Hey all!

I'm kinda new, so Mods feel free to move this if it's in the wrong sub-forum.. also this might be a good sticky

...But I recently switched to a BB 9700 from an iPhone 3GS, and I was wondering who else on here has recently switched from another smartphone and why? I figure this thread would be good at swaying others who are on the fence or can't decide. Let's share some stories, people!

I'll start with mine; I switched from iOS to BB for 3 reasons:

1. I'm a text-a-holic, and touchscreen keyboards are just horrible for me. ... it's hard to know where the keys are without tactile buttons. Guess I'm old-fashioned but I prefer a good set of tactile, mechanical keys any day.

2. Rogers Student Plan was $40/month and had 300 minutes, unlimited evenings+weekends, unlimited text, unlimited BBM/Facebook/Myspace/Twitter, and unlimited UMA (voice calls over Wi-fi) calling. No browsing included, but let's face it... the OS5.0 browser kinda sucks anyway.

3. All the pretty girls at my school have BBM, and now that I switched... let's just say my PIN has helped me get a lot of dates
    10-09-10 11:42 PM
    BB pearl was my first smartphone. I came from a Moto SLVR. I used my buddys pearl before I got mine, and never turned back. I'm on my 4th BB now and probably won't use any other smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-10 12:39 AM
    If you have to be convinced that a BlackBerry is "right" for you, then it isn't "right for you.
    10-10-10 07:03 AM
    It's simple:

1. I want a slower processor.
    2. I want a lower-res screen.
    3. I actually like the spinning clock.
    4. I love those 5+ minute boot times.
    5. I hate apps.

Bottom line: I demand LESS in a phone!
    10-10-10 07:31 AM
    If you have to be convinced that a BlackBerry is "right" for you, then it isn't "right for you.
    I agreee with this statement completely. You are the only one who can decide what device is right for you. We shouldn't be "convincing" folks to pick one choice or another, because how do we really know what they want and what flaws they can live with to get certain features they want.

Smart consumers will take whatever they're interested in for a test drive to see if what they have is compatible with what they want.

Here's my story about how I joined and left the BB nation:

Way back, a long time ago (about 2 1/12 years ago), I switched from a Motorola clamshell regular phone to a BB 8330 because I wanted to see what it was all about. It wasn't a bad device but I upgraded to the Tour when it came out to get cdma evdo rev a, a standard which should have been incorporated into the 8330 but wasn't even included in its' successor the 8530.

I left BB because the only new device they had wasn't a big leap like me switching from Curve to Tour, but more like expecting me to shell out at least $100 to buy the same screen, OS, processor (per many folks) and camera all over again. They slapped a trackpad, some ram, and wifi onto the Tour without any other upgrades and in so doing lost me as a customer.

If they upgrade BIS to allow for native browsing of folders in your mailboxes, ditch the file size limitations and truncated emails, and bump up the hardware specs, I may well be back.

Edited to add:

I'm glad to see the free market still works and that you were able to find the device that suits your needs well.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 10-10-10 at 07:36 AM.
    10-10-10 07:34 AM
    It's simple:

1. I want a slower processor.
    2. I want a lower-res screen.
    3. I actually like the spinning clock.
    4. I love those 5+ minute boot times.
    5. I hate apps.

Bottom line: I demand LESS in a phone!
    I want More battery life
    I want better connectivity with Friends
    I want a Cheaper international data plan

I actually had more I was gonna list but it would add to the Stupidity

I switched from WinMo to Blackberry because WinMo was starting to suck, I STILL miss the WinMo 5 Calendar, and the Excel/Word on WinMo. But blackberry does everything else better.
    For Excel use. The Torch is the BEST device I can find, no checkerboarding when scrolling in large excel files, unlike the competition.

Though I am in mostly agreement with. Mama there, get a phone that works for you, I love my Torch, sitting with a Storm and iPhone user last week, each of us picked appart what we didn't like and what we did about eachothers phones, we are all good sales people and none of us could sell the other on why ours were better.

Side note. I have a 90 second boot time from battery pull to receiving my first email with OS6 on the torch.

10-10-10 09:00 AM
    I want More battery life
    I want better connectivity with Friends
    I want a Cheaper international data plan

I actually had more I was gonna list but it would add to the Stupidity

I switched from WinMo to Blackberry because WinMo was starting to suck, I STILL miss the WinMo 5 Calendar, and the Excel/Word on WinMo. But blackberry does everything else better.
    For Excel use. The Torch is the BEST device I can find, no checkerboarding when scrolling in large excel files, unlike the competition.

Though I am in mostly agreement with. Mama there, get a phone that works for you, I love my Torch, sitting with a Storm and iPhone user last week, each of us picked appart what we didn't like and what we did about eachothers phones, we are all good sales people and none of us could sell the other on why ours were better.

Side note. I have a 90 second boot time from battery pull to receiving my first email with OS6 on the torch.

Again, I live in civilization where there is an abundant supply of electricity, so I don't really need my battery to last 3 weeks (or however long you all claim your battery lasts ). Better connectivity with friends? Whatever. I don't travel internationally but if you do, congrats!

Side note. A 90 second boot time is really nothing to brag about. My boot tome is about 31 seconds.
    10-10-10 09:24 AM
    Hey all!

I'm kinda new, so Mods feel free to move this if it's in the wrong sub-forum.. also this might be a good sticky

...But I recently switched to a BB 9700 from an iPhone 3GS, and I was wondering who else on here has recently switched from another smartphone and why? I figure this thread would be good at swaying others who are on the fence or can't decide. Let's share some stories, people!

I'll start with mine; I switched from iOS to BB for 3 reasons:

1. I'm a text-a-holic, and touchscreen keyboards are just horrible for me. ... it's hard to know where the keys are without tactile buttons. Guess I'm old-fashioned but I prefer a good set of tactile, mechanical keys any day.

2. Rogers Student Plan was $40/month and had 300 minutes, unlimited evenings+weekends, unlimited text, unlimited BBM/Facebook/Myspace/Twitter, and unlimited UMA (voice calls over Wi-fi) calling. No browsing included, but let's face it... the OS5.0 browser kinda sucks anyway.

3. All the pretty girls at my school have BBM, and now that I switched... let's just say my PIN has helped me get a lot of dates
    Everything in your statement shows why Blackberrys are becomig toys and are looig their. Relevance. Instead of being a business workhorse, its now a device to meet "pretty girls...at school.."and"get lots of dates. Its just an archaic status symbal in the consumer market.
    10-10-10 09:28 AM
    Again, I live in civilization where there is an abundant supply of electricity, so I don't really need my battery to last 3 weeks (or however long you all claim your battery lasts ). Better connectivity with friends? Whatever. I don't travel internationally but if you do, congrats!

Side note. A 90 second boot time is really nothing to brag about. My boot tome is about 31 seconds.
    3 weeks is a stretch, really I just want 36 hours, as less than 2 times a year I am away from being able to be plugged in that long.

You were bringing up your attempt at humorous reasons for wanting a blackberry, I replied with real reasons. 90 seconds isn't brag worthy I agree, but it is a far cry from the 5 minutes of your claim.

And the better connectivity with friends is very much a byproduct of
    BBM and friends with it, BBM allows international communication that SMS/MMS does not, and with the always on, no sign up style of BBM it makes the far less tech savy chat friendly ( read parents, grandparents)

I'm not saying RIM is perfect far from it, but it still has many plus points going for it as to why someone would want one.

10-10-10 09:53 AM
    3 weeks is a stretch, really I just want 36 hours, as less than 2 times a year I am away from being able to be plugged in that long.

You were bringing up your attempt at humorous reasons for wanting a blackberry, I replied with real reasons. 90 seconds isn't brag worthy I agree, but it is a far cry from the 5 minutes of your claim.

And the better connectivity with friends is very much a byproduct of
    BBM and friends with it, BBM allows international communication that SMS/MMS does not, and with the always on, no sign up style of BBM it makes the far less tech savy chat friendly ( read parents, grandparents)

I'm not saying RIM is perfect far from it, but it still has many plus points going for it as to why someone would want one.

BBM is not the end all be all of I'M clients. It exclusive to RIM devices. Big deal. It excludes a lot of people because it cannot reach crossplatform. Give me AIM or Gtalk over BBM anyday. Its easier to communicate via computer or mobile to clients, co-workers, family, & friends.
    10-10-10 10:07 AM
    Gtalk has a lot more potential than BBM ever had, as do Yahoo, AIM, and MSN messengers, all of which folks can use internationally. Most of these also work from computer to phone as well, not just limited to using them on the handset.

BIS is very archaic these days, lacking all the wonderful functionality that BES users get with regard to folders, and that android offers natively with regard to the ability to browse folders.

My last BB took 12 min to boot up. The original Tour I had was pushing 18 by the time you logged in and it stopped lagging enough to be able to do something useful. Even with the seidio extended battery, I was very lucky to be able to get more than 12 hours on a charge. I got used to charging that mid-day also.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 10-10-10 at 10:25 AM.
    10-10-10 10:20 AM
    BBM is not the end all be all of I'M clients. It exclusive to RIM devices. Big deal. It excludes a lot of people because it cannot reach crossplatform. Give me AIM or Gtalk over BBM anyday. Its easier to communicate via computer or mobile to clients, co-workers, family, & friends.
    Gtalk has the potential yes!!
    I whole heartedly agree, a cross platform client that requires zero set up to start chatting is needed

But I can put a bb in anyones hand and they can get to chating. Unfortunately there is still a large portion of the population who doesn't understand technology,

I run into people in the workplace with blackberry's who do not even have personal email addresses, HOW do you get them on other chat clients,
    That is what makes bbm so great, I thought gtalk had great potential when it was linked to my gmail, but alas, it's usage is still very very marginal for at least my target friend/coworker group, they want MSN/BBM/facebook/twitter and that is all the contact info I hear about

10-10-10 10:48 AM
    This 9300 is my first smartphone best switch ever, that's all there is to it

10-10-10 10:54 AM
    Because retro is cool?
    10-10-10 11:10 AM
    Orrrrrrr, like me use more than BBM...I use obvious, BBM, Windows live messanger and yahoo...but, hands down the best overall I'M client is BBM...least IMO as I use other ones and don't hold a candle...

Also it is funny how Andriod/iPhone users get their panties in a bunch, mostly Tucker....least Sandman speaks truth/validating without coming off like an arsehole...

10-10-10 11:56 AM
    Gtalk has the potential yes!!
    I whole heartedly agree, a cross platform client that requires zero set up to start chatting is needed

But I can put a bb in anyones hand and they can get to chating. Unfortunately there is still a large portion of the population who doesn't understand technology,

I run into people in the workplace with blackberry's who do not even have personal email addresses, HOW do you get them on other chat clients,
    That is what makes bbm so great, I thought gtalk had great potential when it was linked to my gmail, but alas, it's usage is still very very marginal for at least my target friend/coworker group, they want MSN/BBM/facebook/twitter and that is all the contact info I hear about

My POS Nokias had Yahoo! IM and AIM. Can't get any more low tech than that. Gtalk has since been introduced & is a viable option. You don't have to be a genious to use an IM client.
    10-10-10 11:57 AM
    BECAUSE a Blackberry is what i want.
    10-10-10 12:32 PM
    [COLOR="Red"]This 9300 is my first smartphone [/COLOR
    Then you don't count, as you have nothing to compare it to.
    10-10-10 12:52 PM
    Because....... Why not??????

Thats a silly question.
    10-10-10 12:53 PM
    BECAUSE a Blackberry is what i want.
    Keep telling yourself that. Heck, I ALMOST believe you!
    10-10-10 12:53 PM
    mostly Tucker....least Sandman speaks truth/validating without coming off like an arsehole...

I'd be pissed off too if I were stuck with your phone. So I will allow that feeble attempt at an insult slide.
    10-10-10 12:56 PM
    My POS Nokias had Yahoo! IM and AIM. Can't get any more low tech than that. Gtalk has since been introduced & is a viable option. You don't have to be a genious to use an IM client.
    I think you are missing my point

You have NO email address and I give you a smartphone
    Please tell me which client you can use right away?

BBM is about the no set up, that is why it is great, and easy to get someone into, you don't need to take the time to figure out how to register and create a unique user name,

I'm not saying other clients aren't good, but bbm because of unique keys is the most simple out of the box solution.

10-10-10 02:03 PM
    I think you are missing my point

You have NO email address and I give you a smartphone
    Please tell me which client you can use right away?

BBM is about the no set up, that is why it is great, and easy to get someone into, you don't need to take the time to figure out how to register and create a unique user name,

I'm not saying other clients aren't good, but bbm because of unique keys is the most simple out of the box solution.

The answer of course is gtalk, because you sign up for (or use an existing) gmail account when they set up your android device. No setup there either.
    10-10-10 03:24 PM
    Because BlackBerry devices are awesome!
    10-10-10 05:17 PM
    and he is a very hungry troll.
    10-10-10 07:36 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD