I pay 17 Euro a month for a BIS account with unlimited bandwidth and what I get is a a slow internet access and that Push Email (which you can get through a 3rd party application on iphone).

What is this deal that I put my self into ?

Yes it is true that I like emails, MSN, AIM, Yahoo messenger, Facebook, Twitter etc, But I could get these things with a regular account.....

I did something wrong with blackberry.......

What do you think?
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 03-24-10 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Profanity
    03-24-10 01:53 PM
    I think cussing is not needed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-10 01:54 PM
    I am pretty sure that BIS is required. I don't think there is another way to get what you want on the BB.
    03-24-10 01:56 PM
    No one is gunna tell you why you should choose BIS, its a personal decision you make. If you dislike the internet so much on your blackberry its as simple as buying another device.

It looks like you already made up your mind, why make more useless threads?
    03-24-10 02:01 PM
    Thanks guys.

I am wondering what makes BIS so different than a regular connection that is running a couple of extra 3rd party apps...

Make me wrong but I could enjoy my MSN, WLM, AIM, Twitter etc without that BIS. Here we talk people. We share interests about gadgets.

And you are so right xseri.the issue here is as simple as buying another device.

On the other hand I am on the pay-roll you know, and I pay bills. I am not a millionaire. But even if I can afford buying another device, I don't want to find my self as a smart phones collector wit a bank account burning.

Take care...
    03-24-10 02:14 PM
    The big question is cost. Can you get a "normal" unlimited internet access plan for your 9700 instead of BIS, and will it actually be cheaper? Or is it worth it to get an entirely different phone?

I myself am happy without a BIS plan, but I have unlimited direct tcp/ip. This means no BBM, stock IM apps, and VVM, but there's third party solutions for the latter two. I never cared about BBM.
    03-24-10 02:40 PM
    Hi CharredPC. Does this mean that I can not run multiple Messenger Accounts (e.g Hotmail and AIM) together with emails without BIS ?

Thanks
    03-24-10 03:00 PM
    BIS is required because most of the data that goes through your phone goes through RIM's servers.
    03-24-10 03:02 PM
    bis is a must for me. either i get internet on my smartphone or i don't get it at all and decide to get some cheap flip phone. i have no idea why people buy smartphones like blackberry if they don't plan on using the internet. without internet services, the smartphone is useless. you are better off carrying a slim netbook around if you think like this.
    03-24-10 03:56 PM
    Since your have poor English, I can only assume that your phone carrier may or may not require you to have BlackBerry Internet Service.

If you so chose to have it, then you can use all of the BlackBerry features such as email, messages, etc. Without it, its just a calendar for appointments and notes and all the little things it can do while not connected to your carriers servers.
    03-24-10 04:12 PM
    The only feature that I am aware of BIS using, is the
    'Pushed Emails'. Anything more than that (e.g MSN, AIM, Yahoo Messenger Twitter etc, is plain internet connection with the help of a 3rd party app, and this can work on any device.

As of my poor English, I am sorry mate. I can understand and this is enough....

Ale voua
    03-24-10 06:55 PM
    Hi CharredPC. Does this mean that I can not run multiple Messenger Accounts (e.g Hotmail and AIM) together with emails without BIS ?

Thanks
    Not sure exactly what you're talking about. Maybe this will help- here's a rundown of my experience on the 9700 with a standard tcp/ip data plan, not BIS:

1. Everything in the Instant Messaging folder (Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk, AOL Instant Messenger, ICQ, and BlackBerry Messenger) does not work. I prefer running a single app instead of several anyway, so use Beejive and love it. Many BIS users also choose this option.

2. Visual Voice Mail does not work. However, there's a free third party app called Youmail Visual Voicemail which does everything the stock system does and more. Been very pleased with it. Again, even BIS users prefer Youmail.

3. BlackBerry App World gave me some issues at first (installed, but no icon). This was solved after I updated to .545 and reinstalled App World from an OTA link. Now it works 100%. Not everyone cares about this, but certain apps can only be acquired via App World, so it's good to have.

4. BlackBerry Maps' icon is hidden. Using a launcher, I can run it but it cannot get any data without BIS... so it ends up being a useless GPS-locked dot with no map background. However, most BIS users agree that Google Maps is far superior, and is a perfectly working free alternative.

5. Be(rry)Weather, both Free and pay versions, will not use a direct tcp/ip connection even though it lists the option under Settings. Their support doesn't seem to care. So instead I use BBWeather, and it works quite well.

As far as anything else- I don't use Facebook, but I assume that the stock app doesn't work. The BB browser, Opera, iHeartRadio, Urbanspoon, Kindle, Bolt, Poynt, Pandora, Gmail, etc, all work perfectly. So I don't feel like I'm missing much. In fact, when people complain about how BIS is down or slow, I smile and keep surfing.

Of course, this isn't a viable solution for everyone. A lot of carriers insist you have a BIS data plan if you use a BlackBerry with them. And sometimes the standard generic "unlimited data" plan is about the same cost anyway. I save about $15 per month by not having BIS, and haven't once wished I had it. It just depends on your carrier, the pricing, and what's right for you. If you must have BBM, then you must get the BIS account. I never cared, as I only know two other people with BB's, and have four or more ways to communicate with them on my phone already (calling, email, texting, IM). For many, this would be the deal-breaker. But if you don't want BBM, you might have the opportunity to save some cash by skipping BIS altogether. Hope this helps!
    03-24-10 10:00 PM
    That is right CharredPC.

Nobody here could argue in favor of the BIS service. NOBODY.

We come to the conclusion that the premium you pay for a Blackberry 9700, over a standard NOKIA or Sony-Erickson phone, is the premium you pay for a Mercedes, or BMW car over a Honda or FIAT.

I don't care that I paid extra money to aquire a blackberry for use primarily for surfing the internet on the go. I was allured by the description:

"Buy a Blackberry and get unlimited internet connection..."

This is half of the truth if they narrow your connection down to 3 kbps.

and you have to go through a proxy which compresses the data and sends it to you back....

Another experience.
    03-25-10 03:34 AM
    While you can get Push services on the iPhone, there is no actual app that provides it free of charge. There are Services which have apps to make use of it, but you still have to pay for those services (ie...MobileMe). There is no App that magically receives push notifications/emails... a server somewhere has to provide that.

As well, if you wish to fore-go push services and go with a carrier that will allow internet use with unlimited minutes without a data plan, your transfer speeds will be much lower than what you are already complaining is slow.

Go get yourself a Nokia or Erikson dumbphone with a non-data plan, and run it head to head against any smartphone with a dataplan, and see what happens.
    03-25-10 04:13 AM
    I pay 17 Euro a month for a BIS account with unlimited bandwidth and what I get is a a slow internet access and that Push Email (which you can get through a 3rd party application on iphone).

What is this deal that I put my self into ?

Yes it is true that I like emails, MSN, AIM, Yahoo messenger, Facebook, Twitter etc, But I could get these things with a regular account.....

I did something wrong with blackberry.......

What do you think?
    why would you want a third party app for push email, when bb does that instantly? and where do you think iphone (and other phone manufacturers) got the idea of push email from in the first place??

if you did something wrong with blackberry, go to iphone, and stop whining here.
    03-26-10 10:02 PM
    How much money will you save a month without it?

Do you travel much? Because when I go abroad (often) to a remote location other people from my country with non BB smartphones AND roaming data plans FAIL to get internet and push email whilst I carry on surfing happily.

I don't know what you pay but I pay 30 a month for 600 minutes, 1000 texts and unlimited BB features which means internet, BB messenger and push email and I got the phone free. Maybe there would be a way of saving a few quid but I'd rather pay for the PREMIUM service, or BMW over the Fiat as you put it.

I just want a phone that works right from the get go with no need to mess about installiing apps and logging on to check emails via a flakey browser. My time is worth more than that hassle for the sake of a few quid a month; I don't think the value of BIS is in question, just the value of your time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-10 10:26 PM
    to the OP: it's up to you, but i would wait another month or so, the browser is being updated to a webkit one, after that, general slowness of internet can be put down to your carrier network signal (if the problem still persists).

i just switched to BB myself & overall i'm loving it, just a tad dissapointed in it's antenna / reception - HOWEVER - i like to email / text more than calls, & having push email saves time when you do get signal as it appears soon as.

think of it this way - on a conventional phone you'd have to go looking for your email, but you could be traveling in/out of good signal. frustrating. BB sends it you soon as you have signal, saving you this hassle.

also, BB is now appeallng to different people, it's on pre-pay, people are hearing about BBM & it's social networking features.

not sure why people are thinking BIS would also get them flawless unlimited internet, you still need to pay for data & your signal can still be pants. i think you should have the option not to use it but some operators block some ports, forcing you towards BIS anyway. i've seen reports that people can do it but also some that can't. i just bit the bullet & added BIS.

argument should be directed at the carrier rather than BB / BIS
    03-27-10 07:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD