I'd like to get this thread back to the original question......why do people in general have such a negative response to RIM ?

It's marketing, pure and simple. This all started when Apple launched the first iPhone. Its clear that they needed to take out the dominant player, RIM and started a negative marketing campaign. So, we saw a series of well placed articles drolling on about RIM's old and outdated phones, geriatric technology and mysterious unknown technical problems of all sorts. After a sustained flow of this dis-information, fiction becomes reality.

I'm sure even Apple is surprised at how effective this campaign was and how quickly it caught on. Even today, I read about all sorts of "problems" with the Playbook not being able to zoom and locking up, you get the point. Remember the half-baked comments ?

So now Android is in the cross hairs. Notice all the law suites being filed by Apple ? Yup, they're next. They are going to spend a lot of time in court and lawyers offices in the next little while.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 08-08-11 at 06:33 PM.
    grimreaper420 likes this.
    08-08-11 06:31 PM
    I really do not understand why people hate on RIM so bloody much. Especially the Apple funboys.
    To be honest, I don't think RIM is a bad company. I love every mobile phone they have manufactured, well except for the Storm line. The 9000 and 9700 are my favourites.
    I hate the fact that people say RIM are dead. They are NOT dead. We should wait and see how the 9900 and the rest of the new phones perform and then we should be able to talk sh*t about them. I also hate the Apple fanboys, since the majority of them are uneducated, they are fashion victims and they can't see that there are people who actually see their phone as a "tool", rather than a toy.
    Comments like yours are the reason people hate RIM. Calling the iPhone a toy is exactly the kind of thing that makes people take a long hard look at Blackberry and realize what a load of crap comments like yours are. Take your 9900 (or whatever you are stuck with) record and edit a 4 minute video presentation, then upload it to the web. After that, record a voice memo, edit a photo and video conference with a family member. You can't do those things. Sorry. People hate RIM for their persistent arrogance in spite of superior external options (iPhone, Android).

You look at the customer satisfaction ratings, you look at the experience level, and you see Blackberry is really not where it's at. That you turn around and call superior products toys because they can do it all, it's like a guy living in a trailer park bragging about how little lawn he has to mow, it doesn't mean he's better off, it means he has less options.
    08-08-11 08:57 PM
    I love that Blackberry users have to be respectful of other devices here at Crackberry at all times or we get slammed, but other device owners can come to our fan site and let their dog's **** in our yard all day long.
    Jake Storm and MXBerry like this.
    08-08-11 09:09 PM
    I love that Blackberry users have to be respectful of other devices here at Crackberry at all times or we get slammed, but other device owners can come to our fan site and let their dog's **** in our yard all day long.
    Well, everyone's guilty of committing the act of which you speak

Sent from my Incredible
    08-08-11 09:17 PM
    All this negative stuff is ever so childish. Grow up, stop blaming each other. Nothing is perfect, nor will it ever be. There are obvious lackies between most platforms, we get it. But there is no need to bash/put down/fabricate or bully people because their device cannot do what yours can, or vice-versa. I don't even do it. if I see an android/iDevice/WinMob/Palm/symbian device or feature phone or standard (GSM only, no data) phone, I don't tell people what to do, I don't put them down or anything like that. If they like their smart/phone, then so be it. If they're satisfied, they're fine, they likely won't be complaining. If they aren't blinded by tech articles or media and used their own decisions and actually got the chance to try each device out for quite a while (30 minutes, a few hours or a few days at each carrier/supplier's store, in between the times they're closed), those people would then be able to decide what they wanted. best thing I would recommend, is save up, wait for it, then get a smart/phone and stick with it until your term is up, or if not on a contract, sell it and get a new one, or drop it off at a recycling/trade up kiosk.

Just my $0.02.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    08-08-11 09:19 PM
    I agree with EchoTango 100% and unfortunately it has spilled over from marketing to the general public, and this continuing BS about RIM is really pissing me off.
    Not one company can produce the most perfect smartphone out there, Apple has made some great phones, but so has RIM, and as a loyal customer of BlackBerry, I just know that BB has made my life so much easier with my Torch, and I sincerely hope RIM will come on strong through with their new 9900+ model lineup....also keep up the great work CrackBerry!
    08-08-11 09:21 PM
    Let's look at a broader viewpoint here. In a society that puts more focus on materialism, wealth via greed, mainstream trendiness, and media preferred in a tabloid format rather then a full informative independent delivery, is there any surprise that RIM is slagged?

iPhones have become and a status symbol for materialism in the guise of creativity/uniqueness. People flock to Apple to be trendy and fail to question anything because they want to validate their sheepish tendency. "trolls" are the result of obsessive self validation.

Media attempts to appear "mainstream" to society by appealing to these people's "validation" while neglecting their professional duty to provide unbiased information. Instead media is content with its laziness or derelict of duty and continuing the trend of creating info-tainment via tabloid sensationalism and conflict context. They've put their bet on Apple and so RIM is the enemy.

Those who "really know" the stock market made lots of money betting on the share price of RIM dropping. It was deliberate.

Sure RIM has faults, all phones do. But you wouldn't think it with all the RIM bashing that's unwarranted yet self fulfilling, as the manufactured death calls have proven.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    08-08-11 09:52 PM
    Let's look at a broader viewpoint here. In a society that puts more focus on materialism, wealth via greed, mainstream trendiness, and media preferred in a tabloid format rather then a full informative independent delivery, is there any surprise that RIM is slagged?

iPhones have become a status symbol for materialism in the guise of creativity/uniqueness. People flock to Apple to be trendy and fail to question anything because they want to validate their sheepish tendency. "trolls" are the result of obsessive self validation.

Media attempts to appear "mainstream" to society by appealing to these people's "validation" while neglecting their professional duty to provide unbiased information. Instead media is content with its laziness or derelict of duty and continuing the trend of creating info-tainment via tabloid sensationalism and conflict context. They've put their bet on Apple and so RIM is the enemy.

Sure RIM has faults and trolls, all phones do. But you wouldn't think it, or at least it matters as much as RIM's with all the RIM bashing that goes on, sometimes unwarranted yet eventually self fulfilling, as the manufactured death calls have proven.
    08-08-11 10:19 PM
    I certainly agree with your sentiment.

Apple products are the new Harley. How does a middle aged manager look "hip" to his employees and peers ? Why Apple products of course ! Hey dudes, got my new iPhone5 and the new media player really rocks ! Yeah I'm with it, I'm keeping up.....

However just like the Harley, it just doesn't quite come off, now does it......
    MXBerry likes this.
    08-08-11 11:00 PM
    Haters gotta hate. lol. Plain and simple.
    Blacklatino, MXBerry and xDAKx like this.
    08-08-11 11:23 PM
    Wow! I'm new here and this thread has shown me an interesting side of Blackberry users.

I do have the 9700 myself and it has its own shortcomings. One thing I have to say I don't stick to one brand cause I like to try new things but the level of 'fanboism' on here is shocking! I'd say about 5 or 6 people here have looked at the situation rather objectively.

Those six people have pointed what I feel about RIM. This company has dragged itself down and it is clear from the declining sales what is happening.

This business is cut-throat and is not for sissies! So, according to someone, Apple discredited RIM and the wheels started to come off? Really?

RIM thought as a business phone manufacturer the don't need to mix business with fun and to put a little of extra technology on their products and that opened them up for attack by THE COMPETITION in the form of exciting devices.

Whether we like it or not, consumers decide the fate of companies and until you marketing department along with your R&D one work together to give customers what they like you will lose.

I am still looking forward to an excellent QNX Blackberry next year but RIM has a long rocky path ahead.
    chiefbroski and Rainforrest like this.
    08-09-11 12:02 AM
    Comments like yours are the reason people hate RIM. Calling the iPhone a toy is exactly the kind of thing that makes people take a long hard look at Blackberry and realize what a load of crap comments like yours are. Take your 9900 (or whatever you are stuck with) record and edit a 4 minute video presentation, then upload it to the web. After that, record a voice memo, edit a photo and video conference with a family member. You can't do those things. Sorry. People hate RIM for their persistent arrogance in spite of superior external options (iPhone, Android).

You look at the customer satisfaction ratings, you look at the experience level, and you see Blackberry is really not where it's at. That you turn around and call superior products toys because they can do it all, it's like a guy living in a trailer park bragging about how little lawn he has to mow, it doesn't mean he's better off, it means he has less options.
    I am a blackberry fan currently operating a bold 9650 via Sprint and have been a blackberry user for years and what you say is absolutely correct. RIM IS the reason people are hating RIM.

Perhaps we should clarify who the haters are - THEY ARE CURRENT RIM CUSTOMERS, period. I'm the last individual in Mgmt at the medium sized Corporation I work for. EVERYONE but me left BB for either a droid or an iphone and those people could care less about RIM and wouldn't waste the time it would take them to pass gas to go to a blackberry forum and "hate" on RIM because to them RIM is history and they don't have the desire to even think about it.

It's people like me that don't want to see RIM continue to stuff itself into a roasting bag and slide into a pre-heated oven. I'll tell you what the problem is and why people "hate" - many of us "RIM fans" watched as the business consumer said I would to do this or that and watched as RIM said well just go by a still camera or a video camera or a scanner or a this or that.

The business world took RIM's advice and intead of buying additional equipment for their business they simply bought smartphones from two companies who actually listened to their customers.

Is there a quick deposit app YET for a BB? Not that I know of and that was "old hat" stuff last year! Have you ever been mailed a 4.5mb PDF and tried to open it on your Berry? If you had you would know you would have to email that same .pdf to a friend on a Droid or iphone to be able to open it.

Has anyone looked at the ****ty quality pictures RIM's new flagship 9900 takes?

It's reasons like this that RIM is taking heat from it's own customers - I'm one of them and I really don't want to see RIM continue to ****tt itself down the toilet. I love the keyboard, the form factor, the push email and the great battery life. RIM has all those things exactly where it needs them and what's removing them from the business world is the lack of their phones to do business - simple as that.

It's for this reason people like me come to these forums and "hate".

Joeisbitter nailed it IMHO and once people within RIM see that it's harshest critics are their own customers who want to see RIM continue in the world THEN things will get better - until then RIM is simply cuckold and can only watch and Apple and Droid to stuff to the woman that was once exclusive with RIM ( the business community ).

Paints a disturbing picture does it not! RIM sitting in a chair by the side of it's own marriage bed with it's head in it's hand as it watches it's wife ( the business sector ) howl and moan with pleasure as Droid and Apple pleasure her past what RIM was willing or able to do.

So yeah, loyal RIM customers are wondering W.T.F. happened and if it's even worth it to get yet another BB.
    darkmanx2g and chiefbroski like this.
    08-09-11 12:20 AM
    Haters gotta hate. lol. Plain and simple.
    Yeah, that is and has been the norm on here for some time now. I can remember when it was the owners of the 9000 vs. 9700, and the 8310 owners vs......each other. That was based on who had the leaked OS. So, now it's different devices and the SOS.
    08-09-11 12:36 AM
    [QUOTE=pythons;6551029

Joeisbitter nailed it IMHO and once people within RIM see that it's harshest critics are their own customers who want to see RIM continue in the world THEN things will get better - until then RIM is simply cuckold and can only watch and Apple and Droid to stuff to the woman that was once exclusive with RIM ( the business community ).

Paints a disturbing picture does it not! RIM sitting in a chair by the side of it's own marriage bed with it's head in it's hand as it watches it's wife ( the business sector ) howl and moan with pleasure as Droid and Apple pleasure her past what RIM was willing or able to do.

So yeah, loyal RIM customers are wondering W.T.F. happened and if it's even worth it to get yet another BB.[/QUOTE]

Wow, great post. You hit all points. I feel exactly the same way. They had the marketshare, they had the industry, they were the smartphone king in 2009. With all their profits and cash they didn't want to spend one dime on Research and Development. THey used the same recycled parts and call it a new blackberry.

Craig Johnston said it best it was because of their arrogance thinking they will stay on top because they didnt need to improve. I am glad this freefall happened because it forced them to change. QNX wouldve never been purchased if it wasnt for Android pushing out 1 ghz processers, 720p video, super amoled screens. They wouldve still been stuck with a rehash 624 mhz processors in 2011.
    08-09-11 02:04 AM
    I can't comment on the camera issue(s), as I don't have a camera, but I haven't had any of the other problems (black screens of death, freezing, random reboots etc.) that others have mentioned.
    Then consider yourself fortunate you got a device working smoothly for you. Others are not so lucky.

So what do you have to say about the missing calendar/task/app features which I've already embellished you with?
    08-09-11 02:39 AM
    All the above doesn't explain the Rim hate, sure, some existing owners maybe are having a bad experience or they realised their blackberry can't do something they want it to do but that means they should move on and buy something else.

It doesn't explain the hate Rim is getting at the moment, some people and media really want Rim to disappear off the face of the earth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 03:51 AM
    some existing owners maybe are having a bad experience or they realised their blackberry can't do something they want it to do but that means they should move on and buy something else.
    IF only it is as simple as "moving on and buying something else", though many have already voted with their money. Some people (like me) stick with BB for the keyboard, which is admittedly the best in the market. However it still falls short in some areas. Does this mean they should buy another phone because of these shortcomings? I stuck with my 9780 and made my own workarounds: I use a physical year planner and use Google calendars extensively on top of my BB instead of buying an iPhone/Android phone for better calendar apps because I like the keyboard.

I guess what you're saying is, that people like me who are BB users and dissatisfied with what RIM offers, should just pack up our accounts and leave this community immediately.

New BB user: Hey my BB doesn't do this. Why can't RIM...
    CB community: Shut up! Buy something else!

The only reason why I'm here making "noise" is because RIM claims that they listen to what their consumers want. If RIM fails in this aspect you can be sure I won't be wasting any time here, trying to post objectively and at the same time suffer the "troll" and "hater" accusations which the CB community love to hurl.
    08-09-11 04:10 AM
    IF only it is as simple as "moving on and buying something else", though many have already voted with their money. Some people (like me) stick with BB for the keyboard, which is admittedly the best in the market. However it still falls short in some areas. Does this mean they should buy another phone because of these shortcomings? I stuck with my 9780 and made my own workarounds: I use a physical year planner and use Google calendars extensively on top of my BB instead of buying an iPhone/Android phone for better calendar apps because I like the keyboard.

I guess what you're saying is, that people like me who are BB users and dissatisfied with what RIM offers, should just pack up our accounts and leave this community immediately.

The only reason why I'm here making "noise" is because RIM claims that they listen to what their consumers want. If RIM fails in this aspect you can be sure I won't be wasting any time here, trying to post objectively and at the same time suffer the "troll" and "hater" accusations which the CB community love to hurl.
    I agree totally with your points, however I think that there are some extreme veiws here (not yours) which dislike RIMM for reasons other than the problems that you are having, unlike your legitimate issues, these folk rarely can back up their argument with tangable issues. I've actually read much of this kind of distructive behaviour on the windows phone 7 site whilst it was in development. Unfortunately this kind of thing detracts from legitimate issues such as yours. Unlike any other platform RIMM does outreach with simulators which if "as is" OS7 together with the improved hardware will go far in silencing its critics, this is obviously the point as many are turning attention to the QNX issue. It's true that we can always send a phone back when found unsuitable for individual use but by then weve made a choice which many feel unable to go back on, had I had the courage to do it I would have changed my HD2.
    08-09-11 04:51 AM

Yeah but that's not what I'm talking about, some people really hate Rim and media too.
    Now user complaints are a different story, one user's complaint might be another's best feature, many sit at opposing ends, can't be open and secure at the same time for example, can't have a large screen and large keyboard etc.

And Crackberry is not really Rim's customer service complaints department either.

08-09-11 04:56 AM
    I think the thing that is most annoying is that the smartphone market is not like the personal computer market! These are people I live with and the choice of phone would be obvious!

Me, I text, email, BBM, Whatsapp, Twitter. I'm obviously going to go for a BB.
    She works in the music business - she could have a BlackBerry, but the iPhone 4 just works for her with iTunes and the music accesories that go with it. Another likes geeky things - he went for an Android device. Galaxy S2 to be honest and does a load of rooting! And another is a MS fan, WP7. And the final one has a prepaid Nokia with a qwerty keyboard.

I just don't see all the smartphones fitting for everyone, and I think the media needs to wake up and stop trying to say there is a global winner. I hope the market just eases out to an near equal share so that the media can stop! But that's probably wishful thinking!

Oh and, RIM - with the reserves they have. I would bet anything they will still be here in 2013.
    08-09-11 05:01 AM
    I think it�s just the behaviour of RIM, for instance I love BlackBerrys, I�ve used them for about six years now. But I can't stand RIM or the CEOs.
    I hate the way they are always lacking in some areas and complete lack of respect they pay to the user/fan base i.e. lack of podcasts and news app in the UK, no UK support line or email, slow launches of devices, inability to execute plans, releasing of half finished devices).

When you look at the decisions they make, the way they behave and the seemingly half-arsed nature of everything they do (not to mention to half truths from the CEOs in press conferences) they just look amateurish and feeble, the free market is a survival of the fittest environment and the feeble loose out.

I respect that the two CEOs got the company to a strong position but they are just no good anymore, I would love to see wholesale changes at the top.

Love BB, Hate RIM.
    08-09-11 05:12 AM
    It's not just RIM. It's "Why so much hate? RIM here on Crackberry is just another place for oppressed, ignorant, mislead people to express it.
    08-09-11 05:14 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not just RIM. It's "Why so much hate? RIM here on Crackberry is just another place for oppressed, ignorant, mislead people to express it.
    People have legitimate gripes with RIM, its just that RIM don't listen to the needs/concerns of customers so people have to express it hear, unless the person is clearly a troll its a shame to discount their opinions as ignorant, in fact its very Apple like!
    08-09-11 05:17 AM
    People have legitimate gripes with RIM, its just that RIM don't listen to the needs/concerns of customers so people have to express it hear, unless the person is clearly a troll its a shame to discount their opinions as ignorant, in fact its very Apple like!
    Fair enough but Crackberry is not Rim's forum is it?

08-09-11 05:40 AM
    Watch this for some uncalled hatred from CNET:

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

I mean really? I wonder when was the last time she held a blackberry.

08-09-11 05:48 AM
109 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD