01-23-12 11:00 PM
63 123
tools
    BlackBerry does what I want to do & the keyboard on my 9930 is great & to me is better than the touch screens phones I have played with.
    Thats the issue I am considering. I do like my keyboard.
    01-22-12 09:05 PM
    Oh, you know that it will.

There are a lot of people that don't understand that "it's a  thing" feeling that comes along with using a BlackBerry.

You know that little something that you can't quite put your finger on but you know it's there.

@OP. Before you give up on BB, try out a OS7 device. Even the new Curve delivers a great experience.
    They brought the flash back and that was a feature they should never have took away after the 8330. I sure did complain!!! What is better about OS 7 over OS 6?
    01-22-12 09:06 PM
    i was using an iphone as my daily driver before i jumped to BB. to be honest i have never used a BB at all prior to that. i bought a Bold 9000 to give it a go and for the lack of a better word, f**king surprised at how the phone works. It was only on OS 5 mind you.

1. the awesome keyboard combined with shortcuts, super productive.
    2. Bedside mode, if it is an emergency while i'm sleeping people can call my home phone, instead of waking me up at 3 in the morning.
    3. Led notification light, no need to even turn on the screen to know you have a new email
    4. Super fast email, faster than my desktop at home. I've always avoided typing emails with more than 2 sentences on my iphone.
    5. Fast app switching, hold menu button and super fast switch to other running apps. In my mind i was thinking how the .... apple took so long to get this on their ios considering how BB has that feature for so long already.
    6. Trackball for precise and fast input and selection of text. Maybe i'm just crap on touch screen but i spend like more than ten times the time needed to select text on my iphone as compared to my BB.

i never cared much for games, and i could get the apps i used frequently on my iphone on the BB anyway.

Eventually bought a Bold 9900 and never went back. I spend much lesser time on my BB than on my iphone, mainly because it was so efficient and has a physical keyboard. Which is a good thing as it leaves me with more time to actually live my life. haha.

to each their own. try both devices and weigh your priorities. see what you could live with and couldn't live without. have an open mind, plenty of good alternative platforms to consider out there. personally i was pleasantly surprised with the new windows 7.5 mango OS. great looking UI.

have fun shopping for a new phone.

Yes good points, very good points. Hmm. You know perhaps you can answer this. Is there a way on the BB to get it to play my iTunes movies? I am frustrated that I bought these movies that will not even play on my BB.
    01-22-12 09:10 PM
    Only keyboard and BBM for me. And I will move whatever it takes when the iPhone 5 comes out.
    01-22-12 09:12 PM
    If by "outgunned" you mean apps then yes they are. Let us know what "outgunned" means.

I agree with derusset. You are comparing the low end RIM product with Apple's flagship device. The new Bold is what you'd want.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-22-12 09:14 PM
    Out gunned how? Maybe smaller gunned in hardware speced. But function not so much.
    I stick with my blackberry for what I call fluid production. THe blackberry has menus with tools at my finger tips. I like the fact I hiold the menu button and switch back and forth between apps im using at the same time.
    Just to be honest I cant tell you why to stay. I dunno what experance your looking for. You have to decide what you want and who has it for you.
    01-22-12 09:35 PM
    Uhm..because its the best device around? Without RIM smartphones wouldn't be smart. IMO.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9860 using Tapatalk
    Joe.User likes this.
    01-22-12 09:40 PM
    I am thinking about moving to the iPhone in March. I like the BB but will say its outgunned by the iPhone. What are the advantages of the BB over the iPhone? I have a Curve 3G and like how it syncs the PIM data to MS Entourage and MS Outlook.

John
    This is really NOT the right time to stick to Blackberry. And it doesn't matter if you are comparing the Curve 3G or the Bold 9900 to the iPhone4S.

To answer your question the only single advantage I can think of is the notification LED which the iPhone4S will never ever have, and maybe BBM if you have a lot of friends on BBM.

My 9900 just died on me, after what seemed to be an okay experience. It started rebooting randomly during phone calls, went okay for a while, and now totally bricked.

You say you are running MS Entourage? Simple, sync your iPhone 4S with the Mac, and turn on MS Sync to make sure your Entourage is synched with everything else. Used to do this all the time without problems.

Time will tell when it will be okay to return to Blackberry, but I'm telling you- now is NOT the right time.
    01-22-12 09:44 PM
    This is really NOT the right time to stick to Blackberry.
    And why is that? Now is os7. IMO its the best os on the market right now. The 9900 and the 9860 is prolly the best devices on the market.
    True theres some larger screens and some that are better than the 9860. But when you put the whole pkg the entire devices on the line the other ones start crapping out for me.
    01-22-12 09:53 PM
    And why is that? Now is os7. IMO its the best os on the market right now. The 9900 and the 9860 is prolly the best devices on the market.
    True theres some larger screens and some that are better than the 9860. But when you put the whole pkg the entire devices on the line the other ones start crapping out for me.
    months ago i would have agreed with you.

but after experiencing two 9900s that kept on rebooting during phone calls, lags, freezes, a sad selection of apps, i went on to explore other options.

blackberry os 7 is decent at best. compared to ice cream sandwich and iOS5, it feels ancient.

but again, i am happy to see you have found the device that works for you.
    01-22-12 10:12 PM
    The Curve 9360 is THAT MUCH better than the Curve 3G? Really? Please explain..
    First look at the specs
    Dimensions 109 x 60 x 11 mm @99 g
    Screen 480 x 360 pixels, 2.44 inches (~246 ppi pixel density)
    512 MB storage, 512 MB RAM
    CPU 800MHz
    5 MP, 2592х1944 pixels, LED flash
    Battery Li-Ion 1000 mAh Up to 5 h (2G) / Up to 5 h (3G)

Dimensions 109 x 60 x 13.9 mm @104 g
    Screen 320 x 240 pixels, 2.46 inches (~163 ppi pixel density)
    256 MB RAM, 256 MB ROM
    CPU 512 MHz
    Camera 2 MP, 1600x1200 pixels
    Battery Li-Ion 1150 mAh Up to 4 h 30 min (2G) / Up to 5 h 30 min (3G)

Next OS7 is considerably better than OS5 or OS6,
    Better Browser, Better UI is smoother (and hardware accelerated)

Apps
    Browser
    Features
    Internal Memory
    Music Player

You can use a 32GB Card on a BlackBerry giving you more memory
    The Music Player is nice, BBM Music is a cool feature,

Thats the issue I am considering. I do like my keyboard.
    If you like the keyboard, it is hard to change
    13echo4 and Joe.User like this.
    01-22-12 10:20 PM
    blackberry os 7 is decent at best. compared to ice cream sandwich and iOS5, it feels ancient.
    ICS isnt out on everything yet. Im not so sure its propelling android to far into the futur. os7 isnt ancient by any means. iso5 is a joke to me. Now thats my opinion. Just the fact the 3gs can run it speaks volumes to me.
    Dont get me wrong I'm not saying BB is better or anything. Im just saying their not behind in any way form or fashion.
    Yes and thank you. BB is the better choice for me. I really hope you get your issues worked
    Last edited by 13echo4; 01-22-12 at 10:45 PM.
    01-22-12 10:39 PM
    How about getting advice and recommendations from a network advisor? I did so last year and found that I can get virtually any phone just as secure and functional as a BIS-powered Blackberry. Symbian, Windows 7, Android - you can get what you need from virtually any phone you want.

On a side, but important note, you can do the same on an iphone, but it costs a lot more. The advisors I talked with estimate at least an extra $500 to set it up for my business - made me see even more how inefficent and impractical iphones are for my business (and most people's needs).
    01-22-12 10:59 PM
    Do the iPhones with more memory cost more money? I guess they do since the iPod Touch I bought for my husband was more expensive.
    01-22-12 11:09 PM
    if you have gotten around to use the os on the playbook then you will have something to look forward to when the new playbook os comes out in february (17th supposedly). i think you should hang around for a bit.
    01-23-12 03:04 AM
    There are many advantages to not owning an iphone, and am not being biased either, these are just pure facts based from a technology perspective

- led light
    - replaceable battery (if your iphone has a faulty battery whole device needs to go for repairs)
    - expandable memory
    - security (very easy to hack the ios platform and steal sensitive data)
    - keyboard (much faster to type long messages/emails)
    - screen (screen will not shatter on any drop)
    - signal and call quality ( no antenna flaws or design issues with antenna)
    - bbm is better than any other chat application hands down
    - a USB port!!! for charging any other functionality mass storage etc
    - drag and drop in a file browser! rather than using bloaty itunes software
    - battery life is considerably better than iphone

> again as other forum members have mentioned you cannot compare an old blackberry to a latest iphone.

This is really NOT the right time to stick to Blackberry. And it doesn't matter if you are comparing the Curve 3G or the Bold 9900 to the iPhone4S.

To answer your question the only single advantage I can think of is the notification LED which the iPhone4S will never ever have, and maybe BBM if you have a lot of friends on BBM.

My 9900 just died on me, after what seemed to be an okay experience. It started rebooting randomly during phone calls, went okay for a while, and now totally bricked.

You say you are running MS Entourage? Simple, sync your iPhone 4S with the Mac, and turn on MS Sync to make sure your Entourage is synched with everything else. Used to do this all the time without problems.

Time will tell when it will be okay to return to Blackberry, but I'm telling you- now is NOT the right time.
    01-23-12 03:29 AM
    for me its a issue of loyalty, as long as RIM doesnt sell it self or go out of business, i will alway use its products
    13echo4 likes this.
    01-23-12 03:31 AM
    there used to be a lot of points why i chose bb over the iphone or android. but now the only one left is the keyboard (immesage is fantastic btw).

this is my last bb device. next hopefully an intel-powered 7th or 8th generation iphone or windows phone.
    01-23-12 06:43 AM
    You never hear anyone talk about how much they like typing on their iPhone-or any all touch device, for that matter.
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Even with my small hands, using the mushed together keys of a Bold or Curve is awful when I'm trying to type. I can fly on both my S2 v-keyboard and my iPhone's v-keyboard. I'll never go back to having a keyboard phone.
    01-23-12 08:23 AM
    There are many advantages to not owning an iphone, and am not being biased either, these are just pure facts based from a technology perspective

- led light
    - replaceable battery (if your iphone has a faulty battery whole device needs to go for repairs)
    - expandable memory
    - security (very easy to hack the ios platform and steal sensitive data)
    - keyboard (much faster to type long messages/emails)
    - screen (screen will not shatter on any drop)
    - signal and call quality ( no antenna flaws or design issues with antenna)
    - bbm is better than any other chat application hands down
    - a USB port!!! for charging any other functionality mass storage etc
    - drag and drop in a file browser! rather than using bloaty itunes software
    - battery life is considerably better than iphone
    Sorry..but many of your points are purely preferance, not technical.

-The fact the worlds fastest typing on a cellphone was done on iphone, mean the physical KB isn't "much faster".

-I'm pretty sure I can get a BB screen to break from a drop.

-While the iPHone doesn't have a USB port, that doesn't mean it can't connect via USB.

-Battery life is subject to user..but I think in most comparison's..the i4 battery life outlasts the Bold 9900.

-BBM. If you know people who use it, sure it might be good (maybe even "best"). But when you have BBM but no BBM contacts, it makes it inferior to other cross platform messaging apps.
    01-23-12 08:36 AM
    Helping your post just a bit...

-I'm pretty sure I can get a BB screen to break from a drop.
    Been there. Done that. Even with an Otterbox, I still cracked the screen on my Curve.

-While the iPHone doesn't have a USB port, that doesn't mean it can't connect via USB.
    I charge mine by USB at work. I sync my iPhone via USB at work. iPhones can be used with USB.

-Battery life is subject to user..but I think in most comparison's..the i4 battery life outlasts the Bold 9900.
    On the weekends when I don't use Sirius radio 9+ hours a day, I can go from 10AM until well past midnight on a single charge. Even using Sirius a couple hours while I'm in the barn cleaning after my horses means I'll have to charge it by 10ish at night. I've never owned a Bold, but I can attest to the fact that my iPhone does last a lot longer than my S2 ever did.

-BBM. If you know people who use it, sure it might be good (maybe even "best"). But when you have BBM but no BBM contacts, it makes it inferior to other cross platform messaging apps.
    This. It's not useful when no one else is using it.
    01-23-12 09:15 AM
    I carry two devices daily. an OS6 and an OS7 (see my signature).. daily side by side comparisons...

My 9930 is head and shoulders above all previous OS phones, even my beloved 8330. Don't know about the other OS7 devices, but my 9930 is a pretty awesome, productive and sleek device
    01-23-12 11:58 AM

-The fact the worlds fastest typing on a cellphone was done on iphone, mean the physical KB isn't "much faster".
    Last I checked, the Guiness World Record for fastest typing with a cellphone belonged to Melissa Thompson using a Galaxy S.
    01-23-12 11:58 AM
    I think anytime you compare a $200 phone(curve) to a $700 phone(iphone) you are going to find the $700 phone will be higher performance.

You may have already done this but, if not, you should try a few of the BB7 phones. They are of course a significant jump from the curve. The bold 9900 is quite the powerhouse.

I suspect if iphone offered any choice and made a $200 phone is would be easily outgunned by my 9900.
    What are you talking about, they are both 200-300 dollar phones on contract. Off contract they are both 500-700 phones.
    01-23-12 12:05 PM
    I'm not going to bash the iPhone - it's a great device for the right person. My wife loves hers, mainly because iOS makes it simple for users that don't care to tweak things. It can do more, but she doesn't want it to.

Speed is relative. I often type going down the road in a pickup. It's not the smoothest ride, and I can't use a virtual keyboard - keep hitting the wrong keys or double-pressing, especially when the phone is in the dash mount. I appreciate the tactile feedback from using a real keyboard.

I'm sure it can. But for the life of me I haven't been able to figure out how to easily get my wife's photos from her camera onto my PC. Maybe I just haven't figured out how to do it, but just google "move iPhone pictures to computer" to see it's widespread. It's always a PITA, and I had to add third-party software to do it.

If I remember correctly, the i4 battery sucked when my wife got her phone end of 2010. But an iOS update soonafter seemed to correct it. She has pretty good battery life now, better than my 9810 on 7.1.
    01-23-12 12:34 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD