What are you talking about, they are both 200-300 dollar phones on contract. Off contract they are both 500-700 phones.
    ATT lists the Curve 3G for $380, and the iPhone 4 (8GB) for $580. The 4G 16GB is $650. Only the iPhone 3GS is comparable in price, but I doubt that's the device the OP is considering.
    01-23-12 12:47 PM
    Speed is relative. I often type going down the road in a pickup. It's not the smoothest ride, and I can't use a virtual keyboard - keep hitting the wrong keys or double-pressing, especially when the phone is in the dash mount. I appreciate the tactile feedback from using a real keyboard.
    Fewer and fewer folks living to do this every day.

Whodda thunk Darwin as anti-RIMM?
    01-23-12 01:06 PM
    Keyboard, Email (corporate BES), size and feel of my 9930 an my old 8530 are the main reasons i keep my BB. The apps i do use on my blackberry are great for what I need (chase banking, blackberry traffic, sugarsync, evernotes). But I want my phone to be a phone and email device primarily, all the other stuff like apps is secondary for me.
    01-23-12 01:18 PM
    I am thinking about moving to the iPhone in March. I like the BB but will say its outgunned by the iPhone. What are the advantages of the BB over the iPhone? I have a Curve 3G and like how it syncs the PIM data to MS Entourage and MS Outlook.

John
    Not gonna lie, the iphone does bring some big guns to the table, but sometimes its not about the size of the gun but the type. IF you don't need a 50 cal to play music and movies, maybe a BB is for you?

OS 7 is a big step above the old OS'es, that is why they called it OS7 instead of OS build 6.1.001456.

IT is actually a lot more user friendly, though it has its quirks, we all know what BB is about and it does what it does well.

If you want more multimedia, then maybe it is time to step aside. I won't move until BB ends up bankrupt. Which at that time, they will probably give us three months before they close their servers allowing plenty of time to switch. Not to mention, ATT would probably do some promotion, if you had a BB you would get X amount off a new smartphone, even if you were on contract.

And to stay relevant in this topic; the iphone is expensive, as is the ipad. All new apple products are expensive. Anyway, if you want to go buy a new device, yes, you get the subsidized price that ATT pays for, but if you were to buy them out right, the iphone is more expensive. ATT charges people a bit differently depending upon which market they are in, that is why they ask for your ZIP code, but I am sure in every ZIP codethe iphone will outprice a BB Curve anything
    Last edited by crackcookie; 01-23-12 at 02:34 PM.
    01-23-12 01:21 PM
    For me it is the combination of keyboard and touchscreen (I have an 9800, soon to be upgraded to a 9810). I find you can things so much faster when you go between the keyboard and the touchscreen. I went to a Nexus S (Android) for a couple of weeks last year which is pure touchscreen phone and I absolutely hated it because it felt crippled.

Also having a physical keyboard saves you from embarassing typos.
    01-23-12 04:00 PM
    How about getting advice and recommendations from a network advisor? I did so last year and found that I can get virtually any phone just as secure and functional as a BIS-powered Blackberry. Symbian, Windows 7, Android
    Well to straighten one thing out here is that no other platform is as secure as BlackBerry, especially Android. In fact Android is so unstable and insecure that Symantec has started making and selling an Android tablet version of their Norton Internet Security. But thats a different topic.

Now BlackBerries on the other hand come with the best security out there out of the box. When you send data through your BlackBerry, that data first goes to RIM's closest server. There, any malicious files or viruses or anything of the sort is removed automatically. This data is then compressed a lot which brings up another advantage for RIM devices, the fact that you can get so much more out of your data plan because the data sent and received on your phone is all compressed by RIM in the background. So then after it is compressed, it is encrypted at possibly the highest level, meaning that even RIM itself is unable to decrypt that data. This data is then sent along to the recipient through your carrier's network where it is decrypted and the seemingly long journey that your data took is over in a matter of milliseconds. And you have more browsing that you can do with the same amount as the other platforms.

I can tell you right now with 100% certainty that no other platform has even comparable security to what RIM has. The next most secure is probably Windows Phone, but i can't tell you that with too much confidence.
    01-23-12 04:01 PM
    What are you talking about, they are both 200-300 dollar phones on contract. Off contract they are both 500-700 phones.
    Depends on the carrier.

Bold 9900
    36-month contract � $99.99
    24-month contract � $199.99
    12-month contract � $424.99
    Outright � $579.99

iPhone 4S
    16GB = $159.99 on a 36-month term
    16GB = $649.99 on a month to month plan (Outright purchase)
    32GB = $269.99 on a 36-month term
    32GB = $749.99 on a month to month plan (Outright purchase)
    64GB = $369.99 on a 36-month term
    64GB = $849.99 on a month to month plan (Outright purchase)
    01-23-12 05:22 PM
    Well to straighten one thing out here is that no other platform is as secure as BlackBerry, especially Android. In fact Android is so unstable and insecure that Symantec has started making and selling an Android tablet version of their Norton Internet Security. But thats a different topic.

Now BlackBerries on the other hand come with the best security out there out of the box. When you send data through your BlackBerry, that data first goes to RIM's closest server. There, any malicious files or viruses or anything of the sort is removed automatically. This data is then compressed a lot which brings up another advantage for RIM devices, the fact that you can get so much more out of your data plan because the data sent and received on your phone is all compressed by RIM in the background. So then after it is compressed, it is encrypted at possibly the highest level, meaning that even RIM itself is unable to decrypt that data. This data is then sent along to the recipient through your carrier's network where it is decrypted and the seemingly long journey that your data took is over in a matter of milliseconds. And you have more browsing that you can do with the same amount as the other platforms.

I can tell you right now with 100% certainty that no other platform has even comparable security to what RIM has. The next most secure is probably Windows Phone, but i can't tell you that with too much confidence.
    Nice of you to quote some statements I have made some months ago.

As I mentioned, I consulted the help of a couple of network advisors. I have learned that you can make virtually any phone as secure as a Blackberry (or even better). The only factor with this is money and/or time. Some require little to none of this while others (especially the iphone) requires a lot of this to make it secure as a Blackberry.

I currently use a BIS-powered Blackberry and the security of BIS, while better than other phones out-of-the-box, is surprisingly so-so. For instance, with emails, why doesn't Blackberry encrypt Hotmail and Gmail accounts? Every test I have done with these accounts show that they are sent and received without any encryption. Also, when you are a browsing the web, the only encryption you get is whatever the websites you visit gives you (even non-smartphones can do this).
    01-23-12 05:42 PM
    Depends on the carrier.

Bold 9900
    36-month contract � $99.99
    24-month contract � $199.99
    12-month contract � $424.99
    Outright � $579.99

iPhone 4S
    16GB = $159.99 on a 36-month term
    16GB = $649.99 on a month to month plan (Outright purchase)
    32GB = $269.99 on a 36-month term
    32GB = $749.99 on a month to month plan (Outright purchase)
    64GB = $369.99 on a 36-month term
    64GB = $849.99 on a month to month plan (Outright purchase)
    BlackBerry� Curve 9360
    36-Month contract - $29.99
    12-Month contract - $299.99
    Outright - $329.99
    01-23-12 08:51 PM
    The advantages depend on what you're looking for. If it works for you, stay. If it doesn't than find a device that does.
    01-23-12 09:16 PM
    The advantages depend on what you're looking for. If it works for you, stay. If it doesn't than find a device that does.
    Exactly. I recently dumped my 9780 due to its unreliability. 2012 and the SMS app still gets messed up (ran .706 latest OS6 release), and the battery bug is still unfixed. My 9780 would just shut down all of a sudden due to battery being "drained" when it was at 80% - appears that I'm not the only one as there had been a couple of threads in the 9780 sub-forum for which there is no fix till this date.
    01-23-12 09:47 PM
    I currently have a bold 9650 and its a vast improvement from the touch phone I was using I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of music it played and it didn't buffer as much..keyboard was nice...What I like most about my blackberry daily it does what its supposed to do and I find myself using things I never expected....Yes it works well for me that's why I get so upset when it doesn't work but a simple battery pull usually does the trick....
    01-23-12 10:05 PM
    Fewer and fewer folks living to do this every day.
    So true. LOL!!
    01-23-12 11:00 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD