I don't get why phone makers do this. RIM, Samsung, Motorola, LG, HTC etc etc have literally dozens of phones all running the same OS. Then you have Apple, which has but one iPhone. Why is everyone but Apple taking this approach? I don't own any Apple products but I can't help but think it makes more sense to pour all your resources into concentrating on one hardware platform than a bunch of hardware versions of the same product, fragmenting your product line into a tech support nightmare.
    01-18-12 10:32 AM
    If everyone thought that way we all be driving the same kind of car, living in the same kind of house wearing the same kind of cloths....No thank you..
    SnoozerBold and _StephenBB81 like this.
    01-18-12 11:01 AM
    Apples Model is unique,
    They have a following like few other company's
    They focus on making a singular device, and market it so it is the must have, which has worked for them.

The Competition must offer different things, I for one do not want an iPhone, I don't care what OS was on it, iOS, Android, BB10, WP7, WebOS, doesn't matter I would not want the iPhone hardware.

People are different and want different things, Not everyone loves the Ford F150 Raptor, so Ford Makes different models.
    Even Rolls Royce doesn't only make a single model
    undone likes this.
    01-18-12 11:05 AM
    I like having different options. Although I almost always go with the Bold anyways there are people that will always go with the torch or Curve.
    01-18-12 11:08 AM
    Let's get real here, there's very miniscule differences between the different iterations of android phones released within a few months of each other by the same manufacturer. It's nothing more than targeting those who MUST have the most recent gimmick. It's little more than an arms race between competitors. There's no catering to the customer going on here. There certainly is a lot of confusion and screwed up (lack of) tech support though.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-18-12 11:36 AM
    If everyone thought that way we all be driving the same kind of car, living in the same kind of house wearing the same kind of cloths....No thank you..
    Yeah I think you misunderstood what he meant by "one hardware platform." He's not saying everyone should make the same phone, but rather that each manufacturer should consider focusing on fewer models. So, to update your analogy, it's not really the same car, but rather instead of Toyota building 15 models maybe they build 3. However, there would still be other cars from other manufacturers.

The Competition must offer different things, I for one do not want an iPhone, I don't care what OS was on it, iOS, Android, BB10, WP7, WebOS, doesn't matter I would not want the iPhone hardware.
    Again, he didn't claim everyone should build the iPhone or an iPhone-like model, but rather that the different platforms really don't need a high number of models. So, there would still be multiple different types of devices, but instead of 10 RIM models they might do two (one with a physical keyboard, one without).

People are different and want different things, Not everyone loves the Ford F150 Raptor, so Ford Makes different models.
    Even Rolls Royce doesn't only make a single model
    True, but again, no one is claiming everyone should make an iPhone. You've offered some very effective rebuttals to an argument that the OP didn't make.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-18-12 11:38 AM
    I don't get why phone makers do this. RIM, Samsung, Motorola, LG, HTC etc etc have literally dozens of phones all running the same OS. Then you have Apple, which has but one iPhone. Why is everyone but Apple taking this approach? I don't own any Apple products but I can't help but think it makes more sense to pour all your resources into concentrating on one hardware platform than a bunch of hardware versions of the same product, fragmenting your product line into a tech support nightmare.
    It's kind of a double whammy. They're all competing against Apple, but none are ever going to best the iPhone with an iPhone-like unit. So, they come out with features that they try to convince the consumer are better than the iPhone. Most of the time, there are 2-5 models out for any given phone maker. Because they're all competing with each other. So, each time someone brings out a phone that has a new feature, the competition starts the EOL process for one model to add its successor with a new feature to compete. Marketing trumps tech support. You don't need tech support if you're not selling phones.
    01-18-12 12:04 PM
    Yeah I think you misunderstood what he meant by "one hardware platform." He's not saying everyone should make the same phone, but rather that each manufacturer should consider focusing on fewer models. So, to update your analogy, it's not really the same car, but rather instead of Toyota building 15 models maybe they build 3. However, there would still be other cars from other manufacturers.

No I understood what he wrote. So buy your quote in bold if the car manufacture just made three types of cars then that doesn't leave much choice does it. lets face it Henry Ford did not invent the automobile, he was the first to mass produce it & in doing so you could have any color you wanted as long as it was black. We all know that didn't last long cause the consumer wanted more. But Henry sold a chit load of black car.

Consumers want choice and manufactures are there to give it to them.
    Last edited by RoseBud68; 01-18-12 at 12:53 PM.
    01-18-12 12:09 PM
    its simple. old school thoughts. the idea of choice is not really being given in the android world at all. people see it as choice but the os is the same on the devices with a different skin. its just slightly different hardware and when you get down to it it makes sense to make 1 good one. why bother making one with a slightly worse camera to save 20 bucks. people will get sucked in and save the cash but then they trash talk the product when they compair it to others. its the same as cars. 5 different models all bassed on the same platform. apple saves huge in manufacturing in their system. only differences is storage. to shut down a production line and resetup for the next item is money lost.

i know that some/lots of people dont want to have something thats the same as everyone else, look to all the bs about the iphone 4s, all the complaining that it still looks the same. i dont remember people complaining so much when they went from the 3g to the 3gs.

i mean i the end its just a case to hold a screen.

wow i need to put the playbook down until second cup of coffee.

i will say this. im glad they are all not the same. but i think some companies do have too many models, maybe rim included
    01-18-12 12:25 PM
    I dont know about this one.

I like my 9900.Got my wife a 9860 and she loves that. So does everyone like the same thing? No. Choice is good.

But RIM can definitely rationalise their model lineup. Since its becoming a war of ecosystems RIM has to appeal to the developers as well and so many models make it complicated for the devs. A balance needs to be achieved between choice for customers and ease for developers.

@deRusset,
    So since you don't like iPhone type hardware, I guess the BB10 phone would be not on your purchase list this year?
    01-18-12 01:04 PM
    Why not? Why limit your profit line to a single unit? Short of a cult following, its better to offer a wide spectrum of choices to customers. Usually its done in a monetary sense to try to capture revenue from the low end to the high end.

If everyone had to pay the market value for their phones vs the sub'ed price, I think you'd see less high end phones.
    01-18-12 01:29 PM
    @The OP - It is a matter of time.

Fact is, what not many are recognizing, Hardware is most likely dead. You cannot update it, and software has become too powerful and too easy to develop and deploy, for hardware to compete with it. The whole purpose of hardware, at least in the short-medium term will be to allow the software to be as flexible as possible. This will become readily apparent in 2 years, when I wouldn't be surprised if every "phone" looked the same (slab of glass).

The only exception to this, however, is if someone creates hardware that can be "updated" remotely, without having to dispose of the device, or makes it really cheap to make/replace, so people can replace their hardware every few months. Maybe if 3D printers get really popular, this may happen too. Otherwise, HW is just an impediment.
    01-18-12 01:36 PM
    They are targeting customers with different paying capacities. If I can't buy a Samsung Galaxy S II, maybe I'll buy the (lower end) Galaxy Y and hopefully get some of the Galaxy line's features.

The Economist is probably going to jump on this, but Apple somewhat does this too: discount the older hardware models when the newest comes out.
    01-18-12 01:54 PM
    I dont know about this one.

I like my 9900.Got my wife a 9860 and she loves that. So does everyone like the same thing? No. Choice is good.

But RIM can definitely rationalise their model lineup. Since its becoming a war of ecosystems RIM has to appeal to the developers as well and so many models make it complicated for the devs. A balance needs to be achieved between choice for customers and ease for developers.

@deRusset,
    So since you don't like iPhone type hardware, I guess the BB10 phone would be not on your purchase list this year?
    The First BB10 device will not be on my shopping list for sure, also if the first BB10 QWERTY device is made without a removable Battery I will be waiting until October 2013 to buy it as that is when I would get it near free on contract, it would not be worth it to me to buy it full price as my 9900 / PB pair are wonderful.

as for Devices, Apple can Pull the Single iPhone,
    RIM could not pull off the Single Qwerty
    Nor Could Samsung only make the Galaxy S.
    Nor Motorola Just the Razr.

People want Variety which was what I was saying in my first post. I wasn't saying everyone should make an iPhone, or implying that is what the OP was saying, I was saying that Business model doesn't work for everyone.

How many different Laptop models does Dell make? (Heck even Apple makes a variety)
    How many different Television models does LG make?
    How many different Dish washers does Whirlpool make?
    Even the iPod had various form factors. it is only the iPhone / iPad that pull off a single form factor to hit the masses,

RIM SHOULD have
    Full QWERTY Premium (They'd be the primary manufacturer for this form factor)
    Full QWERTY Entery level ( This could compete with the low cost competitors and the budget market)
    Full Touch Premium ( This is the "Me too" product, as it is also the hottest selling model)
    Fulll Touch Entery level ( This competes with the low cost competitors, Builds the volumes, and gives a good product for NON Roman alphabet cultures)
    Mid Level Sliders, ( Cross over product between Premium touch/ Premium qwerty)

Right there they have 5 models just to cover their biggest markets, and keep their identity.
    I'd like to see them revive the Style and the Pearl form factors, as I feel both have a place in the market if not given exclusivity, and if geared to specific customers.
    01-18-12 02:00 PM
    @deRusset,
    Yea with what has been showcased for the PB OS 2.0, the 9900 would be the best phone to have around. A physical QWERTY which allows data input into the PB is great.

Buying an All touch BB10 device is more of the PB. I would just get it for the gadget value. I would keep my 9900 around.
    01-18-12 02:06 PM
    I don't know! I could go both ways on this one I suppose, although I do like choice.
    01-18-12 02:06 PM
    I have always hated the pearl , but this thread just illustrates what has been said over and over and what RIM has done. Many choices, many models. I hope they will be limiting their future model numbers when the newest devices drop. If 10+ people in this thread disagree on the point, what about the rest of the mobile device users?
    01-18-12 02:39 PM
    I have always hated the pearl , but this thread just illustrates what has been said over and over and what RIM has done. Many choices, many models. I hope they will be limiting their future model numbers when the newest devices drop. If 10+ people in this thread disagree on the point, what about the rest of the mobile device users?
    I too hated the Pearl, but know people who LOVED it, and cling to it not wanting to give it up even though they could do so much more with their phones.

One friend of mine says she wishes she could get a New Pearl that was as thin as my phone (9900) with 16GB onboard storage, and a MicroDoodad(USB) slot so she could put all her music on it for Running, all the current popular phones are too big to fit in a sports bra.
    01-18-12 02:43 PM
    I agree. There will always be those who do not want what you are using and the same thing goes for us as well. That is why RIM makes so many models with the same OS. The question keeps getting asked. Same as choosing what platform you are going to run, or what glass is the best for your photography needs.
    01-18-12 02:52 PM
  20. T
    Somebody mentioned a BlackBerry smartphone with a non-removable battery. Why would RIM stick it to the consumer like this? I mean, has it been made known that BB10 will have this? A non-removable battery is one of the several reasons I would never want an iPhone.
    01-18-12 03:02 PM
    Somebody mentioned a BlackBerry smartphone with a non-removable battery. Why would RIM stick it to the consumer like this? I mean, has it been made known that BB10 will have this? A non-removable battery is one of the several reasons I would never want an iPhone.
    With the quest for the thinner and thinner phones and devices like the Moto Razr Maxxxx and it's 3300 mAh battery, RIM may make the decision to compete with the thinness spec and make the BB10 phone with a non removable battery, this is speculation but by making the device have a non removable battery they can decrease the thickness by 1.5mm or so, whilst increasing the battery size slightly, I wouldn't want this to happen, but could see a round table discussion happening to make it happen to be "more competitive"
    01-18-12 03:45 PM
    With the quest for the thinner and thinner phones and devices like the Moto Razr Maxxxx and it's 3300 mAh battery, RIM may make the decision to compete with the thinness spec and make the BB10 phone with a non removable battery, this is speculation but by making the device have a non removable battery they can decrease the thickness by 1.5mm or so, whilst increasing the battery size slightly, I wouldn't want this to happen, but could see a round table discussion happening to make it happen to be "more competitive"
    The mainstream consumers would finally dumb down BB
    01-18-12 04:03 PM

as for Devices, Apple can Pull the Single iPhone,
    RIM could not pull off the Single Qwerty
    Nor Could Samsung only make the Galaxy S.
    Nor Motorola Just the Razr.
    RIM could make a single QWERTY and just use the Apple Model. The Bold 9780 could be very cheap on contract with the Bold 9900 being their premium QWERTY. They could have one All-Touch device in the Torch. The only concessions that would need to be made is the cell radio for different carriers, but they can counter that by just putting CDMA+Pentaband GSM in all their phones and letting the carriers lock the bands. They could afford that because they'd save a ton in R&D from not having to develop so many other models. Also manufacturing costs of the other models.

I don't know many Curve Users who would pass up a Bold that is almost on par with the newest curved in hardware specs, provided they actually supported the device like Apple does (iOS 5 all the way back to the 3GS, FTW?).

Samsung could do the same with the Galaxy S. In fact, it would be extremely beneficial to them when it comes to updating the devices. That would be a pure win for them, and literally every other Android carrier that currently fragments their own line.

Motorolla could do the same.

All those companies can do that, however, Android Manufacturers love to make extra cash by forcing upgrades for updates and better hardware and RIM, well... is just RIM.

This would help RIM quite a bit actually, at least from a developer support standpoint. BB Is one of the most ridiculous platforms to develop for at this point. Having so many device models and OS versions in use has cause more destructive fragmentation than even Android is experiencing. There are still a ton of people using devices with FW 5.x on it, nevermind 6.x nad 7.x...
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-18-12 at 04:36 PM.
    01-18-12 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD