I've been a BlackBerry user for many years now, and I'm seriously considering switching to the iPhone 3G-S. My best friend always had an iPhone from the first model, and I always liked my BB better until he upgraded from iPhone 3g to the iPhone 3G-S. I'm a Bold user (running the latest software), and we're on the same network. It will do all the crap my Bold can do, and more, with the exception of BBM. He also gets a better signal than I do, even if we'r in the same room. After being loyal to bb and defending bb for so long (and iPhone bashing), I kinda feel guilty about wanting to switch. Why shouldn't I upgrade to the iPhone 3G-S? Please convince me.
    10-05-09 02:34 PM
    I've been a BlackBerry user for many years now, and I'm seriously considering switching to the iPhone 3G-S. My best friend always had an iPhone from the first model, and I always liked my BB better until he upgraded from iPhone 3g to the iPhone 3G-S. I'm a Bold user (running the latest software), and we're on the same network. It will do all the crap my Bold can do, and more, with the exception of BBM. He also gets a better signal than I do, even if we'r in the same room. After being loyal to bb and defending bb for so long (and iPhone bashing), I kinda feel guilty about wanting to switch. Why shouldn't I upgrade to the iPhone 3G-S? Please convince me.
    I own both devices. I've been a BB user for 2 1/2 years. I got my iPhone 3GS
    a month ago or so. If I could only keep one, I'm keeping the iPhone. No question.
    10-05-09 02:36 PM
    they offer insurance on the iphone 3gs, and if you buy at bestbuy, then you can purchase a buyer protection plan too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-09 03:07 PM
    No point in keeping the bold if you're not happy. Switch.

10-05-09 03:15 PM
    I am a non-business user and I will switch out of my BB to an iPhone. The only thing stopping me is AT&T. I just don't like AT&T.

The number one thing going for BB is the push-email. Honestly, the push email, I think is old stuff. It was a big deal when data was slow and data phones were limited in capability. I see the importance for business, but for personal use, pull email is fine for me.
    10-05-09 03:19 PM
    Grass is always greener! Apps get boring fast, internet is good, functionality is dependant on jailbreaking, and people have them cause they can join the 'I'm cool with an apple product' brigade.

10-05-09 03:31 PM
    It's not just the cool factor anymore. It's the market trend. You can say the same for BB, the push email thing to show off to your friends.

I attended an Apple iPhone Apps conference last week in Utah. I was supprised to learn how many universities have adopted the iPhone/iTouch for productivity use. Leading the charge is Stanford. Stanford has an iPhone Apps Development course now as part of the requirements for computer majors. Many universities are following the trend.
    10-05-09 03:38 PM
    It's not just the cool factor anymore. It's the market trend. You can say the same for BB, the push email thing to show off to your friends.

I attended an Apple iPhone Apps conference last week in Utah. I was supprised to learn how many universities have adopted the iPhone/iTouch for productivity use. Leading the charge is Stanford. Stanford has an iPhone Apps Development course now as part of the requirements for computer majors. Many universities are following the trend.
    Especially because it's not such a PITA for developers to create iPhone apps
    since they're creating one for essentially one OS.

Developers for Blackberry's gotta make theirs for the different versions of OS's.
    10-05-09 03:44 PM
    AT&T's network sucks. iPhone users are choking it. An iPhone is a bandwidth hog.
    This argument is already getting old.
    10-05-09 03:45 PM
    The iPhone 3GS now has push email, just the BlackBerry. Furthermore, i'm not, nor have i ever been, part of the "i wanna be cool with an iphone" brigade because i always believed the bb was a better product, and the iphone never had he messaging capabilites of a blackberry, but now it does, and then some. and im not unhappy with my bold, i love it to death. i am a real blackberry user (for a long time), and i believe that the 3gs is a better product at this point. it truly saddens me to say all this, but ive found, on my own (no influence), that its just better. has anyone who used the storm 2 convinced its better than the new iphone?

10-05-09 04:00 PM
    ummm, dude, this is the crackberry forums. there are people viewing this message with a storm 2 right now.

10-05-09 04:10 PM
    I read about many good improvements for the Storm 2, but I don't think still will change the trend. I think the Storm 2 will be upgrade choice for existing BB users only.
    10-05-09 04:10 PM
    Why shouldn't I upgrade to the iPhone 3G-S? Please convince me.
    swappable/upgradable battery
    10-05-09 04:19 PM
    I noticed a couple of posts about the BlackBerry having push email. This is no longer anything special. All modern smart phones (iPhone, Palm Pre, WinMo, Android) have push email. In fact, they support push email without the need for anything else running, like BES, and support syncing all folders, not just the inbox, so I don't consider this a reason to stick with your Bold.

As for the security advantages of a BlackBerry. Well, over the Internet, non-BB phones use the same ubiquitous technology (SSL/TLS) as banks use for online banking, so I think you are probably OK there. Other devices besides the BlackBerry (like the iPhone and WinMo phones) offer device encryption and remote-wipe capabilities as well, so again, you aren't really losing anything by giving up your Bold.

The one thing the Bold has that the iPhone doesn't is a physical keyboard, so make sure that is something you are comfortable with.
    10-05-09 04:32 PM
    Sorry, but it's true:

Happy iPhone Customers Limit their Love to Apple - PC World

Poll Technica: iPhone dropped calls�is 30% normal? Defensible? - Ars Technica

Oh, and when Adobe announced their new flash version for mobile phones guess who the only phone maker to refuse to allow it on their phones was? Apple.

Apple Slams the Door on Adobe Flash - Business Center - PC World
    It's not "true" because they're all opinions. All I'm saying is that that argument
    is getting old.
    10-05-09 04:47 PM
    It's not "true" because they're all opinions. All I'm saying is that that argument
    is getting old.
    Well said. Just because someone says so in an article, or someone in X town says so, doesn't mean it's universally true. AT&T, where I live, is rock solid. 3G is awesome.I never have dropped calls. I have coverage in the middle of the hospital where I work while those on Verizon do not. I am not going to say a negative thing about Verizon because they are solid in lots of other places. Get what works for you.
    10-05-09 05:11 PM
    I just sold my iphone 3gs. Reason? The multitasking. I never thought I really multitasked, but I guess I do. Other than that,and the physical keyboard;I loved it. Now I'm going to just buy me an itouch and wait for next years release. Give me an iphone with a keyboard and a notification light and I'm happy.

So.... Guess I will wait and see for next year.

10-05-09 09:52 PM
    Did the 3GS fix the Bluetooth issue, I have friends with iphone 3G and they can't get Bluetooth tones or pics from me, they can sink up but not receive, did iphone fix that?

10-05-09 10:36 PM
    I think you should get the phone you like. I love my bb. My dd has an iphone, don't like it at all. Different strokes for different folks.
    10-06-09 12:11 AM
    I am thinking about making the switch back to BB. You don't realize how much you miss the little things like the LED light, multi-tasking, overall customization and full QWERTY keyboard. If I switch back to BB, I definitely will miss the Safari browser. Oh, I am sure that I could get some nice coin for my 3GS

I just sold my iphone 3gs. Reason? The multitasking. I never thought I really multitasked, but I guess I do. Other than that,and the physical keyboard;I loved it. Now I'm going to just buy me an itouch and wait for next years release. Give me an iphone with a keyboard and a notification light and I'm happy.

So.... Guess I will wait and see for next year.

10-06-09 04:51 AM
    what about 10,(ten) 'push emails' on the BB !!!, no other phone including iphone can do this. Loads of people including me have at least one generic web based email and one domain based email.

and there's the qwerty vs virtual keyboard question, which I believe is a purely personal preference.
    10-06-09 07:52 AM
    Hi,
    I was in the same boat back in june. I had my favorite phone i always wanted. the BOLD and next i wanted an Iphone. I got a really good 2g Iphone on ebay cheap but i wanted to get the newer "cooler" Iphone 3g(even though i cant get 3g with it cause im on tmobile) so i traded my BOLD for a iphone 3g. LOVED IT!

now, i just sold my 3g, and bought a BOLD again. i Missed it like you cant believe. I am sorry but the Iphone is awesome but for messaging and email, and push, cant beat a BB. Thats my opinion.

so,if you can, keep the bold and buy a 3g or 3gs. I am very happy to have both for sure. i am sure that i will switch back and forth for sure.

hope that helps!
    10-06-09 08:44 AM
    10 email addressess
    10-06-09 09:14 AM
    I would get the iPhone. I was a long time BB user too, but the iPhone just suited me better. I am more into multimedia now than I have ever been and there isn't a device that can touch the multimedia capabilities of the iPhone. I also passed on the first two generations of the iPhone because it was missing very important features that I needed (GPS, MMS, video recording, copy and paste). But the 3GS has those plus all of the features that the iPhone was superior at. It is definitely the phone to get. By the way, I really enjoy AT&T. I have been with Verizon and Sprint and neither was better than AT&T in my opinion.
    10-06-09 04:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD