I am thinking about moving to the iPhone in March. I like the BB but will say its outgunned by the iPhone. What are the advantages of the BB over the iPhone? I have a Curve 3G and like how it syncs the PIM data to MS Entourage and MS Outlook.

John
    01-22-12 02:02 PM
    I guess mine is the keyboard.
    I have owned all three devices at one point. I found that I preferred the 8330 to be honest.
    I could use it faster than the iPhones and Androids that I owned.

I guess.. Keyboard shortcuts and its unified inbox.
    up488 likes this.
    01-22-12 02:10 PM
    You have a Curve 9300,
    Compared to the iPhone 4S, you certainly are out gunned.

Please what about the iPhone do you like, so we can discuss what RIM offers to the contrary, the devices are very different.

The upgrade to a BlackBerry Curve 9360, or a BlackBerry Bold 9900 would be a night and day change from the 9300,

and so you know, I carry both the Curve 3G (9300) and the BlackBerry Bold 9900 every day.
    01-22-12 02:34 PM
    I went back to bb because of keyboard and battery issue. The rest is icing on d cake.
    01-22-12 02:38 PM
    I think anytime you compare a $200 phone(curve) to a $700 phone(iphone) you are going to find the $700 phone will be higher performance.

You may have already done this but, if not, you should try a few of the BB7 phones. They are of course a significant jump from the curve. The bold 9900 is quite the powerhouse.

I suspect if iphone offered any choice and made a $200 phone is would be easily outgunned by my 9900.
    01-22-12 02:38 PM
    since you mention having PIM syncing and such which sounds like you have BES. Is this s company issued phone?
    01-22-12 02:47 PM
    I really like the menus and multitasking with BlackBerrys. I hope this thread doesn't dissolve into another tired BlackBerry bashing session.
    01-22-12 02:57 PM
    since you mention having PIM syncing and such which sounds like you have BES. Is this s company issued phone?
    He uses MS Entourage which is an Apple product by Microsoft, I suspect that iPhones would be a supported tool if he works in a Mac environment.
    01-22-12 03:04 PM
    good point, its probably wouldnt be an issue either way
    01-22-12 03:11 PM
    If by "outgunned" you mean apps then yes they are. Let us know what "outgunned" means.
    01-22-12 03:17 PM
    BlackBerry does what I want to do & the keyboard on my 9930 is great & to me is better than the touch screens phones I have played with.
    01-22-12 03:30 PM
    I really like the menus and multitasking with BlackBerrys. I hope this thread doesn't dissolve into another tired BlackBerry bashing session.
    Oh, you know that it will.

There are a lot of people that don't understand that "it's a  thing" feeling that comes along with using a BlackBerry.

You know that little something that you can't quite put your finger on but you know it's there.

@OP. Before you give up on BB, try out a OS7 device. Even the new Curve delivers a great experience.
    13echo4 likes this.
    01-22-12 03:52 PM
    i was using an iphone as my daily driver before i jumped to BB. to be honest i have never used a BB at all prior to that. i bought a Bold 9000 to give it a go and for the lack of a better word, f**king surprised at how the phone works. It was only on OS 5 mind you.

1. the awesome keyboard combined with shortcuts, super productive.
    2. Bedside mode, if it is an emergency while i'm sleeping people can call my home phone, instead of waking me up at 3 in the morning.
    3. Led notification light, no need to even turn on the screen to know you have a new email
    4. Super fast email, faster than my desktop at home. I've always avoided typing emails with more than 2 sentences on my iphone.
    5. Fast app switching, hold menu button and super fast switch to other running apps. In my mind i was thinking how the .... apple took so long to get this on their ios considering how BB has that feature for so long already.
    6. Trackball for precise and fast input and selection of text. Maybe i'm just crap on touch screen but i spend like more than ten times the time needed to select text on my iphone as compared to my BB.

i never cared much for games, and i could get the apps i used frequently on my iphone on the BB anyway.

Eventually bought a Bold 9900 and never went back. I spend much lesser time on my BB than on my iphone, mainly because it was so efficient and has a physical keyboard. Which is a good thing as it leaves me with more time to actually live my life. haha.

to each their own. try both devices and weigh your priorities. see what you could live with and couldn't live without. have an open mind, plenty of good alternative platforms to consider out there. personally i was pleasantly surprised with the new windows 7.5 mango OS. great looking UI.

have fun shopping for a new phone.
    13echo4 and gtifreak190 like this.
    01-22-12 04:53 PM
    If by "outgunned" you mean apps then yes they are. Let us know what "outgunned" means.
    This. What exactly does outgunned mean? This is not the military, it is a phone. People get too caught up in specs that most do not use every day. Not saying everyone but most. Reminds me of "my dad can beat up your dad". Use the phone that works best for you and don't get caught up in all the marketing hype that sucks some people into buying a smartphone, automobile, etc. that they don't need.
    01-22-12 05:01 PM
    I've had an iPhone 4 for 6 months now and switched from the Bold 9650, before that I had the 8330 which I loved. I mainly switched to the iPhone for a better web browser and more app selections. Verizon hadn't released any newer, updated Blackberry phones at the time so I switched to the iPhone. Now I'm considering a Blackberry again because I liked the convenience of the keyboard, the email, and the notification light, plus now OS 7 has an improved web browser. Verizon has the new Bold 9930 and as of last Thursday, the Curve 9370.
    JoyfulHeart35 likes this.
    01-22-12 05:16 PM
    The thread topic is "why stay with BB"
    Its really up to personal preference as there is no single device thats right for everyone. If you want to try an iPhone, by all means go ahead. As for me, I enjoy the ease and speed at which I can type on my 9900. You never hear anyone talk about how much they like typing on their iPhone-or any all touch device, for that matter.
    That said, there is an app discrepancy in Apple's favor; depending on how important that is to you. For my needs and wants, BlackBerry Bold 9900 fits the bill flawlessly. For others it may be iPhone or Android. There's no wrong or right here, just preference.
    01-22-12 05:23 PM
    It would be better if you could tell us what it is about the iPhone that makes YOU want to switch and we could go from there. It's hard to guess what appeals to you about switching. For example, if it is something like retentive retina display, then you won't get it with the BB. You will get a beautiful screen, just no catchy name...
    01-22-12 05:32 PM
    I'm staying BlackBerry for now because:

LED notifications
    Keyboard
    Battery life
    Size
    Weight
    01-22-12 05:35 PM
    a lot of people make the jump from OS5 devices to iphone4 think its so much
    better not realizing they could have went with an OS7 device and been just as
    happy or Happier.
    apart from apps I can honestly say my OS7 device is better in every dept. for my
    needs.
    01-22-12 05:37 PM
    I guess mine is the keyboard.
    I have owned all three devices at one point. I found that I preferred the 8330 to be honest.
    I could use it faster than the iPhones and Androids that I owned.

I guess.. Keyboard shortcuts and its unified inbox.
    The 8330 was sluggish. My Curve 3G is much faster.
    01-22-12 08:57 PM
    You have a Curve 9300,
    Compared to the iPhone 4S, you certainly are out gunned.

Please what about the iPhone do you like, so we can discuss what RIM offers to the contrary, the devices are very different.

The upgrade to a BlackBerry Curve 9360, or a BlackBerry Bold 9900 would be a night and day change from the 9300,

and so you know, I carry both the Curve 3G (9300) and the BlackBerry Bold 9900 every day.
    The Curve 9360 is THAT MUCH better than the Curve 3G? Really? Please explain..
    01-22-12 08:58 PM
    I think anytime you compare a $200 phone(curve) to a $700 phone(iphone) you are going to find the $700 phone will be higher performance.

You may have already done this but, if not, you should try a few of the BB7 phones. They are of course a significant jump from the curve. The bold 9900 is quite the powerhouse.

I suspect if iphone offered any choice and made a $200 phone is would be easily outgunned by my 9900.
    Good point. I did not consider OS 7 or later BB phones. I will admit that the Curve 3G is very sluggish with BB App world. I wish I had not downgraded to the latest app world version as its super sluggish on my unit.
    01-22-12 09:00 PM
    He uses MS Entourage which is an Apple product by Microsoft, I suspect that iPhones would be a supported tool if he works in a Mac environment.
    Yeah I have a Mac and the BB syncs just fine with Entourage. I wonder if the iPhone would. Thats the big question.
    01-22-12 09:01 PM
    stay with it because of BBM:P
    01-22-12 09:02 PM
    Apps
    Browser
    Features
    Internal Memory
    Music Player
    01-22-12 09:04 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD