(Some)minorities might think what they do specifically is out of the box, just because it requires and can only be done with specific phone (while actually it doesn't).

But yeah whatever, it's just a phone afterall. LOL..
    07-05-19 08:50 AM
    It's a fact that slab designers assume scrolling and zooming are the bests way to navigate almost everything, including large spreadsheets and documents where, on a PC, no rational person would try to scroll with a mouse.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Scrolling with the hardware scrollbar on mouse is fine, but scrolling by clicking the soft scrollbar on screen then drag it ups and downs is just pain.
    07-05-19 08:58 AM
    Try side scrolling on a pc with an "ordinary" wheel mouse... lol. Of course, arrow keys get used a lot on my PC. Once to the desired cell (or word or sentence or?) PC mouse can precisely select data to edit, move, etc.

Most phones side scroll easily enough (assuming you don't accidentally select something. Lol). Precisely selecting portions of data within the cell, word, sentence, etc is where touch UI becomes frustrating. 9900's trackpad effortlessly scrolls both vertically and horizontally. A quick trackpad click, without even lifting thumb, opens the cell. Simple side scroll positions cursor within the data with unmatched precision. All without lifting thumb from trackpad. Shift+scroll effortlessly selects desired text. Etc, etc.... Effortless, almost relaxing. Once mastered, that is.

It all works so well that I've often advocated for MS to sell a 9900 inspired spreadsheet editing appliance! The thing is truly THAT good at it! Don't believe me? Bolds are dirt cheap. Try it yourself! My company has already relegated a fleet of old deactivated Bolds to just that service. Life after life, so to speak. Lol.

Anyone who does much editing, including spreadsheets, might find this heads up usefull. Those who don't, won't.
    07-05-19 12:53 PM

Anyone who does much editing, including spreadsheets, might find this heads up usefull. Those who don't, won't.
    Well said!
    07-05-19 03:25 PM
    Scrolling with the hardware scrollbar on mouse is fine, but scrolling by clicking the soft scrollbar on screen then drag it ups and downs is just pain.
    Agreed. Especially if you have a mouse where you can adjust the resolution on the fly.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    chain13 likes this.
    07-05-19 05:19 PM
    I don't know what bugs someone complaining about excel in touchscreen or what excel version he/she is refering to. I personally has no issue scrolling up down, left and right in touchscreen excel without misstouching a column and screw up the text inside. In fact, to edit the text inside we have to tap on the exact column and edit the text through the fx field. So the texts in each columns are pretty much safe from misstouching while scrolling. Even in word document, there is a mode to preview and edit to prevent that kind of misstouching, by double tapping to enter edit mode and then simply press back to back to preview mode. All in one single handedly easy.

And for anybody who possess a skill of moving cursor and blocking texts in any documents on touchscreen phone without even need a physical-combination-hardware-keys should be proud of themself.Why are PKB smartphones going away?-20190706_065033.jpg
    I'm no office person actually, I'm an engineer that in the most of my works also require office skills. Sometime I work on document with electronic part with PN and SN (serial number) where specific symbols are used and no text prediction is gonna work to complete my typing, I would consider my use case as hard unique or specific. And in my years of working, I've never encountered an office task problem (on desk or mobile) that force me to use only small-one hand-lightweight-set of buttons device (readhone) to be (what they called) productive just because my clients want to be served in their most leisure and laziest position possible. It's ridiculous. For me personally, I feel more than invincible just doing this level of office tasks on whatever mobile device I bring.
    Last edited by chain13; 07-05-19 at 10:48 PM.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-05-19 10:02 PM
    I don't know what bugs someone complaining about excel in touchscreen or what excel version he/she is refering to. I personally has no issue scrolling up down, left and right in touchscreen excel without misstouching a column and screw up the text inside. In fact, to edit the text inside we have to tap on the exact column and edit the text through the fx field. So the texts in each columns are pretty much safe from misstouching while scrolling. Even in word document, there is a mode to preview and edit to prevent that kind of misstouching, by double tapping to enter edit mode and then simply press back to back to preview mode. All in one single handedly easy.

And for anybody who possess a skill of moving cursor and blocking texts in any documents on touchscreen phone without even need a physical-combination-hardware-keys should be proud of themself.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190706_065033.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	445133
    I'm no office person actually, I'm an engineer that in the most of my works also require office skills. Sometime I work on document with electronic part with PN and SN (serial number) where specific symbols are used and no text prediction is gonna work to complete my typing, I would consider my use case as hard unique or specific. And in my years of working, I've never encountered an office task problem (on desk or mobile) that force me to use only small-one hand-lightweight-set of buttons device (readhone) to be (what they called) productive just because my clients want to be served in their most leisure and laziest position possible. It's ridiculous. For me personally, I feel more than invincible just doing this level of office tasks on whatever mobile device I bring.
    Thanks for the use case example! As an engineer myself, it's refreshing to have something beyond generalities to discuss. Looks somewhat familiar, actually. We do similar stuff sometimes.

Question: why didnt your demonstrated selection include the zero of the 250V. ?? Was your finger obscuring it? Would you mind selecting the 24VDC coil voltage and editing it to 120VAC without disturbing the comma?? Then do that several hundred times and report on fatigue at day's end. Lol.

No one I know of claims it can NOT be done on slab. I do it routinely on D60 slab. Do it routinely on PC. I simply do it faster and more precisely on 9900. With better, less distracted, mission focus. And feel far less fatigue at day's end. I've tested this to ridiculous exhaustion. Lol. For the past 8 years, at least. Side by side in each hand. Countless times. Just can't ignore reality in my own hand. I'm not about to conjecture just what works best for YOUR use case, tho. Only mine.

The value of precise speed all depends on how competitive your competition is. Our clients are FAR from lazy. They have tight production schedules under some very competitive realities Some are 24/7 operations. Two are 11 time zones away. Some measure downtime in many $$ per minute. Some have my competitors on speed dial. Timely availability is a valuable asset for all involved.

My crew's personal life might get interrupted at ANY time. We embrace and enjoy our well compensated jobs. We can all theorize all we want about how ANY handset CAN get the job done. Getting the job done optimally for individual use case is best proven in real world, side by side, comparisons. MY company's real world experience is that availability is optimized when handsets are in hand. Optimally configured handsets are more likely to be in hand. Especially while living life. Lol.

I'm just glad MY competitors seem to mostly agree with you! Lol.
    07-06-19 07:37 AM
    This is ridiculous conversation. But, entertaining!
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    07-06-19 08:22 AM
    Yeah, I just couldn't handle it when some people showing off their use case of works and make it sounds like a big deal to be dealt/done on mobile phone that somehow make something like fullscreen slab looks like a trash, and make them feels so niche. For quite sometime I just showed how I've done exactly what work they do on thing they called unefficient device. They're just saying same, not optimal, blah blah
    Yeah I've heard enough of that

Personally, I don't like showing off mine/my company's use case, I only and always speak for myself without mentioning them or how they or their competitors do, while making it clear that they're wrong by showing how I complete my work in efficient way without even need what they called specific tool. But I guess this is enough show off for today.
    pdr733 likes this.
    07-06-19 09:37 AM
    I actually made 3 gifs before, showing how scrolling and messing around work on touch. But only one upload successes, I've kept the gif as small as possible (less than 5MB). I even got an adware gif maker apps in my phone . This is the last, I'm uninstalling them.

I do think a task as simple as that needs to be classified as a unique or a new category of work (I do, but I don't know others). And yeah I can do this all day. Maybe I'm just born to be well adapted. Seriously, even animal has born with ability to adapt, yeah I mean that.Why are PKB smartphones going away?-unnamed.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Why are PKB smartphones going away?-20190706_210550.jpg  
    07-06-19 09:53 AM
    Yeah, I just couldn't handle it when some people showing off their use case of works and make it sounds like a big deal to be dealt/done on mobile phone that somehow make something like fullscreen slab looks like a trash, and make them feels so niche. For quite sometime I just showed how I've done exactly what work they do on thing they called unefficient device. They're just saying same, not optimal, blah blah
    Yeah I've heard enough of that

Personally, I don't like showing off mine/my company's use case, I only and always speak for myself without mentioning them or how they or their competitors do, while making it clear by how I complete my work in efficient way without even need what they called specific tool. But I guess this is enough show off for today.
    My use case illustrations are meant as instructional and inspirational. If you took it some other way, maybe you're a little sensitive? If it's me you're talking about, please show where I indicated in ANY way that ANYone else's choices are "trash" ... ??? I simply don't concern myself with ANYone else's use case. I apologize if I came across as insulting but truly don't recall any such statements. You, on the other hand, have used words like "absurd", "ridiculous", " lie", "lazy" .... Etc. Do you consider that to be professional behaviour?

If you are so happy with your choices why are you so worried about mine? Does BlackBerry currently market ANYthing you like? If your choices are so universally superior, please provide use case examples. I won't be insulted. Just informed.
    07-06-19 09:55 AM
    Why are PKB smartphones going away?-20190706_210550.jpg
    No sweat
    Last edited by chain13; 07-07-19 at 09:21 AM.
    idssteve likes this.
    07-06-19 09:58 AM
    I actually made 3 gifs before, showing how scrolling and messing around work on touch. But only one upload successes, I've kept the gif as small as possible (less than 5MB). I even got an adware gif maker apps in my phone . This is the last, I'm uninstalling them.

I do think a task as simple as that needs to be classified as a unique or a new category of work (I do, but I don't know others). And yeah I can do this all day. Maybe I'm just born to be well adapted. Seriously, even animal has born with ability to adapt, yeah I mean that.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	445137
    Nice example. I do that too.
    07-06-19 10:02 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190706_210550.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	445138
    THIS is instructional and inspirational. Exactly the collaborative discovery that originally attracted me to CB! Thanks!!
    07-06-19 10:43 AM
    My use case illustrations are meant as instructional and inspirational. If you took it some other way, maybe you're a little sensitive? If it's me you're talking about, please show where I indicated in ANY way that ANYone else's choices are "trash" ... ??? I simply don't concern myself with ANYone else's use case. I apologize if I came across as insulting but truly don't recall any such statements. You, on the other hand, have used words like "absurd", "ridiculous", " lie", "lazy" .... Etc. Do you consider that to be professional behaviour?

If you are so happy with your choices why are you so worried about mine? Does BlackBerry currently market ANYthing you like? If your choices are so universally superior, please provide use case examples. I won't be insulted. Just informed.
    After you said it, I just realised that I didn't quote the exact posts all this time make it sounds sarcatic in some other way duh
    I just enjoyed typing my thoughts, sorry if I insult you.
    07-06-19 10:45 AM
    I too appreciate the real life examples you both displayed. So much better than the general hatred towards one device or another.
    I loved my Bold back in the day. Pocketable, powerful and excellent for what it did. I’ve moved on to devices that suit my needs better but I still wish there was a way to continue to have devices like the Bold (and support) for those unique situations where it rocks.
    chain13 and idssteve like this.
    07-06-19 11:11 AM
    It really depends on what type of spreadsheet work you do. But good to see that it works for some people.
    07-06-19 03:34 PM
    Is there no way to just keep using the 9900 and hooking up with a conventional device via bluetooth or wifi for transmitting your work? Just using the 9900 for data entry?
    07-06-19 04:44 PM
    Is there no way to just keep using the 9900 and hooking up with a conventional device via bluetooth or wifi for transmitting your work? Just using the 9900 for data entry?
    That's exactly what we're doing. Relegating old, deactivated, 99s to data entry appliance service.

One strategy might prove useful, if not entertaining. Lol. I'll share details of that once matured.
    07-06-19 05:31 PM
    That would be time consuming transfering each files between both phone, in case you do hundreds of them and only do that on your phone. Maybe you could use cloud to save the files and access them from both phones. You can do your work in the files online, update them, without even downloading them first in each phones. But Idk if there's a cloud app in OS7 that still got full support from its developer. You know, old phone is too limiting.
    Last edited by chain13; 07-07-19 at 11:36 AM.
    07-06-19 11:32 PM
    We're exploring promising and interesting 99/K2LE "playbook style" options but certainly not high priority, at this point. VZW is killing off 3G 9930s, which is already impacting real time availability on those machines. A BIG deal for us. Our deactivated "data entry appliance" 99's will likely never leave this facility's production floor. ?

Priority focus for us is on LE, at this point. As with most things, each learning curve plateau prompts innovation. Both technique and tool.

LE's no 99 but PKB SpeedDial/Shortcuts, combined with other techniques, assist with preserving "acceptable" availability, at least.
    @chain13 ... What spreadsheet software were you using in your example? Looks interesting but not positive just what it is... ??
    07-07-19 09:17 AM
    We're exploring promising and interesting 99/K2LE "playbook style" options but certainly not high priority, at this point. VZW is killing off 3G 9930s, which is already impacting real time availability on those machines. A BIG deal for us. Our deactivated "data entry appliance" 99's will likely never leave this facility's production floor. ?

Priority focus for us is on LE, at this point. As with most things, each learning curve plateau prompts innovation. Both technique and tool.

LE's no 99 but PKB SpeedDial/Shortcuts, combined with other techniques, assist with preserving "acceptable" availability, at least.
    @chain13 ... What spreadsheet software were you using in your example? Looks interesting but not positive just what it is... ??
    I use stock google spreadsheet. It's lightweight and support some basic text formatting and math formula. In my use case is powerful enough to edit or entry data on the go, I usually create all my work files from PC (in ms office) then continue editing while on the go with my phone (in google spreadsheet) and I have zero format compatibility issue using two different office software. I've been using some other mobile office apps, some of them has format issue like all space characters sometime gone from the text, some of them has very full feature yet the UI is so unprofesional and distracting.

For me google spreadsheet has less distraction in UI elements (which I like) compared to others and no format compatibility issue is a big plus for me. Ms excel mobile is also reliable, it has more cell formatting features compared to google's. But somehow microsoft force you to login and use 365 all the time which is disturbing. The only downside of both is none of them support graph in their mobile version. But the tablet version of ms office mobile somehow has it. I'm gonna consider buying a 8' or 10' tablet if my on the go workloads increase, but for now my phone could still handle it.

Here is the gif of how simply cell formatting works on ms excel mobile that I think is much better than google spreadsheet and others.
    Last edited by chain13; 07-07-19 at 11:21 AM.
    07-07-19 10:03 AM
    "quote post" buttons have strangely disappeared today on this 9930... ??

Try it this way again...

Thanks @chain13. Good info. That's what "break room consensus" was. IT thought it looked like "something else" or other so now we know. Lol.

Like you, our mobile editing consists pretty exclusively of textual editing as data input for much of my dept's mission. No two days ever the same, tho. Spreadsheet generation itself frequently originates from PC CAD stations. Much out of AutoCAD itself.

Field edits are then typically reviewed, analyzed, updated etc at CAD stations. "As found" and "as builts" are frequently derived out of those edits, as one example.

Cloud services thru carrier to handsets have proven more miss than hit in some electrically noisy industrial environments. Wall to wall freq drives can disrupt even good RF at times. Lol. We frequently plug our "data input appliance" 99s into a Toughbook PC to act as usb drives. PC updates all during breaks, etc. Not "real time cloud" but good enough most times. Again, no two days identical.
    chain13 likes this.
    07-07-19 01:34 PM
    Hope I am not too late..... got popcorn!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-07-19 05:12 PM
    I’m not sure about that. I watch my daughters type away on their vkb phones without looking and make it look easy.
    Certainly possible to muscle memory without easy physical cues, but give them a different dimension of VKB, or phone, and they'll be working from scratch with a steeper learning curve. And the error rate is still bound to be at least somewhat higher. Notice how often they hit that delete key. They just tend to hit it with the fury of an old arcade gamer slamming the punch button.
    07-23-19 01:24 AM
639 ... 2223242526