why do people still sign contracts on phones that make them pay 60~70 a month while they can just buy a unlocked phone off ebay or kijiji and pay maybe half of that per month? yes the up front cost maybe higher but in the long run you are not locked up with 1 carrier for 3 years (or more if you upgrade) and forced to pay out say over $2000 over 3 years (if not more). so what is the advantage of signing a contract?
    01-23-12 04:31 PM
    Not everyone has the $$ to drop $200 up front for a smart phone let alone $400 - $600 that the average smart phone costs these days.
    And some, like myself are happy their carrier and have been with them yrs anyways so they know they'll be with them for the next 2 yrs (3 here in Canada grrr!) So why bother paying full price.?
    01-23-12 04:36 PM
    but at the end of that 3 year, if you did drop that chunk of money up front, you will have saved hundred if not thousand dollars, so why dont people just save up and buy a unlocked phone instead of being exploited?
    01-23-12 04:38 PM
    Well, in the US, there is little to no advantage to buying unlocked.
    JR A, CanadianThomas and kraski like this.
    01-23-12 04:42 PM
    Yeah.. Because as we all know, phones bought off ebay are always 100% reliable and come with a guarantee. :/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    01-23-12 04:46 PM
    Yeah.. Because as we all know, phones bought off ebay are always 100% reliable and come with a guarantee. :/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    i guess that depends on the brand, blackberries are very resilient, and you can always buy warranty from squaretrade for like 40 or 50 bucks, covers 2 years
    elphie28 likes this.
    01-23-12 04:49 PM
    bbm is not supported on unlocked phones
    true testimony from a previous 8100 and now 9550 owner
    01-23-12 04:53 PM
    i just sold my 9550 yesterday which supports all blackberry services. was unlocked from verizon, used it with fido, personally for 2 years
    01-23-12 04:55 PM
    Well, in the US, there is little to no advantage to buying unlocked.
    That's correct. Also, because of the CDMA/GSM split and different bands for all, there's not the same kind of bargaining power from one carrier to another that other markets may have.
    01-23-12 04:55 PM
    what are you talking about?

my phone is unlocked and i have blackberry services including bbm.

blackberry services have to be provided by your cell carrier, only was i could see it not being support is if the carrier (aka who evers celltowers your using) didn't support Blackberry at all.
    01-23-12 04:56 PM
    That's a load right there!
    01-23-12 05:10 PM
    but at the end of that 3 year, if you did drop that chunk of money up front, you will have saved hundred if not thousand dollars, so why dont people just save up and buy a unlocked phone instead of being exploited?
    A lot of people aren't smart consumers and others don't want to wait for a phone. But I still think my first post is still valid.
    Take me for example (only person I have real background info on )

I've been with my carrier for 5 yrs. I don't plan on changing.
    I originally bought the 9000 as my first smart phone and got it on a 3 year subsidized contract. My bill is $50 a month. Its a mid range smart phone package in Canada. It suits my needs and I wouldn't have gotten anything lower on or off contract so why would I pay full price? I got the plan I need and I know I'll be with my carrier past the next 3 yrs.

I bought a 9700 used off ebay (and my pin and bbm work fine BTW )
    Almost 2 yrs ago. So I'm still under my first contract and I kept the same data plan because its what I need.

Fast forward to Dec, my contract was up so I could get another phone subsidized if I sign another 3 year contract. Knowing that I will stay with my contract and that I am still happy with my $50 plan I signed another contract knowing I won't be switching carries and now I have a new 9790.

So if I look back I could have paid full price for my original 9000 and I would have still gotten the $50 plan and stayed with my carrier. The same logic goes for my 9790. I could have dropped $480 on the 9790 still been with the same carrier and still been paying $50 a month. The only differencer would be I'd have $380 less in my bank account.

Maybe my situation isn't the same for everyone but for me its worked out fine.
    01-23-12 05:11 PM
    With Verizon here in the states the monthly access fee is the exact same price whether I buy the phone from them or bring my own. Can't use unlocked phones on Verizon either, only a Verizon branded phone will work.

I love Verizon service, and I get a great discount through work. So I'm happy signing a contract with them for 2 years in exchange for a deeply discounted phone.

If I ever have an issue with my phone I want to give Verizon a call and have them deal with the issue and send me out a phone under warranty if needed. I don't want to deal with any 3rd party warranty service or anything through Ebay.
    01-23-12 05:14 PM
    In the United States at least, there is really no advantage of buying a brand new phone unlocked. The plan still costs the same whether you sign a 2yr agreement or you bring your own phone and go month-to-month.

So if you bought a Bold 9900 for $400 off contract, and signed up with AT&T, you'd pay the normal price each month for your plan, but now you're out of $400 right off the top; vs paying say $200 for the 9900, and paying the same amount each month for the plan. Makes no sense to do so. In fact, in some cases it's better to be in a contract because you can be grandfathered into special perks if a carrier switches their plan structure. If you're month to month, you have to deal with the changes or leave.
    Last edited by jranciano; 01-23-12 at 05:26 PM.
    01-23-12 05:24 PM
    BBM works perfectly on my unlocked 9810. You sir are mistaken.
    JR A likes this.
    01-23-12 05:26 PM
    Here in Canada its the same thing as US. The plan isn't any cheaper if you bring your own phone. I know its crazy but its true.
    01-23-12 05:28 PM
    I may be missing something, but in Canada the plan price is the same whether you are on contract or not. Why not just take the discount on the phone, especially a few months after a new phome is introduced and the price has gone down.

The contract also has other benefits. Since it is cheaper to retain a contract customer than the cost of finding a customer to replace you, the carrier will offer you other support and incentives than an uncontracted customer.
    01-23-12 05:34 PM
    i mean for unlocked phones u can choose cheaper carriers instead of the three big expensive ones. for me i only do $25 a month, while if i am on plan, i would have to do 50 a month (my friend is on that) and he gets the same services i do
    01-23-12 05:36 PM
    its simple economics why people get contracts, it allows you to spread the price out rather than a lump sum.

heres a perfect example of how contracts work well for the consumer
    my 9900 cost me �150 up front and �36 per month on a 12 month plan. thats a total of �582.
    a new 9900 would cost me (current price) �470 ish, then add a tarriff which is suitable for BIS and Data, and the cheapest one about is �15 a month. so the total that way over a year would be �650.
    Basically, by having mine that on contract rather than outright purchase i would of saved myself �68 (apx $100).
    however i have more mins than the basic package, so a sim contract for my use would be �20 a month. or another �60 over the year. so i effectively saved �128.

obivously it all depends on where you are, your useage pattern and if you have the lump sum to purchase, but buying outright isnt normally the cheapest option after youve added the service in for the same length as a contract would be.
    01-23-12 05:36 PM
    Where does your numbers come from? Att's plans are the same weither you have a contract or not.
    My contract is for 2 yrs. For me its just a numbers thing. For att to get out of contract early its something like $250. So most of the time I save around $200 on my phone by signing a contract. I save $350 with my 9860. So if something in the future happens and
    I can't keep up my contract I break even by buying it out. If whatt ever happens keeps me from being able to buy out or pay the bill then I guess I really don't care either way its out of my control.
    01-23-12 05:37 PM
    Where does your numbers come from? Att's plans are the same weither you have a contract or not.
    My contract is for 2 yrs. For me its just a numbers thing. For att to get out of contract early its something like $250. So most of the time I save around $200 on my phone by signing a contract. I save $350 with my 9860. So if something in the future happens and
    I can't keep up my contract I break even by buying it out. If whatt ever happens keeps me from being able to buy out or pay the bill then I guess I really don't care either way its out of my control.

i forgot to mention, i live in canada, so i take $50*36=1900 and then add on the tax is over 2000. i browsed the big carriers and none of them seem to have a plan that is under 42(before tax)

while if i have an unlocked phone, i spend around $30 a month (after tax), which would be just over 1000 and i can sell the phone whenever i want to get a new one
    Last edited by Silverfern; 01-23-12 at 05:42 PM.
    01-23-12 05:40 PM
    Since a large segment of the mobile market is now occupied by all sort of tweens and younger adults, the scenario that everyone has the cash to drop on a new phone just isn't true. Signing a contract when you are new to the mobile market makes sense. Students and others who do not have 500-700 to spend can get a deal and by signing up for a one, or multi-year plan can get a deal on their device.

People who do not feel the need to constantly change their devices can stay with a device until their carrier offers them an upgrade. Since plans do not generally change on the price you paid for it, why pay more an an unsub'd handset if you do not have to.
    01-23-12 05:50 PM
    i forgot to mention, i live in canada, so i take $50*36=1900 and then add on the tax is over 2000. i browsed the big carriers and none of them seem to have a plan that is under 42(before tax)

while if i have an unlocked phone, i spend around $30 a month (after tax), which would be just over 1000 and i can sell the phone whenever i want to get a new one
    Everyone's needs for their plans is different. For you, you only need ther $30 plan so it makes sense. If I only needed a $30 plan I'd do the same thing but since I need a more expensive plan it makes sense for me to sign a contract and get the phone cheaper up front.

Find the plan that suits your needs then decide which option is better for you.
    01-23-12 05:57 PM

Do you have BlackBerry service at that price?
    01-23-12 06:04 PM
    Do you have BlackBerry service at that price?
    yeah i got my voice plan at 15 and unlimited BBM and email at an additional 10 so 25, and after tax its like 30?
    01-23-12 06:10 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD