on my BlackBerry Passport 
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-20-18 12:38 PM
    I must say hub for me is the best all-in-one email and messaging app I've experienced... being able to customise work vs personal is good too with colour and notification co-ordination for different accounts. this is having gone from the usual Gmail / outlook / Sony default email apps.
    04-20-18 04:55 PM
    I have to agree with mikeath. The Blackberry Hub is the best all in one. If you don't want a monthly fee for the HUB + Services, get a BlackBerry based device like the all touch Motion.
    Rico4you and skinnymike1 like this.
    04-20-18 06:04 PM
    The Hub is the main selling point, if you're paying for that and investing in the BlackBerry ecosystem you might as well get the most for your money by using the other apps in the subscription.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-20-18 11:31 PM
    Personal preference, but everything sync's so well together. It's hard to have something else after you have been using the hub for so long.
    Bfalcon1, skinnymike1 and Rico4you like this.
    04-21-18 08:41 AM
    Thank you. I understand what you are trying to say. But can you please help to find out extra features blackberry have in the above mentioned apps
    There is a pretty good description here:
    https://ca.blackberry.com/smartphone...berry-hub-plus
    For comparisons you really need to do that yourself. Thankfully it's free and easy to test out all kinds apps on Android. Some people prefer the solutions provided by the OEM and integrated into their OS build, such as Samsung. I'm not aware of any detailed reviews that have been done of the Suite, particularly comparing to other similar apps. But it is a good quality suite of apps and great value for the money, IMHO.

For myself, the Suite is nice way to keep the BlackBerry experience going on a non-BlackBerry device, albeit temporarily, at least until a better real BlackBerry comes along. The suite also seems to install itself onto a 'secure compound' on the device, similar to Samsung Knox...and uses the BlackBerry push service for email. The Password keeper uses BlackBerry encryption to protect your information and backs up securely on the cloud. Lastly, the Launcher has some useful features such as dark mode, re-sizing icons, and the option to place pages(s) to the left of the Android home screen, which other launchers such as Pixel launcher do not allow because they have that space reserved exclusively for the Google app.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-21-18 09:52 AM
    There is a pretty good description here:
    https://ca.blackberry.com/smartphone...berry-hub-plus
    For comparisons you really need to do that yourself. Thankfully it's free and easy to test out all kinds apps on Android. Some people prefer the solutions provided by the OEM and integrated into their OS build, such as Samsung. I'm not aware of any detailed reviews that have been done of the Suite, particularly comparing to other similar apps. But it is a good quality suite is apps and great value for the money, IMHO.

For myself, the Suite is nice way to keep the BlackBerry experience going on a non-BlackBerry device, albeit temporarily, at least until a better real BlackBerry comes along. The suite also seems to install itself onto a 'secure compound' on the device, similar to Samsung Knox...and uses the BlackBerry push service for email. The Password keeper uses BlackBerry encryption to protect your information and backs up securely on the cloud. Lastly, the Launcher has some useful features such as dark mode, re-sizing icons, and the option to place pages(s) to the left of the Android home screen, which other launchers such as Pixel launcher do not allow because they have that space reserved exclusively for the Google app.
    What is this blackberry push service? I don't think it's what you think it is.
    04-21-18 09:58 AM
    What is this blackberry push service? I don't think it's what you think it is.
    Two things I have noticed...there is a 'RIM' inserted into the email server settings automatically by the HUB. I am assuming that does something useful (perhaps I am being overly optimistic) and harnessing BlackBerry's servers in some way, although admittedly I'm not exactly sure what the technical reason is behind it. Secondly the HUB has an option to more aggressively check for email which is obviously doing something related to pushing messages at the system level.

Perhaps calling it 'BlackBerry push service' is not technically correct (not sure what to call it, perhaps you have a better suggestion) but it is clearly doing things a little bit differently than a standard Android app in this regard.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-21-18 10:06 AM
    Two things I have noticed...there is a 'RIM' inserted into the email server settings automatically by the HUB. I am assuming that does something useful (perhaps I am being overly optimistic) and harnessing BlackBerry's servers in some way, although admittedly I'm not exactly sure what the technical reason is behind it. Secondly the HUB has an option to more aggressively check for email which is obviously doing something related to pushing messages at the system level.

Perhaps calling it 'BlackBerry push service' is not technically correct (not sure what to call it, perhaps you have a better suggestion) but it is clearly doing things a little bit differently than a standard Android app in this regard.
    I'm not sure that there is anything that blackberry does different since BBOS days. I think BB10 does nothing different for email than any other OS. Or BB android.

Could be wrong.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 04-21-18 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Auto
    04-21-18 11:56 AM
    I'm not sure that there is anything that blackberry does different since BBOS days. I think BB10 does nothing different for email than any other OS. Or BB android.

Could be wrong.
    BB10 treats data and email like Android/IOS/WP
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-21-18 12:22 PM
    Personal preference, but everything sync's so well together. It's hard to have something else after you have been using the hub for so long.
    Exactly! For me the HUB is like a Swiss army knife... all the utilities in one place with all the apps! Perfectly synchronized.
    skinnymike1 and qwerty4ever like this.
    04-21-18 12:29 PM

Could be wrong.
    Just to be clear, in this thread we are talking about the Android BlackBerry apps / HUB, not the BB10 version, or even comparing it to the BB10 version for that matter...
    04-21-18 01:12 PM
    Just to be clear, in this thread we are talking about the Android BlackBerry apps / HUB, not the BB10 version, or even comparing it to the BB10 version for that matter...
    Yes I know. To be clear I'm refuting your statement about blackberry hub app doing anything different for push email than any other android email app or iOS email app etc.
    04-21-18 01:28 PM
    Yes I know. To be clear I'm refuting your statement about blackberry hub app doing anything different for push email than any other android email app or iOS email app etc.
    OK. Well, I outlined two things BlackBerry HUB on Android does differently. What are you saying other than refuting it? Are you saying that every other email client puts "RIM" in front of the email server settings when you set up a new account, or that every other email client has an option to help receive emails quicker? Lol. Maybe you should consider not "refuting things" unless you actually have something meaningful to contribute to the conversation.
    04-21-18 01:51 PM
    All I'm saying is that hub/blackberry has no special sauce to push email anymore. Putting Rim in there, wherever I'd probably just that, the word Rim.

Show me what blackberry does different to push email faster.

Even a most trusted member states the same in this thread.

/blackberry-keyone-f445/blackberry-services-features-i-may-missing-1141169/
    04-21-18 02:08 PM
    All I'm saying is that hub/blackberry has no special sauce to push email anymore. Putting Rim in there, wherever I'd probably just that, the word Rim.

Show me what blackberry does different to push email faster.

Even a most trusted member states the same in this thread.

/blackberry-keyone-f445/blackberry-services-features-i-may-missing-1141169/
    That's a question for the people who code the app. All I am pointing out is the differences are there. Obviously you don't believe they do anything. So what? The onus is not on me to prove you wrong. I'm not the one who coded the app. But those differences do exist nonetheless.

If your response to the OP is the BlackBerry does nothing any different in how it handles email (and I already outlined at least three ways (the secure compound for the app data is the third), then perhaps you are the one who should be providing the evidence? Good luck with that. And please make it thorough, because I want to see how the RIM server settings, faster email checking option, and secure storage off app data can be activated and used on all email clients from any OS and on any device. Lol.
    04-21-18 02:31 PM
    NP, I just don't like anyone lead to believe something that isn't true. If it is true so be it.

Unless of course you are on a BES or whatever corporate account.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-21-18 02:38 PM
    Maybe a question for ask Bla1ze

/ask-question-f432/what-does-hub-do-different-push-email-1141175/
    Last edited by kbz1960; 04-21-18 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Add link
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-21-18 02:43 PM
    It's possible the Push service could be used for notifications. Many Android apps use GCM because it's free but developers can roll their own push system if needed.

The Hub devs are active on the forums so I'm sure you can just ask them.
    04-21-18 03:20 PM

I don't know where you see "RIM", but I don't have that in any of my server settings. And I have three email accounts set up - work Exchange account, personal outlook.com exchange account and personal IMAP account.

All entries still say just what I originally entered in the server settings.

It does nothing any different than any other email client app in that regard.

As for the the extra checking. That's just app specific and stays on the phone. I honestly found no difference and leave that off. My phone still gets my work email about 10 seconds before my work PC gets them.
    04-21-18 03:23 PM
    I don't know where you see "RIM", but I don't have that in any of my server settings. And I have three email accounts set up - work Exchange account, personal outlook.com exchange account and personal IMAP account.

All entries still say just what I originally entered in the server settings.

It does nothing any different than any other email client app in that regard.

As for the the extra checking. That's just app specific and stays on the phone. I honestly found no difference and leave that off. My phone still gets my work email about 10 seconds before my work PC gets them.
    Could be provider specific. I have it on some accounts and not others when I set up a new account using the auto settings. I actually tried to manually insert 'RIM' at the beginning of the IMAP server addresses that don't have it set that way automatically, and it didn't work.

On the other hand, the option to receive emails faster is definitely a feature in the Android HUB. What it does or doesn't do may be debatable, but it's not an option seen on all email clients and if its not related to pushing email than what exactly is it doing?
    04-21-18 03:33 PM
    This proves nothing because it still doesn't address the differences I cited earlier. The protocols to handle email and the way a specific app is written to deal with them are not the same thing. I am sure those who wrote the app might have more to say about it, but then again that level of detail may be proprietary information.
    04-21-18 03:42 PM
40 12