Strange to hear that? For one, Canadians complain that Canadians are not proud enough. 2. I never see flags on front porches in Toronto. I see them on a few cars, but they are mostly Toronto Maple Leaf Flags.

Posted via CB10
    I think you may have misunderstood. I was saying that as Canadians, we could do with seeing a few more flags flying on front porches and front lawns. From my, admittedly limited, travels in the 'States' they are far more likely to have flags of all sizes flying. You are quite obviously a proud Canadian (nice avatar by the way!) and there are many more of us, I think we just need to be less apologetic in our pride.
    10-22-13 08:04 AM
    [QUOTE=anfidhlear;9373654]

I'm an American, and I take no issue with the idea of a bow/curtsey to a monarch or head of state. Nor do I have any quibble with the protocol of addressing people by their formal title, if the situation dictates or if the person requests it.
    That is what we do in polite society.
    You can do whatever you want.

Op and participants in regards to the original question: perhaps this fellow's comments will provide some insight.

Posted via CB10
    Would you bow if you met the President? If you did you would look foolish because we don't bow before our elected leaders. Why would you bow before those not your leader and who were never even chosen by the people they claim to have authority over?

People have to respect our customs too.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 08:47 AM
    I love this place. In just a few days we took a thread about BlackBerry hatred in America and turned it into a thread about whether to bow to the Queen, and who should kiss the Pope's ring.
    10-22-13 09:35 AM
    [QUOTE=lawguyman;9379037]

Would you bow if you met the President? If you did you would look foolish because we don't bow before our elected leaders. Why would you bow before those not your leader and who were never even chosen by the people they claim to have authority over?

Posted via CB10
    I understand what you mean but I think your comparison is a little strained... Respecting your custom would be to not bow to the President just as respecting the customs of the Monarchy would, generally speaking, be to bow/curtsey to the Monarch.
    10-22-13 09:42 AM
    Wait, I'm confused. What the heck do monarchies and bowing have to do with the dadblame question the OP asked?!

Sent from my iPad
    10-22-13 11:05 AM
    Wait, I'm confused. What the heck do monarchies and bowing have to do with the dadblame question the OP asked?!

Sent from my iPad
    Everything... ;P
    10-22-13 12:45 PM
    Wait, I'm confused. What the heck do monarchies and bowing have to do with the dadblame question the OP asked?
    We'll, you see, Americans hate BlackBerry. They hate it with a white-hot, frothy passion. Now, -- follow me here -- BlackBerry is a Canadian company, and Canada is a federal parliamentary democracy and a constitutional monarchy, with Queen Elizabeth II as its head of state. Therefore, because Americans hate BlackBerry, they refuse to bow to the Queen. QED.
    10-22-13 01:27 PM
    We'll, you see, Americans hate BlackBerry. They hate it with a white-hot, frothy passion. Now, -- follow me here -- BlackBerry is a Canadian company, and Canada is a federal parliamentary democracy and a constitutional monarchy, with Queen Elizabeth II as its head of state. Therefore, because Americans hate BlackBerry, they refuse to bow to the Queen. QED.
    Gogurt droppin' the math on the thread! well played...
    10-22-13 02:00 PM
    By the way, I learned something new because of this thread. You know how people from Canada are called "Canadians," and people from Mexico are called "Mexicans," and people from the Netherlands are called "Dutch"? Well, it turns out there's a word for those adjectives. They're called "demonyms."

You're welcome.
    Sexy Sadie and paper_monkey like this.
    10-22-13 03:21 PM
    I think you may have misunderstood. I was saying that as Canadians, we could do with seeing a few more flags flying on front porches and front lawns. From my, admittedly limited, travels in the 'States' they are far more likely to have flags of all sizes flying. You are quite obviously a proud Canadian (nice avatar by the way!) and there are many more of us, I think we just need to be less apologetic in our pride.
    Ah, you are right, I totally misunderstood that. Lol, sorry. Oh, there I go again. I'm going to hang a flag every time I apologize.

Posted via CB10
    paper_monkey likes this.
    10-22-13 11:42 PM
    [QUOTE=lawguyman;9379037]

Posted via CB10
    It is not customary to bow or curtsey to the United States President. The office of the President does not ask people to do this.

You most certainly would not have to bow to a visiting dignitary. If you are in their country, and custom dictates, it would certainly be a good idea.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 04:59 PM
    I don't bow to the Queen or members of the Royal Family when they visit. I do curtsy as a show of respect. We are a member of the Commonwealth. As long as that's the case, an occasional curtsy ain't gonna kill me.

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk
    Typically women curtsey and men bow, no? Unless one is in Japan...

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 05:01 PM
    Perhaps it's more the case of exemplifying the inherent cultural views of many Americans

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 05:02 PM
    Typically women curtsey and men bow, no? Unless one is in Japan...

Posted via CB10
    Yep. I'm a girl. A tech and hockey and beer loving girl lol.
    10-23-13 06:42 PM
    Yep. I'm a girl. A tech and hockey and beer loving girl lol.
    (It was a rhetorical question).
    I am a a beer and Scotch loving, Linux using woman who loves hockey and football (soccer in US speak). There aren't nearly enough of us out there; nice to meet another

Posted via CB10
    reeneebob likes this.
    10-24-13 06:05 AM
    Deleted post. I realized that this probably is not the best place to ask gifting advice.
    10-24-13 07:34 AM
    Deleted post. I realized that this probably is not the best place to ask gifting advice.
    Well first of all, there's no 'T' in GIF.. ;P
    10-24-13 02:00 PM
442 ... 161718