I don't get it. The trackpad makes up for the problems that are caused when you have a screen under 3 inches. It makes scrolling and clicking easier, particularly on websites which are shrunk down to fit the small screen where the buttons on the webpage are small. It's more accurate then a fat finger and I rather not have to use my nail while having to pinch to zoom. That's more time consuming and also annoying.

I get removing the trackpad on a 4 inch screen device but on the Bold/N Line? It seems RIM is just trying to recreate the wheel and is going to anger a lot of people like me. I may have to reconsider BB10 as this ISN'T practical at all.
    recompile, mud314, jthep and 2 others like this.
    06-26-12 09:05 PM
    I agree. Keep the track pad.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    06-26-12 09:11 PM
    I am in the same boat, the loss of the trackpad is going to result in me needing to keep BB7 devices longer,
    I am going to try the N series, and am going to try to adapt, but I'll be hard on RIM if it isn't atleast as good as the trackpad

I understand the desire for the bigger screen, and the crap device like the Motorla Droid Pro did just as RIM is proposing, except RIM has a better Keyboard.

I will very much MISS the physical call answer/ end call buttons, and the trackpad, the other 2 buttons are easily replaced with gestures.
    seattletom, Pete6, shaleem and 1 others like this.
    06-26-12 09:13 PM
    I like the trackpad for precise touchscreen clicks so I don't have to zoom In to click things.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    06-26-12 09:14 PM
    It won't really be needed with the gesture based OS.
    It would be nice to have it, yes. But I don't think it'll really
    make a difference with the new OS.
    I agree, i love that i have the option to use the touchscreen but 90% of the time i use the trackpad. And im coming from a previous die hard android user.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Toodeurep likes this.
    It won't really be needed with the gesture based OS.
    It would be nice to have it, yes. But I don't think it'll really
    make a difference with the new OS.
    Did you read my post? How is it being a gesture based OS relevant to this discussion? Rather it has nothing to do with the software, rather hardware limitations and making up for a major problem that comes with having a small screen.

The OS itself is completely irrelevant because there's no bit of software they could implement which would fix this problem. Gesture based isn't going to make up for it.
    Last edited by CatlinFD; 06-26-12 at 09:20 PM.
    06-26-12 09:17 PM
    That is one of the things I missed about BBs was the trackpad. However I found a keyboard that had arrows on it that allowed me to scroll around and copy text as easily.

Although I still wouldn't mind a trackpad.
    06-26-12 09:20 PM
    Did you read my post? How is it being a gesture based OS relevant to this discussion? Rather it has nothing to do with software limitations, rather hardware limitations and making up for a major problem that comes with having a small screen.

The OS itself is completely irrelevant because there's no bit of software they could implement which would fix this problem. It's hardware limitations.
    How is hardware limitations?
    The trackpad is used to navigate within the OS, correct?
    The new OS is similar to the Playbook. The Playbook is easy to navigate,
    & it doesn't have a trackpad.

So a trackpad really isn't needed for the BB10 physical keyboard phones.

If you're so concerned with it not having a trackpad, then don't purchase
    the phone when it's released.
    cjalxndr likes this.
    06-26-12 09:21 PM
    How is hardware limitations?
    The trackpad is used to navigate within the OS, correct?
    The new OS is similar to the Playbook. The Playbook is easy to navigate,
    & it doesn't have a trackpad.

So a trackpad really isn't needed for the BB10 physical keyboard phones.

If you're so concerned with it not having a trackpad, then don't purchase
    the phone when it's released.

I swear, RIM will never please you fools smh.
    If Crackberry didn't have a profanity filter, I would explode right now at your stupidity. The Playbook has a 7 inch screen and a browser that renders websites natively at proper resolutions because it has a 7 inch screen. On a < 3 inch screen the website is SHRUNK and displays EXTREMELY SMALL where EVERYTHING such as buttons appear EXTREMELY SMALL and are mushed up together where if you try to use a fat finger, you end up clicking both buttons. Which is why the trackpad is needed to fix this issue which is caused by hardware (a 2-3 inch screen).

I advise you to stop talking.
    06-26-12 09:26 PM
    yep Im going to miss the trackpad, I prefer it to the touch screen
    06-26-12 09:31 PM
    If Crackberry didn't have a profanity filter, I would explode right now at your stupidity. The Playbook has a 7 inch screen and a browser that renders websites natively at proper resolutions because it has a 7 inch screen. On a < 3 inch screen the website is SHRUNK and displays EXTREMELY SMALL where EVERYTHING such as buttons appear EXTREMELY SMALL and are mushed up together where if you try to use a fat finger, you end up clicking both buttons. Which is why the trackpad is needed to fix this issue which is caused by hardware (a 2-3 inch screen).

That's what pinch to zoom is for.
    There's links on iPhone & Android that are tiny that you pinch to zoom to see.
    If you're that lazy to zoom in with your finger than that's a personal issue lol.
    Try again.
    06-26-12 09:32 PM
    I have no answer as to why (or if) RIM is abandoning the trackpad but
    I know that that one issue is not going to stop me from buying the device.

We have all had things change in technology and managed to adapt to those
    changes just fine. This may be one more of those occasions. If it becomes
    a PITA (should know fairly early on) the device can just be returned.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-26-12 09:35 PM
    That's what pinch to zoom is for.
    There's links on iPhone & Android that are tiny that you pinch to zoom to see.
    If you're that lazy to zoom in with your finger than that's a personal issue lol.
    Try again.
    Do you comprehend that the BlackBerry browser can only zoom in so far yet on Android you can keep zooming in until you blow up the button to where it fills the screen? Any Android phones with a 2-3 inch screen (HTC Wildfire) have a touchpad. The iPhone has a 3.5 inch screen and most androids have a 4-5.5 inch screen which isn't a problem. BlackBerry has a 2.4 inch screen, and it has nothing to do with laziness, rather a necessary feature in-order to navigate without headaches.

We understand you have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you could ask RIM for a job, seems you all got rocks in your head so you'll fit right in.
    06-26-12 09:37 PM
    Not sure why I have to say this but it's important to note that those designs we saw aren't definitively what the devices will look like when the roll out. They offer a look at what RIM is building towards, not a final product. An undated one at that. Until you see actual hardware (and even then) things can change drastically.

PS: Play nice folks, name calling and ill temper will get you nowhere.
    06-26-12 09:40 PM
    Do you comprehend that the BlackBerry browser can only zoom in so far yet on Android you can keep zooming in until you blow up the button to where it fills the screen? Any Android phones with a 2-3 inch screen (HTC Wildfire) have a touchpad. The iPhone has a 3.5 inch screen and most androids have a 4-5.5 inch screen which isn't a problem. BlackBerry has a 2.4 inch screen, and it has nothing to do with laziness, rather a necessary feature in-order to navigate without headaches.

We understand you have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you could ask RIM for a job, seems you all got rocks in your head so you'll fit right in.

Lmao, this is more than enough to click a link when you zoom in.
    It's really not THAT big of a deal.

@B1aze my apologies.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-26-12 09:50 PM
    I don't get it. The trackpad makes up for the problems that are caused when you have a screen under 3 inches. It makes scrolling and clicking easier, particularly on websites which are shrunk down to fit the small screen where the buttons on the webpage are small. It's more accurate then a fat finger and I rather not have to use my nail while having to pinch to zoom. That's more time consuming and also annoying.

I get removing the trackpad on a 4 inch screen device but on the Bold/N Line? It seems RIM is just trying to recreate the wheel and is going to anger a lot of people like me. I may have to reconsider BB10 as this ISN'T practical at all.
    Freezing trackpad, dead trackpad, trackpads that fall off the device, trackpads that show a red light behind it the list goes on and on with those things RIM should be making $$$ off those patents on the trackpad ZTE sure can use it those touchscreens are sh*t.
    06-26-12 09:59 PM
    Not sure why I have to say this but it's important to note that those designs we saw aren't definitively what the devices will look like when the roll out. They offer a look at what RIM is building towards, not a final product. An undated one at that. Until you see actual hardware (and even then) things can change drastically.

PS: Play nice folks, name calling and ill temper will get you nowhere.
    Since the first mention of BBX (pre-BB10), there have been images leaked. As we grow closer to BB10 launch, these designs get closer to the final product. I just came across what appears to be a newer leak which I think will answer everyone's question about replacing the trackpad.
    06-26-12 10:11 PM
    Since the first mention of BBX (pre-BB10), there have been images leaked. As we grow closer to BB10 launch, these designs get closer to the final product. I just came across what appears to be a newer leak which I think will answer everyone's question about replacing the trackpad.
    Darn, was hoping they would go more PS3 style.
    troshs likes this.
    06-26-12 10:24 PM
    It would seriously drive me insane if I had to pinch to zoom to click links in the web browser. Call me lazy. I guess I am, that is probably why I enjoy using BlackBerry smartphones so much. They are efficient to use. Pinching and zooming on a small screen to navigate a website isn't efficient. It just adds another step. If I wanted more steps added to my daily activities on my smartphone I would just start using Android as my primary device full time.
    bounce007 likes this.
    06-26-12 10:51 PM

Well Responsive Design is becoming much more popular which would completely 100% fix this issue, although the internet is a good 2+ years from it being a web standard. I agree with what you're saying though.
    06-26-12 11:18 PM
    Pinch to zoom or double tap? If double tapping is such a hassle then damn... there's no hope for any of you. I would understand having to use the other hand when you could do it with one, but tapping fixes that, and most of the time that gives you readable text and its even better when you can set the amount of zoom tapping gives you so it doesn't zoom in too much, but since bookmark management is not even implemented yet on the browser, i highly doubt they will give users that option.

If accuracy is such a problem, then they could also go the opera mini way in which if you press more than two buttons/link in one tap it zooms into the zone you tapped so you can make a more accurate touch. You would only zoom in to click buttons next to each other, links are easy to click if they are surrounded by text in the case of for example, wikipedia or crackberry articles.

The only thing a trackpad can do is accurate clicking on websites you already know where to click, and that's it, because if you don't know where to click on such a small screen, you still have to get the text to readable size by zooming in. Also, well implemented touch functionality allows you to select text and apply actions to a selection faster than with a trackpad. Scrolling text with a trackpad is completely irrelevant when it can be done with the finger.
    Last edited by nms64; 06-26-12 at 11:29 PM.
    06-26-12 11:23 PM
    I sure hope the Trackpad makes a return. Think about it; you can navigate the entire phone while *barely* moving your thumb. Whereas with a large touch screen device, that may sometimes involve using up to both hands and moving your finger up and down the screen.

If it doesn't return, I hope RIM will have a trackpad on the touchscreen (maybe down in the corner somewhere) for the browser. You can zoom in to click on links, sure, but that's an additional step that wouldn't otherwise be necessary.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    06-26-12 11:37 PM
    I don't know about the rest of you, but trying to use some drop-down menus on the playbook is damn near impossible. Gotta hold the tab which opens the drop-down menu, but when you remove your finger to select the desired option, the drop-down menu disappears. But, with bridge, you can use the cursor to open a drop-down menu and click the option you want.

Precision is needed.

Trackpads help.
    gregorylkelly and Chinookman like this.
    06-26-12 11:37 PM
    Darn, was hoping they would go more PS3 style.
    That's the L-Series
    06-26-12 11:57 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD