I don't understand why carriers in the US weld so much power over phone makers?

They force makers to change packaging, load crapware, even go far as completely changing the design of the phone to carriers' likings i.e. 3 variations of SGS II in US.

Of course there are makers that won't put up with that crap, but they are rare, in fact only Apple and late Jobs had enough negotiation power to not let att crap on the iPhone.

It's very interesting, since it seems to only happen in the U.S. Take away is, RIM needs to step up and force att to market their phones more. RIM needs to hire more hardline execs that can match the greedy scumbags at att.
    Last edited by ThePoisonBerry; 12-04-11 at 12:57 PM.
    12-04-11 12:54 PM
    The answer is pretty simple, the carriers have the networks and the customers if the manufacturers want to sell phones then they will provide the phones the carriers want.
    tkwolf likes this.
    12-04-11 12:58 PM
    The true answer is that most Americans want subsidised phones. If the carriers subsidise then they get to call the shots.
    12-04-11 01:09 PM
    It's very interesting, since it seems to only happen in the U.S. Take away is, RIM needs to step up and force att to market their phones more. RIM needs to hire more hardline execs that can match the greedy scumbags at att.
    The problem with this is that AT&T's ads are about its network, not particular devices. Those ads may mention particular devices, but they are never about them.
    12-04-11 01:59 PM
    The problem with this is that AT&T's ads are about its network, not particular devices. Those ads may mention particular devices, but they are never about them.
    That's true but the opposite can definitely be done: take iPhone for example. That's some power marketing blitz.
    12-04-11 06:08 PM
    The answer is pretty simple, the carriers have the networks and the customers if the manufacturers want to sell phones then they will provide the phones the carriers want.
    Missing the point. In other countries carriers own the networks and yet they don't make the phone makers their bitches.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    12-04-11 06:09 PM
    That's true but the opposite can definitely be done: take iPhone for example. That's some power marketing blitz.
    Yes, by Apple. The AT&T add talks about data speed and simultaneous voice and data as AT&T attempts to remain ahead of Verizon in iPhone subscribers.
    12-04-11 06:16 PM
    Verizon is the worst by far. I work for a major electronics manufacturer (I ain' tellin'!), and we were to launch phone with Verizon as our exclusive. They kicked it back so many times for revisions they wanted, that the tech that was used became near-obsolete and the phone never launched. A shame, too, because it was a damn beauty. A couple of co-workers still use the protos. Sexy as ****...
    12-04-11 06:20 PM
    Verizon is the worst by far. I work for a major electronics manufacturer (I ain' tellin'!), and we were to launch phone with Verizon as our exclusive. They kicked it back so many times for revisions they wanted, that the tech that was used became near-obsolete and the phone never launched. A shame, too, because it was a damn beauty. A couple of co-workers still use the protos. Sexy as ****...
    Was it this bad boy?

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-merge
    12-04-11 06:31 PM
    is it safe to say, American Market? and that's just about it.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    12-04-11 06:59 PM
    I really don't mind the US carriers. We get subsidised phones and we only get 2 year contracts, compared to Canada's 3.
    moiselles likes this.
    12-05-11 10:50 AM
    I really don't mind the US carriers. We get subsidised phones and we only get 2 year contracts, compared to Canada's 3.
    Agree. No complaints here.
    12-05-11 02:52 PM
    But you end up paying full price of the phone in those two years and higher costs for plans.

It would be cheaper to pay full price and change every year than pay subsidised prices and pay for it over two years. That also includes the cost of finance.
    12-05-11 03:44 PM
    I hope you realize that the reason that not every phone can be used on every carrier in the US is because the carriers here adopted different wireless technologies for their networks. Verizon uses CDMA while AT&T uses GSM. The phones have different antennas.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-05-11 04:07 PM
    I hope you realize that the reason that not every phone can be used on every carrier in the US is because the carriers here adopted different wireless technologies for their networks. Verizon uses CDMA while AT&T uses GSM. The phones have different antennas.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    So do the carriers in India. CDMA exist alongside GSM. Obviously no one can expect one phone to move across both networks.

But the GSM phones in India are all unlocked and so are the CDMA phones.
    I guess its all down to competition. India has many service providers while USA has only 3. They get to dictate terms.
    12-05-11 04:25 PM
    Sam we have more than 3 carriers.....
    12-05-11 04:26 PM
    Sam we have more than 3 carriers.....
    Didn't know of the minor ones. Anyhow, as long as the model works and consumers are happy.

I do hope people realise that every country is different and cultural issues make a model successful in one country while the same business model will be a big failure in another.
    No reason to call Americans stupid over this. I guess its just the world's favourite past time to call Americans "stupid". I normally remind those people to remember which country went to the Moon. Kind of puts an end to that argument.
    12-05-11 04:58 PM
    I was telus mobility's ***** since 2005, I switched on the end of november. I'm free to choose any carrier now.

Just thought I'd post that since the thread's title contained bitches. Lol

PS. We're still the government's bitches.
    12-05-11 05:46 PM
    Regarding Post #16

You can get a 3, 2, or 1 year contract plan in Canada. Each of the Big Three (Telus, Bell, and Rogers) each have a smaller carrier which operates on a PAYG model, or offer monthly tabs, to help mitigate the cost of an unsub'd handsets. Canada, like Europe, has a 3rd party seller on almost every corner of every major city.

The main problem with carriers in Canada, are the costs associated with Data/Voice. Not the length of the contract.
    12-05-11 06:45 PM
    Folks from our Posting Rules & Guidelines.....

Post in the Right Forum
    We’ve done our best to layout the forum categories so they are logical and make sense. When you are creating a new thread, do your best to get it in the right category. We want these forums to be value added and educational. The General CrackBerry Discussion and General RIM/BlackBerry Discussion are good places to post if you have a serious question but are not quite sure where to put it. These forums are less stringently moderated, while specific forums (BlackBerry 8700 Series for example) are more strictly moderated to maintain their quality and usefulness.

And of course, we also have the Off-Topic Discussion forum. This is the place on the site to have fun and talk about whatever. From sports to the weather to what to buy your girlfriend for her birthday (buying her a new blackberry is always a good thing), anything goes in here. Just remember to keep it clean, keep it productive and keep it legal!

Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Reporting a bad post
    There is a "Report bad post" button on the top right side of each post (red/white triangle) or you can send a PM to a moderator.

We now return you to your regularly schedule thread already in progress!
    12-05-11 07:42 PM
    Regarding Post #16

You can get a 3, 2, or 1 year contract plan in Canada. Each of the Big Three (Telus, Bell, and Rogers) each have a smaller carrier which operates on a PAYG model, or offer monthly tabs, to help mitigate the cost of an unsub'd handsets. Canada, like Europe, has a 3rd party seller on almost every corner of every major city.

The main problem with carriers in Canada, are the costs associated with Data/Voice. Not the length of the contract.
    I got off telus because regardless of their fantastic data, I was getting charged huge and big time just for the minimal plan I was on, including charging a late payment fee when the bill was paid on time every time. They wouldn't even remove it off the bill. Wind answered my call with a decent plan I could afford which is now saving me a bunch.
    12-05-11 07:47 PM
    I am not really here to shill for a particular carrier rootbrian...LoL

They all have their strengths and weaknesses depending on how much data you use and how long you have been a customer, to the coverage across the country. I use two of the big three and an independent for my devices. The deals are out there, if you know where to look, and sometimes signing a 1+ year contract can be in your benefit.

Different Strokes (Though, they all cause some form of heart attack at some point!!!)
    12-05-11 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD