So back in the Era of OS7 and then BB10 devices,, when people had a q10 or classic with an iphone or Samsung, they used to say that because of the app gap our phones are meant for serious business and not gaming n stuff.

A while ago in an interview when the reporter asked John Chen that why we've to carry an iPhone for social media and gaming while we use a q10 or classic or passport for work.. Is blackberry doing something to get it all in one device and he replied we're working on it.

Now I loved my keyones- silver,black, bronze,, I loved my silver key2 and I love my black key2 which is all fun having it as my daily driver. I never liked the fact that they didn't put a great camera in key2. Now that there's no app gap, every app works fine and you got really nice design in the key series, my question is why they still say that it's made for getting things done and not for gaming and stuff.

I use my key2 for everything,, I'm a professional driver I use GPS apps,, I got Facebook, Instagram,whatsapp. Watch YouTube,, finished entire breaking bad on my keyone. It's perfect, you can play certain games aswell,, so why in freakin hell you'll still advertise you phones as just business oriented,, for IT managers etc. Why can't they put a great camera in a device for taking selfies,photos.. Why not advertise to the general customers as you can whatever the heck you want to on your key2 and not just work? Now I want key3 with 5 or 5.5'inch screen,, fast processor and a great camera as well.
    vcmh likes this.
    01-11-19 12:49 AM
    Phones are not designed/made by BlackBerry Ltd, all of this stuff is licensed to various partners (TCL as BlackBerry Mobile for worldwide-, Optiemus for indian market etc.). BlackBerry Ltd (with John Chen as CEO) develops only software for these phones.

So no. BlackBerry Ltd is not oriented towards end customers. They focus on B2B. Period.
    01-11-19 01:02 AM
    I believe the point the OP is making is why aren't BlackBerry Branded devices not being advertised as all round consumer products and not specifically business oriented products. in the experience of the OP, he is able to use his device for different applications as opposed to just business tasks.

I have to agree with the OP and hopefully the marketing will change at some point however the market is saturated and therefore manufacturers have to find a point of difference to attract customers. Blackberry devices have always been known as "business" devices and that is their point of difference along with the security they offer .....

Blackberry limited as we all know is no longer a hardware manufacturer, they are a software company and as such have a vested interested in ensure that the devices that carry their brand and software are accessible to the general public via their licensing agreements .
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    01-11-19 01:18 AM
    With limited resources, you have to make choices on how to spend your marketing dollars.

BBMo could never go toe-to-toe with the Samsungs, Apples, and Huaweis of the world for general consumer attention.

They focus their efforts on the type of person that would appreciate the keyboard and general productivity slant of the KEYx series - which is the professional and/or business segment.
    01-11-19 07:48 AM
    The simple answer is there are literally dozens of sub £200 phones that wipe the floor with the key series. It's simply not attractive to the masses
    cribble2k likes this.
    01-11-19 03:09 PM
    The simple answer is there are literally dozens of sub £200 phones that wipe the floor with the key series. It's simply not attractive to the masses
    That's an odd way of putting it though. I think my KEY² destroys the Note 9 and iPhone XSmax. It's a matter of what one is looking for in a device.

But I would certainly agree that the mass market just wants a hot piece of glass.
    01-11-19 04:53 PM
    The Key line is niche device not targeted for the masses since it’s PKB and not VKB device. At same time, BB, through it’s history, always been priced mid to upper tier. It’s never been targeted for the poor huddled masses....
    01-11-19 05:28 PM
    At same time, BB, through it’s history, always been priced mid to upper tier. It’s never been targeted for the poor huddled masses....
    Except that BB has a long history of over-producing phones, which led to a LOT of writedowns and fire sales over the years, to the point where everyone now expects a discount after a phone has been out 60 days or so. TCL has really kept that in check, and would rather sell out than be holding the bag on extra inventory, so in that respect, things HAVE changed - and perhaps not in the way that some folks here wanted or are used to.
    elfabio80 and Tim-ANC like this.
    01-11-19 08:05 PM
    At heart they always were business oriented, consumer popularity was a happy accident in the brief window before improved mobile infrastructure obviated the draws of BIS and BBM. It is exceedingly difficult to claw their way back up the consumer popularity hill, especially after the entire 2007-2017 period made the hill a mountain thanks to a consecutive streak of bad decisions and worse luck. Selling to business consumers first and making a handful of unlocked devices to sate the true believers (cf. TCL not drowning in inventory like BB Ltd before them) seems to be working out for them, since this licensing experiment is on the cusp of its third iteration rather than fizzling out shortly after the KEYone.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-11-19 08:37 PM
    OP, when you have limited resources ($), you have to pick the deepest pocket. business user more than willing to fork over cash for key (that is tradition of BB, IT guys, lawyers, professionals that type a lot - however, real estate and medical are defecting to iphone due to iOS eco system). Phone hardware alone didn't make money, you really need something else - google got search ads (pixel), sammy got components, apple got eco-system (service) etc. everyone else for non-integrated product line, as handsets, is on lossing side. If you want chance to earn some living with handset, you want avoid dog fight with masses, select a deep pocket and hold on to it. IMHO.
    01-11-19 11:29 PM
    The Key line is niche device not targeted for the masses since it’s PKB and not VKB device. At same time, BB, through it’s history, always been priced mid to upper tier. It’s never been targeted for the poor huddled masses....
    Really? LOL!

The BB8520 Curve was super cheap, in actual fact down here on South Africa back between 2009-2013 if you wanted a cheap data plan with an affordable phone you went and got some sort of BB Curve, it was a standard for millions of highschool kids and university students.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    01-12-19 04:34 AM
    Really? LOL!

The BB8520 Curve was super cheap, in actual fact down here on South Africa back between 2009-2013 if you wanted a cheap data plan with an affordable phone you went and got some sort of BB Curve, it was a standard for millions of highschool kids and university students.
    And what devices are used now ?
    01-12-19 04:41 AM
    And what devices are used now ?
    If they can get a BB it's an LE version, but they have died out, most use some low end Xiaomi devices.
    01-12-19 05:12 AM
    If they can get a BB it's an LE version, but they have died out, most use some low end Xiaomi devices.
    Therefore Chucks post suggesting that the Key Line of devices is a niche market and not designed or intended for use by everyone makes sense ...
    01-12-19 05:44 AM
    Therefore Chucks post suggesting that the Key Line of devices is a niche market and not designed or intended for use by everyone makes sense ...
    I was wrong, just found the BB KEY2 is available on my network. Pretty decent price for a flagship product, probably the cheapest 6GB RAM 2018 phone one can get.
    01-12-19 05:48 AM
    I was wrong, just found the BB KEY2 is available on my network. Pretty decent price for a flagship product, probably the cheapest 6GB RAM 2018 phone one can get. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5b09e7b9a4.jpg
    When are you ordering it ? 😁
    01-12-19 05:59 AM
    When are you ordering it ?
    The day they put a competitive camera and top end SoC in it.
    01-12-19 10:42 AM
    The day they put a competitive camera and top end SoC in it.
    No doubt when that day arrives there will be another reason not to make the purchase ....
    01-12-19 11:29 AM
    Do not underestimate the masses...they can pay pretty well also.... Here in Europe you see many many people with iPhone and mac....and they are not used for corporative.... For sure BlackBerry has been always linked to business, but today that line it is not enough if you want to try to get some money as company. Just my 2 cents brother!

Posted via CB10
    01-12-19 11:36 AM
    No doubt when that day arrives there will be another reason not to make the purchase ....
    Probably the display size and lack of IP rating

Theres a long list of things that I want, a few OEMs get it right though.

I'd love to see BB go all out and challenge Samsung and Huawei, it would definitely get my full attention.

If BB could build something like the Nokia E90 Communicator but with 2018/2019 top end specs, I'd be in! This is the only type of PKB device I would like again
    Last edited by Tsepz_GP; 01-12-19 at 12:22 PM.
    01-12-19 11:45 AM
    I like that they are business oriented and is exclusively why I use the devices. BBMo understands this and I hope they stay true to the identity. Concentrating on things one does well usually produces the best result. Deviating from that often ends in failure. Just ask Thorsten.
    01-12-19 11:52 AM
    BB, the brand, is only a niche market because of the overwhelming PKB identification. The problem is that for the vast overwhelming masses, the PKB is not a desired feature over the VKB for whatever reasons. It could be screen real estate to antiquated perception. Whether people call it business image or something else isn’t really serious intention. The business image perception is acceptable enough that BB and it’s licensees have accepted it for the positive attributes since none of the involved companies have the economic resources for the VKB space
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-12-19 01:21 PM
    BB, the brand, is only a niche market because of the overwhelming PKB identification. The problem is that for the vast overwhelming masses, the PKB is not a desired feature over the VKB for whatever reasons. It could be screen real estate to antiquated perception. Whether people call it business image or something else isn’t really serious intention. The business image perception is acceptable enough that BB and it’s licensees have accepted it for the positive attributes since none of the involved companies have the economic resources for the VKB space

I am not sure I entirely agree

We have the Motion from TCL
    The Evolve from Optiemus
    The Aurora from Merah

All three devices are VKB with a fourth being the Evolve X being released at some point in time.

On the other hand we have the Key one , two and LE

So I am not sure who has accepted what right now ...

Let us see what 2019 brings ....
    01-12-19 01:37 PM
    I am not sure I entirely agree

We have the Motion from TCL
    The Evolve from Optiemus
    The Aurora from Merah

All three devices are VKB with a fourth being the Evolve X being released at some point in time.

On the other hand we have the Key one , two and LE

So I am not sure who has accepted what right now ...

Let us see what 2019 brings ....
    It’s why the overwhelming majorities of phones sold by BB and it’s licensees for easily the entire 10 years of BB VKB availability have been PKB devices. The BB VKB isn’t even from BB itself. BB has licensed from SwiftKey for many years. Someone posted here in last few days that BB is supposed to finally have it’s own VKB software to include within the BB App Suite eventually.

From a sales perspective, BB and it’s licensees want to successfully offer VKB, however, the sales aren’t even close to PKB, so minimum production has been problem.

All three VKB devices you list are initial single run from each licensee. The Evolve X would be the second VKB offered by any of the licensees. That’s why the delays are met with skepticism from so many of us. It’s been years of this starting with Storm, 9860, Z series and DTEK offerings. The Z50 never happened. We’re jaded and the VKB sales results from the big OEMs are just getting less profitable to not profitable. Look how many big name former Android OEMs have exited the business.
    01-12-19 02:31 PM
    It’s why the overwhelming majorities of phones sold by BB and it’s licensees for easily the entire 10 years of BB VKB availability have been PKB devices. The BB VKB isn’t even from BB itself. BB has licensed from SwiftKey for many years. Someone posted here in last few days that BB is supposed to finally have it’s own VKB software to include within the BB App Suite eventually.

From a sales perspective, BB and it’s licensees want to successfully offer VKB, however, the sales aren’t even close to PKB, so minimum production has been problem.

All three VKB devices you list are initial single run from each licensee. The Evolve X would be the second VKB offered by any of the licensees. That’s why the delays are met with skepticism from so many of us. It’s been years of this starting with Storm, 9860, Z series and DTEK offerings. The Z50 never happened. We’re jaded and the VKB sales results from the big OEMs are just getting less profitable to not profitable. Look how many big name former Android OEMs have exited the business.
    You know I am going to ask for numbers ....

There have been various VKB devices from the Curve, Torch, Z10, Z3, Leap, z30, DTEK 50/60 plus the current batch (not including the Priv because that's technically both).

I know you believe that BlackBerry has consistently "flogged a dead horse" when it comes to VKB devices but I will reserve judgment until we have the numbers.

Like I said let's wait and see what 2019 brings ...
    01-12-19 03:36 PM
30 12