The answer of course is gtalk, because you sign up for (or use an existing) gmail account when they set up your android device. No setup there either.

Yeah, it's pretty simple to do. When you think about it, other than downloading the app, its easier to do then to get someone's pin.
    10-10-10 07:43 PM
    The answer of course is gtalk, because you sign up for (or use an existing) gmail account when they set up your android device. No setup there either.
    so an Android device requires you to build a email address

that was something I did not know.
    10-10-10 07:57 PM
    so an Android device requires you to build a email address

that was something I did not know.
    Don't feel bad, as I wasn't really fully aware of it until I was in the store activating mine and they asked if I had one or wanted to make one.
    10-10-10 08:01 PM
    Yeah, it's pretty simple to do. When you think about it, other than downloading the app, its easier to do then to get someone's pin.
    in my experience the PIN being on the box has helped, I've had co workers just read me off the box their pin then I add them to teach them how to use BBM, for work stuff, just to reduce chit chat via email.

for us Tech savvy people things are pretty easy to do, but to some people even the basic functions of smartphones are scary, if IT registered a gmail account for the company I could see some people using Android, as they really are 99% phone only, and 1% BBM, but that is allowing gmail to be apart of the corporate structure.
    10-10-10 08:01 PM
    Don't feel bad, as I wasn't really fully aware of it until I was in the store activating mine and they asked if I had one or wanted to make one.
    That to me is a positive, but a big negative to me buying a phone for someone as a gift, I do not want to create their email address for them, that they need to care about, normally for RIM I do [firstname][phonenumber]@[carrier].blackberry.net and they never NEED to know it.
    10-10-10 08:03 PM
    in my experience the PIN being on the box has helped, I've had co workers just read me off the box their pin then I add them to teach them how to use BBM, for work stuff, just to reduce chit chat via email.

for us Tech savvy people things are pretty easy to do, but to some people even the basic functions of smartphones are scary, if IT registered a gmail account for the company I could see some people using Android, as they really are 99% phone only, and 1% BBM, but that is allowing gmail to be apart of the corporate structure.
    I would suggest that for corporate users on BES, BBM still has some advantages, such as being encrypted and logged on the company servers.

For non-corporate users there are systems in place that are about as good as BBM and hold the advantage of being cross-platform solutions.
    10-10-10 08:10 PM
    That to me is a positive, but a big negative to me buying a phone for someone as a gift, I do not want to create their email address for them, that they need to care about, normally for RIM I do [firstname][phonenumber]@[carrier].blackberry.net and they never NEED to know it.
    So why not just set the same thing for their gmail account? I'm actually surprised there are still folks out there without a gmail account.

I guess I don't know for sure that you have to keep the gmail account active once the device has been set up. My primary accounts are gmail, so I've never had a desire to turn them off and see what happens. You can have other email addresses as well, not just gmail.
    10-10-10 08:17 PM
    So why not just set the same thing for their gmail account? I'm actually surprised there are still folks out there without a gmail account.

I guess I don't know for sure that you have to keep the gmail account active once the device has been set up. My primary accounts are gmail, so I've never had a desire to turn them off and see what happens. You can have other email addresses as well, not just gmail.
    I pay for a Personal Gmail apps account, as I agree it is great, but I have many people who insist on hotmail, or Carrier email and don't want to manage multiple accounts.

as for setting up a person's email address the same, unless I am mistaken you must give your email address to a person who you gtalk with, in doing so you are giving far to much information away to the general public, as it is my MSN is a ghosted email account I set up 10 years ago.

the beauty of BBM is it brings the anonymity that ICQ once had, everything is linked with so much contact info these days, I'm far from a paranoid person, but with PIN sharing, Zero contact info is shared.
    10-10-10 09:21 PM
    I would suggest that for corporate users on BES, BBM still has some advantages, such as being encrypted and logged on the company servers.

For non-corporate users there are systems in place that are about as good as BBM and hold the advantage of being cross-platform solutions.
    The reason BBM is so great is that because you have corporate users, you have their families.

so even with a locked down BES, you still get to chat to your kids, parents, siblings and friends.

Apple actually built on this model with apps and device sharing, if you have 2 kids with iPod Touchs, and you buy them apps, why not get an iPhone for you and the wife, you buy an app once everyone gets to use it.. very smart!
    10-10-10 09:23 PM
    The reason BBM is so great is that because you have corporate users, you have their families.

so even with a locked down BES, you still get to chat to your kids, parents, siblings and friends.

Apple actually built on this model with apps and device sharing, if you have 2 kids with iPod Touchs, and you buy them apps, why not get an iPhone for you and the wife, you buy an app once everyone gets to use it.. very smart!
    Color me paranoid, but the last thing I want is my employer being able to log all conversations I have with my family, definitely not with an s.o., or friends thanks to it all going through the BES to get to/from your device.

That does sound like a cool deal with Apple devices, I had no idea that was the case.
    10-10-10 09:28 PM
    Color me paranoid, but the last thing I want is my employer being able to log all conversations I have with my family, definitely not with an s.o., or friends thanks to it all going through the BES to get to/from your device.

That does sound like a cool deal with Apple devices, I had no idea that was the case.
    I think one of the other reasons I prefer BBM is because it has no effect on my data plan, at least that is my understanding. I have friends in Asia that transfer mp3's etc all through bbm. That is one advantage as well, real time sharing through bbm of pictures, voicenotes etc. I send all sorts of files and have never gone over 100 MB of usage in a month.
    10-10-10 09:55 PM
    I think one of the other reasons I prefer BBM is because it has no effect on my data plan, at least that is my understanding. I have friends in Asia that transfer mp3's etc all through bbm. That is one advantage as well, real time sharing through bbm of pictures, voicenotes etc. I send all sorts of files and have never gone over 100 MB of usage in a month.
    I don't really understand that one, because BBM uses data, just like everything else does. It may compress some data but overall, it should still rack up usage just like other data use does. My usage always seemed to go up an appropriate amount when I used bbm as when I used other things.
    10-10-10 10:05 PM
    Everything in your statement shows why Blackberrys are becomig toys and are looig their. Relevance. Instead of being a business workhorse, its now a device to meet "pretty girls...at school.."and"get lots of dates. Its just an archaic status symbal in the consumer market.
    Hey man, don't hate. Isn't everything popular an "archaic status symbal"? Lots of people I know have iPhones or Androids and don't even use or "need" most of the features. In the same vein, iPods are pretty under-featured for the price (compared to the likes of Microsoft Zune, Sandisk Sansa, etc.) but they are still one of the best-selling media players in the world. As another example, did you honestly think people bought BMWs, Benzes, and Audis as "workhorse" cars when a Toyota or Honda can easily do the same job for half the price? Welcome to the 21st century, literally everything expensive will sell out and become a status symbol in order to gain a larger consumer base.

PS: Meeting pretty girls at school may not be a "business" per se, but so far it has a better payoff than any job I've heard about
    Last edited by terminally_chill; 10-10-10 at 11:53 PM.
    10-10-10 11:50 PM
    BBM FTMFW lol and all the other sweet stuff lol
    10-10-10 11:57 PM

Not every BES is used to log BBM, though the chance is there,
    but I'll tell you the number of Family BB's I know because our company issued BB's to us is quite staggering, for every BES BB, there is 2BIS BB's, that is a good reason for RIM to keep the Corporate user in mind.
    10-11-10 08:33 AM
    I chose blackberry because of the qwerty keypad and the stability of the OS and the e-mail. Also for the battery life, DVD-quality video recording and security it offers, including for any job I apply for, I'll get the e-mail ASAP when it confirms the app I submitted. There are far more reasons that I forgot, but ****, this **** is addicting maybe that was the reason lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-10 09:06 AM
    ^ tucker who?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-10 09:28 PM
    The BB has some features that other phones do not such as forward a email as a text, turn your phone to calls only when going to bed so you wont hear ding ding all night long. Copy and paste is very easy to use. Resend a email or text is a great feature that I have not seen on other phones and I use all of these that I listed all of the time. Very useful.
    10-13-10 10:54 PM
    Because of the qwerty keypad. I hate slider phones. I hate touch screens. 'nuff said.
    10-14-10 06:59 PM
    qwerty keyboard, instant email notifications, great battery life, lots of apps - just some reasons for me
    10-14-10 08:09 PM
    Fantastic keyboard, BBM.

And I think this is most appealing to me is that the software of BB is awesome. It's not fully perfect. If you're not happy with it, try something different. We have beta's, hybrids (which are by the way unique) and the fact that you probably got something loaded on your phone that you shouldn't have. I'm looking to you, leaks.
    10-14-10 08:18 PM
    Highly efficient to use (not overly animated like androids/iPhone)
    More data on screen than any other phone(yes, even on my tiny screen)
    Small physical size
    I dislike touch screens
    Opposition does not offer substantially more
    10-14-10 08:47 PM
    blackberry is just simply s**t hot!!
    10-15-10 07:51 AM
    With the Torch there is nothing you can't do with a BlackBerry that you can do with any other top of the line device, that you should need to do with a phone... So don't give me "HD video recording". If you want something like a great picture or a great video use a GREAT camera or video camera, some things should be done with a dedicated device.

The BlackBerry allows you to be as efficient as possible, and this "the screen is not as good" stuff is crap. I can clearly see the difference between my screen on the Torch and the iPhone 4, the quality is far and away better on the iPhone 4, but again it is a mobile phone "smartphone", and I'm using it as such so I'm not using it to look at DaVinci paintings or watch feature length films...

Thus, there is no reason why any other device is SO much better, they all do the same things, the basics, every smart phone just does them a little differently and has a different shape and name...
    10-15-10 02:10 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD