Although it has been reported that sales of BB Z10 had been strong, I just can't understand why there are so few Z10s to go around. I have checked my local carrier phone store (Telus) and they say they only get a few phones a day. Tough luck if have to go to work in the morning and by 3 to 4pm when you are free to go to hunt for these Z10s , its all sold out and you gotta come the next day to try again. They wont allow you to reserve one in store for the next day.
    I think BlackBerry missed this big opportunity to cash in on their current red hot popularity with this new Z10 and wonder if the situation will be better by next week.
    02-06-13 07:50 PM
    I had the same problem at Telus. Went to the store to get one at 3pm yesterday and got the "last one". So, I suggested sales must be really going well. The salesperson told me they actually only received 10 in store for sale.
    02-06-13 08:03 PM
    One thing to remember is that many of the phones were already spoken for via preorders. It's a similar thing that happens with the iPhone, as stores get an initial shipment that primarily covers preorders and that leaves a lesser amount for immediate sale for those that didn't preorder their devices. There will be a time frame in which all stores will get small daily shipments until production numbers can catch up. I'm guessing that for the next several weeks, a significant amount of Z10s manufactured will be earmarked for the US release of the device with the remaining amount being spread amongst the countries in which the Z10 will have been released in prior to the US release.

Perhaps this shortage is the work of BlackBerry themselves, as it makes for good press for there to be articles talking about stores selling out of the Z10. The shortages may be artificially created to generate a buzz.
    02-06-13 08:03 PM
    Because no one received very many of them.
    howarmat, kevinnugent and Drew808 like this.
    02-06-13 08:04 PM
    I had the same problem at Telus. Went to the store to get one at 3pm yesterday and got the "last one". So, I suggested sales must be really going well. The salesperson told me they actually only received 10 in store for sale.
    It's funny that you mention that because the Telus store where I purchased mine only had 10 also.
    02-06-13 08:06 PM
    The people who think the shortage was a smart planned move are probably the same who thought the superbowl commercial was good. Maybe on day 1 or day 2 but after that it just encourages people to pick up a different brand of phone.
    02-06-13 08:09 PM
    BlackBerry's share of sales/quarter had reduced so much that carriers and retailers didn't stock very many Z10 devices to begin with. They'd be replenishing their inventory very soon, now that they know there is demand for it.
    CDLacey likes this.
    02-06-13 08:10 PM
    I think @vespajet is right - current volume of Z10s in Canada are filling the pre-orders. Both Rogers and BlackBerry commented that the Z10 has been the most successful model during launch.

Another potential factor could be a more cautious approach to production stemming from the PlayBook (and arguably the BB7) experience. Remember headlines like these? The impact from the discounting, bad press and stale shipments definitely forced BlackBerry to really PUSH for a great launch... but PlayBook wasn't even mentioned at the BB10 launch event! It was a prototype device that will be revisited or forgotten.

But back the Z10 supply: pre-orders + 10 a day/location and stores are still selling out. Good sign of traction for BB10.
    02-06-13 08:56 PM
    One thing to remember is that many of the phones were already spoken for via preorders. It's a similar thing that happens with the iPhone, as stores get an initial shipment that primarily covers preorders and that leaves a lesser amount for immediate sale for those that didn't preorder their devices. There will be a time frame in which all stores will get small daily shipments until production numbers can catch up. I'm guessing that for the next several weeks, a significant amount of Z10s manufactured will be earmarked for the US release of the device with the remaining amount being spread amongst the countries in which the Z10 will have been released in prior to the US release.

Perhaps this shortage is the work of BlackBerry themselves, as it makes for good press for there to be articles talking about stores selling out of the Z10. The shortages may be artificially created to generate a buzz.

The shortages are not BlackBerry's doing. They have plenty of devices to go around. It was the carriers' shortsightedness. They can sell more devices in Canada and the UK than anyone imagined and it still wouldn't hamper US availabilty. Unless their carriers do the same thing.
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    02-06-13 09:02 PM
    It also a issue of how many vendor location are being supplies.... across Canada it would be enormous. .. Unlike Apple who in the past tended to release to just Apple Stores which service a wide area..... it makes people flock to one location..;. As BB has not sold well in the past you can hardly blame the Carriers for being cautious.... they probably did order minimal for sale units per store and concentrated on pre-sales on launch day... number of units carried by a given store is usually determined by store size and surrounding population...they gauge respoinse and restock accordingly... standard retail practice... As to how good the sales were.... only when BB reports actual numbers are released or we see the sell through numbers we cannot know for sure.... One thing that is for sure BB managed to create some positive bizz around BB10 which in the past they have not been able to....
    02-06-13 09:08 PM
    A business like Blackberry has to estimate future sales as best they can. Pre-release they surely had estimates and they were too low.

There is no way they are intending for this to happen.
    02-06-13 09:10 PM
    We pre-ordered from our business contact so we got four delivered to our office before lunch on the first day. That is four that wouldn't be available for sale in the store. If this is what happening, then you won't see many in the stores.
    02-06-13 09:11 PM
    The shortages are not BlackBerry's doing. They have plenty of devices to go around. It was the carriers' shortsightedness. They can sell more devices in Canada and the UK than anyone imagined and it still wouldn't hamper US availabilty. Unless their carriers do the same thing.
    Good reminder that BlackBerry has got to win back the confidence of not only the consumer & enterprise client, but carriers & retailers.
    Tom689 likes this.
    02-06-13 09:13 PM
    Why the shortage? Why are they selling out?

I can answer both questions...

There are soooo many carrier location that the devices are spending between them all.

They are selling out because they're AWESOME!
    02-06-13 09:13 PM
    Anyone here have a corporate account? I do and we are still waiting and waiting for our z10, we were told by Rogers that there was no pre order list for corporate accounts and a few days before launch they somehow realised that there was a list and put our names on it. Still waiting with no eta. You would think that corp accounts would get somekind of preference??
    02-06-13 10:08 PM
    It serves a few purposes. First, gives the impression of a highly sought after product, which, in theory, drives up demand, second, allowed for an unknown demand to begin with so could have saved carriers from overstocking, and third, sales get drawn out over a period and shows it's not just a pent up demand and a one shot deal while we all upgrade. The resulting trends of all of these scenarios are valuable to the public, the media, and to the shareholders.
    02-06-13 10:16 PM
    10 per shipment per store is probably a large amount, considering market share of BB at this point in time. I wonder if that is caused by the store owners who are being cautious when ordering supply or BB.
    02-06-13 11:02 PM
    The so-called analysts said the sales would not be very great. The sales exceeded anything Blackberry had in their history for the demand. In some areas they were completely sold out!
    02-06-13 11:05 PM
    I don't think that you are right about reserved devices getting the first inventory and the rest of us just waiting to buy. What happened to me was that some fido stores have a first come first served policy and some only offer pre orders. So my search of 5 fido stores proved this. Than royal york store in toronto said that they will put one for me a side next day when they get their shipment. But another employee informed me when I called to pick it up that they only received 2 devices and they are up for grabs only for the new customers. This is the carrier manipulation of product because I have attended Sony experia event at the destilary and the rogers suply chain manager was talking to one of the Sony people next to me and said "I will short stock the iPhone because the demand will be there regardless to give you guys (sony) room for your delayed launch" carriers do this all the time.
    02-06-13 11:49 PM
    Few Z10s around mississauga region...rogers is sold out at the mall but rogers locations around said they are in stock. Wirelesswave has instock at square one when I called today. On the phone rogers said their warehouse has alot in stock ready to ship out. Call in and order the device...
    ibpluto likes this.
    02-06-13 11:56 PM
    I don't think that you are right about reserved devices getting the first inventory and the rest of us just waiting to buy. What happened to me was that some fido stores have a first come first served policy and some only offer pre orders. So my search of 5 fido stores proved this. Than royal york store in toronto said that they will put one for me a side next day when they get their shipment. But another employee informed me when I called to pick it up that they only received 2 devices and they are up for grabs only for the new customers. This is the carrier manipulation of product because I have attended Sony experia event at the destilary and the rogers suply chain manager was talking to one of the Sony people next to me and said "I will short stock the iPhone because the demand will be there regardless to give you guys (sony) room for your delayed launch" carriers do this all the time.
    02-06-13 11:59 PM
    So these phones are packages at the manufacturers specifically for the various carriers, right? So why wouldn't BB just send them to the carriers' warehouse and let them distribute them as they see fit? I don't see why they wouldn't if they are already manufactured because sitting in a BB warehouse does them no good, they can't turn around and send them to another manufacturer if need be. They just aren't compatible.
    It must be either a shortage due to more demand than they were willing to build for or the carriers didn't want to take that many on board in case it bombed.
    02-07-13 07:15 AM
    If Blackberry's manufacturer had 1,000,000 14 year olds working 80 hr weeks - there would be no shortage.
    metz9444 likes this.
    02-07-13 07:20 AM
    So these phones are packages at the manufacturers specifically for the various carriers, right? So why wouldn't BB just send them to the carriers' warehouse and let them distribute them as they see fit? I don't see why they wouldn't if they are already manufactured because sitting in a BB warehouse does them no good, they can't turn around and send them to another manufacturer if need be. They just aren't compatible.
    It must be either a shortage due to more demand than they were willing to build for or the carriers didn't want to take that many on board in case it bombed.
    Maybe the carriers didn't want that many?
    02-07-13 07:30 AM
    if you go to one of the larger areas in the GTA where they get higher volumes of customers they will have a greater ammount, the smallr shops will only have a few and the rest will be for pre orders.

i went to vaughan mills rogers and they had just finished a rush of people before i got in and while i was there anotehr 15 people came iin looking for the Z10. it all has to do with the volume of the store on how many devices each is sent from the actual carrier
    02-07-13 07:38 AM
71 123