Hi, i was thinking about that these days :

Why there is no hack team for blackberry ??

Why hackers don't interrest in bb ? to bring us mods, opengl or something like that...

There is just some guys who make hybrid os or hack app but why there's no "jailbreak" or "root access" for blackberry ??
    10-28-09 08:04 AM
    You need to refresh your knowledge: there *is* hacking done for/on the BlackBerry platform. There is no central "hacking team" like you name it, neither is there something like that for the iPhone. You have the jailbreak, but what does it do actually? Jailbreaking just allows you to install unsigned applications on the iPhone BYPASSING the App Store. Woohoo. BlackBerry users NEVER were forced to install stuff from App world and unsigned Java applications ALWAYS were possible to install OTA. Jailbreaking is not necessary for the BlackBerry.

I've seen people reverse CODs (with quite much success), generate MEP codes for unlocking, enter Service Mode for unbranding, enter the Engineering Screen, install an OS from another carrier, modify Service Books, enable disabled features (like limited GPS on Verizon and 2G/3G selection for AT&T Bold), build hybrid OS (which isn't a piece of cake), change VendorID, et cetera et cetera and MUCH MORE (look at my sig, even I have "hacked" something; Arabic language support for the Pearl).

There is very much hacking going on, you just don't know about it. Fact is though, BlackBerry is not limited as a platform like the iPhone. We have the option to install applications OTA, via Media Card or USB cable with Desktop Manager. We never were limited to App World only like iPhone is to the App Store.

Also, BlackBerry is Java based, if you want you can also follow the Java hacking scene, most JARs run on BlackBerry flawlessly.
    10-28-09 08:45 AM
    okay thx for your reply !

OK but what i mean by "jailbreak" is to run applications with an another code-based than java... is it possible ? i've never seen that before.....
    10-28-09 10:19 AM
    okay thx for your reply !

OK but what i mean by "jailbreak" is to run applications with an another code-based than java... is it possible ? i've never seen that before.....
    It's a Java based OS, so someone will have to write a new OS from scratch to run non Java apps basically.

And the whole point of a BB is the security, so jail breaking is kind of pointless. What you're describing is an Android based phone or the new Nokia might be right for you.
    10-28-09 10:36 AM
    What do you mean; the BlackBerry OS is Java based. If you want to develop low-level applications not based on Java, you'll need to write a completely new OS from scratch. Java is a great programming language, which is widely used and the BlackBerry OS is just getting better and better, so why shold someone bother and try compiling at the core level?

What are YOU trying to achieve anyway? Mock down BlackBerry just because it doesn't seem to be as hackish as iPhail?
    10-28-09 10:45 AM
    no

what i'm trying to find is the possibility to bring 3d graphics on blackberry !
    10-28-09 11:38 AM
    What do you mean; the BlackBerry OS is Java based. If you want to develop low-level applications not based on Java, you'll need to write a completely new OS from scratch. Java is a great programming language, which is widely used and the BlackBerry OS is just getting better and better, so why shold someone bother and try compiling at the core level?

What are YOU trying to achieve anyway? Mock down BlackBerry just because it doesn't seem to be as hackish as iPhail?
    I hate the iPhone, but Java is an antiquated programming language.
    10-28-09 11:46 AM
    no

what i'm trying to find is the possibility to bring 3d graphics on blackberry !
    Easy, write it. You don't need to hack the phone just to put some 3D formulas into a Java app and display something.
    10-28-09 11:48 AM
    Easy, write it. You don't need to hack the phone just to put some 3D formulas into a Java app and display something.
    there is api's for that ! OpenGL, Java 3D, .....
    Why they can't put these api's and the BB will be better with apps like in iphone.....
    10-28-09 12:31 PM
    there is api's for that ! OpenGL, Java 3D, .....
    Why they can't put these api's and the BB will be better with apps like in iphone.....
    Being that RIM is a business device, it was never geared for 3D apps. And for 3D to even be feasible on a mobile device you will need a GPU with 3D capabilities as purely processing 3D math in the CPU will slow the thing to a crawl and consume your battery so very quickly.

So this isn't so much a hacking venture as it is a hardware upgrade. The best you will get for now is someone creating some light weight 3D routines on their own and using those.
    10-28-09 12:44 PM
    I'm a software developer and currently study Java, I personally dislike it enough not to feel comfortable writing code with it, but I feel and know it is a very powerful language. Of course many other languages are antiquated like C, but we need to use something that's kind of the standard and modular. I like that RIM chose Java, because this means the BlackBerry platform is open to many J2ME applications, we are not limited to only BlackBerry applications. Java is also readily available for any platform so starting Java programming is very easy no matter what you use.

Having said that... some 3D games on my BlackBerry like Need for Speed run quite well even if the screen resolution doesn't match... just get the generic J2ME versions of the games and run 'em on your 'Berry
    10-28-09 12:54 PM
    Of course many other languages are antiquated like C, but we need to use something that's kind of the standard and modular.
    Second part of that sentence, yes. But C fits the bill too. The main reason not to use it and go for Java is the features that are built into Java which make it more secure and easier to use.

The first part, I really have to wonder where you got that from. Antiquated? It's alive and well and the ISO standards committee is still adding to it. It's still got a strong following in the PC world and has an almost unshakable hold on the embedded world.
    10-28-09 12:59 PM
    Wrong wording, sorry; not a native English speaker.
    many other languages feel antiquated like C <- now that's better.

There have been new additions and contributions to C, which I really appreciate, but you have to admit it feels antiquated in the sense that it was there many years ago even if it isn't the same C we have today.
    10-28-09 01:02 PM
    Being that RIM is a business device, it was never geared for 3D apps. And for 3D to even be feasible on a mobile device you will need a GPU with 3D capabilities as purely processing 3D math in the CPU will slow the thing to a crawl and consume your battery so very quickly.

So this isn't so much a hacking venture as it is a hardware upgrade. The best you will get for now is someone creating some light weight 3D routines on their own and using those.
    wrong ! i read somewhere that the storm 1 and 2 have a suffisant gpu to run 3d maths (in the same level of the iphone !)....

And for need for speed, seriously, do you call that 3D ?? it's a crappy 3D like (built with 2D spray like in the gameboy advance !)
    10-28-09 04:46 PM
    wrong ! i read somewhere that the storm 1 and 2 have a suffisant gpu to run 3d maths (in the same level of the iphone !)....

And for need for speed, seriously, do you call that 3D ?? it's a crappy 3D like (built with 2D spray like in the gameboy advance !)
    Maybe a little, but nothing serious. And I'm willing to bet it's basic 3D without anything like anti aliasing and whatnot. Personally I'll just use a DS or PSP if I want 3D stuff.
    10-28-09 06:42 PM
    You need to refresh your knowledge: there *is* hacking done for/on the BlackBerry platform. There is no central "hacking team" like you name it, neither is there something like that for the iPhone. You have the jailbreak, but what does it do actually? Jailbreaking just allows you to install unsigned applications on the iPhone BYPASSING the App Store. Woohoo. BlackBerry users NEVER were forced to install stuff from App world and unsigned Java applications ALWAYS were possible to install OTA. Jailbreaking is not necessary for the BlackBerry.

I've seen people reverse CODs (with quite much success), generate MEP codes for unlocking, enter Service Mode for unbranding, enter the Engineering Screen, install an OS from another carrier, modify Service Books, enable disabled features (like limited GPS on Verizon and 2G/3G selection for AT&T Bold), build hybrid OS (which isn't a piece of cake), change VendorID, et cetera et cetera and MUCH MORE (look at my sig, even I have "hacked" something; Arabic language support for the Pearl).

There is very much hacking going on, you just don't know about it. Fact is though, BlackBerry is not limited as a platform like the iPhone. We have the option to install applications OTA, via Media Card or USB cable with Desktop Manager. We never were limited to App World only like iPhone is to the App Store.

Also, BlackBerry is Java based, if you want you can also follow the Java hacking scene, most JARs run on BlackBerry flawlessly.

Compared to cooking a ROM on WinMo doing a simple procedure such as a hybrid OS is a piece of cake. That's what he meant for the most part. No need to go on the offensive. The OS is java based, and more locked up. Hence why you can't cook a ROM. More secure in a way, but takes some fun out of it, too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 10:40 PM

Actually Java can be quite limited and even antiquated at times. It is more secure, yes, but really no need for your blind fanboy antics. The OP makes a good point. The OS is lacking a lot that is found on the most basic of OSs on phones.

Again, that doesn't matter to me, since BB does what I need it to do, and am quite happy. However, that doesn't mean I should be so blind to not point flaws either. Progress is quite important and a fact of life. Your commentary is quite counterproductive, and falls in line with "yes man" antics, which again impede progress.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 10:48 PM
    I wasn't "fanboyic" but what I meant was to make the CODs go together if you don't know them.
    10-29-09 01:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD