So from what I've been seeing, it seems that BlackBerry is moving towards placing the power button on the sides of devices v.s. Top.

True or false?

Is anyone else bothered by this? Don't get me started on non removable batteries.

From a holding and function standpoint the more buttons on the side the more room for error and inadvertent powering off in pockets.

Plus the silver button on top of the new devices immediately signals a bb10. It looks hot!

I don't get it. Can someone help me see the benefits and design logic behind this if true?

From my z30
    07-26-14 08:18 AM
    Androids have the power button on the sides....maybe they are striving to be like the mainstream?
    07-26-14 08:20 AM
    Androids have the power button on the sides....maybe they are striving to be like the mainstream?
    Yikes. Hope you are kidding jaydee!

From my z30
    07-26-14 08:33 AM
    Android devices have it for ergonomics. When holding the device with your right hand, in most cases the power button is right where your thumb is. Idk why BlackBerry put the power button on the left side for the z3. Doesn't make much sense to me unless you're left handed.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 08:38 AM
    But I grab my phone by the sides when I pick it up. I figure most people do. So why more buttons that can get in the way?

So Z3 is on left side? What about passport?

In the renders of potential new devices they are on the right I believe.

So now we are full of inconsistencies in devices?

It terms of ergonomics, if I need to use both hands on a device then the top button is just as easy to navigate IMO. Even right now on my z30 I can easily reach the top one handed, and I don't have large hands.

From my z30
    07-26-14 08:55 AM
    As phones have increased in height/length (larger screens) it is more difficult to press that power button on top one handed. The power buttons on the side allow for a one handed grip and the thumb to reach the power button.
    07-26-14 08:58 AM
    As phones have increased in height/length (larger screens) it is more difficult to press that power button on top one handed. The power buttons on the side allow for a one handed grip and the thumb to reach the power button.
    I see the point. But if I have to use two hands anyways due to the size increase, is it a real difference?

I see more inconvenience with the button on side iMHO.. More buttons to inadvertently touch all the time and confuse.

Plus again the aesthetics and placement differentiate it from other phones on the market.

Is the iPhone 6 moving it's button to the side given the size increase I wonder?

From my z30
    07-26-14 09:17 AM
    OP do you by any chance suffer of OCD? And another question why does it matter where the power button is...!?
    Just think about it from an engineering point of view, you want to place the components where they don't conflict with each other. Specially if the device is single boarded, as most mobile devices are nowadays.

Same goes for removable batteries, as boards become more complex and get somewhat bigger. They cannot afford to have the battery slots, previous generation smart phones enjoyed of.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    07-26-14 09:48 AM
    OP do you by any chance suffer of OCD? And another question why does it matter where the power button is... just think about it from and engineering point of view you want to place the components where they don't conflict with each other especially if the device is single boarded, as most mobile devices are nowadays.
    Agree. Although I also agree about the OP that the power button should be segregated to prevent accidental presses.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    07-26-14 09:53 AM
    In the last few months, I've used/reviewed devices with power buttons on the side, top and even the back of the device

I get the ergonomics point, but I don't think putting it on the off side will bother people too much in and of itself.
    07-26-14 10:07 AM
    The button on the top doesn't bother me, as much as how it's programmed. Holding down the button turns the device off. If your phone is in your pocket and you lean forward while sitting, it's possible to shut the device off in your pocket. Its happened a few times to me on my Z10. There needs to be a sequence to power it off. Like press and hold, then maybe a swipe or gesture to confirm.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 10:14 AM
    OP do you by any chance suffer of OCD? And another question why does it matter where the power button is...!?
    Just think about it from an engineering point of view, you want to place the components where they don't conflict with each other. Specially if the device is single boarded, as most mobile devices are nowadays.

Same goes for removable batteries, as boards become more complex and get somewhat bigger. They cannot afford to have the battery slots, previous generation smart phones enjoyed of.

Do you need to include comments about OCD in your post? What purpose does that serve?

Thanks for the information regarding batteries, makes absolute sense from an engineering perspective but also as a user the convenience of spare batteries as a traveler is useful also a lot easier to fix battery issues.

Your comments regarding the button are insightful but still don't offer much to me in regards to the my points made about conflict of having too many buttons in one place and also creating design inconsistencies across the brand.

Keep it classy crackberry.com

From my z30
    07-26-14 10:21 AM
    The button on the top doesn't bother me, as much as how it's programmed. Holding down the button turns the device off. If your phone is in your pocket and you lean forward while sitting, it's possible to shut the device off in your pocket. Its happened a few times to me on my Z10. There needs to be a sequence to power it off. Like press and hold, then maybe a swipe or gesture to confirm.

Posted via CB10
    I like that idea.

From my z30
    07-26-14 10:23 AM
    I hate to say I disagree, but one of the things that drives me crazy about my BB is that I I have to shift my entire hand position to hit the top button whereas on my other phone with a side button I just reach up with my thumb and shut it off. Its all just personal preference and what one is used to . . .
    07-26-14 11:20 AM
    I like that idea.

From my z30
    This is how iOS devices power down. Maybe the sequence is patented by Apple? If not, BB should use it. Much better.
    07-26-14 11:28 AM
    This is how iOS devices power down. Maybe the sequence is patented by Apple? If not, BB should use it. Much better.
    Same with Android, far as I know.
    07-26-14 11:29 AM
    Android devices have it for ergonomics. When holding the device with your right hand, in most cases the power button is right where your thumb is. Idk why BlackBerry put the power button on the left side for the z3. Doesn't make much sense to me unless you're left handed.

Posted via CB10
    Or you use the Index like a trigger.
    (if ever it is true)

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    07-26-14 11:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Happened to me with the Q10, too... tight Jeans, sat down, shut down!

07-26-14 11:33 AM

I don't have OCD and I prefer the power button on the top like the OP. I feel that when the power button is on the side (either side) it's just asking to be accidentally pushed. Asking if someone has OCD because of where they prefer the power button is not very nice. People have a right to opinion and preference.
    sebstarr likes this.
    07-26-14 11:34 AM
    Happened to me with the Q10, too... tight Jeans, sat down, shut down!

Now see if apple did that it would be considered a "amazing" innovation . . I can hear Tim Cook now . . "no need to touch a button, just sit down and your phone shuts down; isn't that just amazing?!" . . or something like that . . .
    07-26-14 11:36 AM
    I like the idea of placing the power button on the side. On a few occasions i've accidentally turned off my device while placing it in my pocket and pushing it down (button pressed) into my pocket (while wearing jeans). Placing it in an area such that is wouldn't get pressed accidentally is my preference, it's not like I need to power it down very often, rarely in fact.

Z30 on 10.2.1 in Kitchener (Canada)
    07-26-14 11:45 AM
    I think it is on the top right of the passport so not sure what this is about. Why!? Power buttons on side v.s. top. Discuss.-imageuploadedbycb-forums1406393328.666273.jpgWhy!? Power buttons on side v.s. top. Discuss.-imageuploadedbycb-forums1406393340.261491.jpg
    07-26-14 11:49 AM
    I find that I hit the top button on my q10 as I push it into my pocket, unlocking the screen. Then as I move around the touch sensitive screen picks up movements and enacts them. Sometimes calling people, zooming the screen etc. I could use the picture lock I guess, but that would be a hassle ever time I opened the phone. Maybe the button on the side would alleviate this?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 12:00 PM
    I want them on top...
    More so if I can just swipe to wake up my BB10 phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 12:10 PM
    It's more convenient on the side with a larger phone. Your fingers are already placed on the side of the phone, no need to move your finger or your hand ( depending how big/small your hands are or the phone) all the way up just to shut it down/lock it.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 12:12 PM
34 12